London Bangkok via EBC - 66 days - Jul 2017

monkeyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We leave on this years trip a month today:) I can't seem to close my other thread:(

I plan to do it over again next year and go via EBC if we can. Take a look here if you're interested.

Ta

I did this myself on a BMW G650x. Some of the roads were bad but not enough to warrant the sore arse I suffered. I reckon a bigger bike will serve you well.
I wrote a book about it, 'Those Two Idiots' which is free this weekend, 16th and 17th to download from Amazon. There's a link in the Ride Reports section. My friend had a KTM 950 and he was more comfortable but... well, read the book.

This trip looks epic and I'm very tempted indeed - or is a 1200 GSAdv too big to take?!!

Perfect bike for this mate. 95 percent of the roads are tarmac (of one standard or another!), the other stuff is bread and butter to the GS. There will be a few rough roads but they're getting better all the time:)

I did this myself on a BMW G650x. Some of the roads were bad but not enough to warrant the sore arse I suffered. I reckon a bigger bike will serve you well.
I wrote a book about it, 'Those Two Idiots' which is free this weekend, 16th and 17th to download from Amazon. There's a link in the Ride Reports section. My friend had a KTM 950 and he was more comfortable but... well, read the book.

'Free' is one of my favourite words. I'll take a look.

Judging by your other post, have you slipped the 2017 trip into 2018 - or have you managed to find another job and its on for 2017? :blast

Bazzer

Sorry Bazzer - I'm just a stupid tart and should have cleared this up. I've not found another job but I've decided life is too short to sit about worrying about it so 2017 is back on. Details here

Sorry again Bazzer! The only difference is that we wont go to EBC. The route through Tibet goes above 5000m quite a few times anyway, max is 5240 I think, and EBC adds a load more (expensive) days. That's if we're allowed to go through Tibet anyway, you can never guarantee it.

I've been thinking about this the last few weeks. As this is probably the last trip I'll do through China, that I'll add a couple of days to the China leg and go to see the Great Wall, and then go south through Tibet. Kill two birds with one stone:)

London to Bangkok 2017/

Good addition. There are some great tracks S / SE of Urümqi! I look forward to meeting in January.

Looks like we're going ahead this year if you're interested. And we're 'probably' going to EBC...

Looks like we're going ahead this year if you're interested. And we're 'probably' going to EBC...

Skyped with monkeyboy and other recruits last night. Trip is going to be amazing, especially Everest Base Camp. I'm in. Now need to buy the bike - I'll be lurking in the For Sale forum.

Good to see you all last night. So we've all decided to aim to go to EBC. Let's hope we get there!

Before I go, can anyone help me put this back together:)

IMG_1609.jpg

Back
Top Bottom