Garmin Zumo 390/395

Backroader

Reaction score
My first post for many a long day...........just some general rambling questions as my Zumo 550 needs replacing as the buttons have fallen out over time.

FRANCE (and those other countries that do not allow camera info)
Whilst the sat navs cannot come with camera alert signs or noise do they sort of treat those areas in some other way, treat them as a hazard and give another type of alert. Or are camera areas (in France) just ignored totally.

RED LIGHTS etc
I note that the 395 has alerts for these and other hazards like sharp curves, railway lines. What format do these alerts take. I only view my sat nav and never listen to instructions (means a 390 would be ok for me).

MOUNTING
I had my Zumo 550 mounted on the support bar of a 1200GSA screen and it worked very well. Does/can the 390/395 mount the same.

I've been hesitant for a while as I know Mapsource very well to plot my intricate back roads routes but looking at Basecamp it does not seem so easy. Guess I am resistant to change and will have to bite the bullet.

Many thanks

My first post for many a long day...........just some general rambling questions as my Zumo 550 needs replacing as the buttons have fallen out over time.

Whilst the sat navs cannot come with camera alert signs or noise do they sort of treat those areas in some other way, treat them as a hazard and give another type of alert. Or are camera areas (in France) just ignored totally.

RED LIGHTS etc
I note that the 395 has alerts for these and other hazards like sharp curves, railway lines. What format do these alerts take. I only view my sat nav and never listen to instructions (means a 390 would be ok for me).

MOUNTING
I had my Zumo 550 mounted on the support bar of a 1200GSA screen and it worked very well. Does/can the 390/395 mount the same.

I've been hesitant for a while as I know Mapsource very well to plot my intricate back roads routes but looking at Basecamp it does not seem so easy. Guess I am resistant to change and will have to bite the bullet.

Many thanks

Both devices will work with Mapsource so you continue with that unless you want to learn Basecamp. I have a 390 and use Mapsource with opensteetmap maps ( I have the latest Garmin maps too but they are not a detailed or accurate)

As for alerts for sharp bends etc. If you need these you really should consider giving up biking! There is no such thing as a bend that tightens up without warning, only warning signs that you did not see. Use your eyes, they are more versatile and reliable than your SatNav for reading the road.

John

John

Thanks

Of course I do not need the alerts I just actually wondered if they were annoying - like every sharp bend you come too a red light comes on or similair

RED LIGHTS etc

MOUNTING

Many thanks

Somebody posted on here "dangerous road segment warnings" used by Garmin. Check it out.

Back
Top Bottom