another great idea

what have i done

Reaction score
In a moment of madness in 2015 I sold my bike,, and most of my gear! Horrified at the sight of my pride and joy wasting away in the shed,, There always seemed to be something preventing me getting on it… a Broken hand, dogs to walk, The garden, a new “old” house to renovate with an unmade lane for access… So I decided it had to go!

My better half suggested I was mad and should buy another and be quick about it! Something that didn’t need polishing that could handle the lane.. I didn’t need much persuading. So my criteria for a replacement

• Can manage an unmade road
• Light enough to throw into my van to take with us to the house ( in Spain)
• In its “working clothes” so I wouldn’t worry about it lurking unloved in the shed.

Easy a 400cc enduro I thought.. “Make sure it’s got a more comfortable pillion than the last one” hmm this complicated things.. Obvious really I bought an 1150 GS! And me with a 30” inside leg.

A year on and it had grown on me. But I had some issues

• The seat is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat on
• The wiring sheathing was disintegrating
• I was struggling to accept what every advert describes as “usual corrosion”

So in Feb this year I decided to give it a bit of TLC before its March MOT….. It’s been emotional!

There is another thread being posted of a rebuild by someone who writes better than I and my endeavours pretty much mirror his except he has accident damage and I had corrosion! So I haven’t posted my progress, but I am getting near a stage where I can start reassembly and will no doubt soon need help. So

Summary of problems

• More snapped bolts than I care to remember.. including the exhaust bolts (a week of evenings on those alone) and worse still the swingarm to gearbox pivot
• Fuel tank lining flaking off
• Wheels impossible to clean.

My project was interrupted by a purchase of a tractor that needed overhauling.. and I must say that a 30 yr. old tractor that has lived outside and worked for a living was in much better shape and its paint finishes superior..

Anyway the tank coating was stripped and the tank de rusted and a new epoxy sealer applied. Due to some of the chemicals used the external paint has suffered a bit of damage so I had the underside of the tank blasted. I wasn’t planning a “panel respray” as they were all good,, but they will now all get painted (maybe a different colour)

All snapped bolts Heli coiled and every metal part sent for blasting… after six weeks of excuses the sand blast man said he couldn’t do the engine and box, Apparently “soda” wasn’t aggressive enough and he wouldn’t do them with anything else in case some found its way inside!
Anyway after a lot effort I finally got everything blasted ( I had to get most of the coating on the engine off myself and take it back for a light blasting to key up inaccessible areas” so pretty much everything is painted.. I had meant to have them powdercoated.. but having seen what happens when moisture gets under it I decided to paint them with 2k paint.. no powder/plastic coating for me ever.. sadly my wheels were already in being powder coated and spoked … lovely they are too

i can maybe post some pics.. if there is interest...and i work out how

Yes please do post - as the owner of a well travelled and little polished 1150 I am very interested.

9629c7c2bef079eb47d972cb33deef89.jpg

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Ok it seems tap talk is working today so I am going to "machine gun some pics"

Gearbox repair
8db4669200551dc4a9f390b0b38aa019.jpg

the hole was bored out and a new bush pressed in and welded

A very thick coat of 2k primer.
The "finned" bits are covered as I didn't want too much "build" on the fins and they are a nightmare to sand again
a12a640dc8146368589361734a6d7268.jpg
3c9b6098fe8ea1f030d719b4f781c587.jpg
f0d0e7a926388715828d53e0e9535c21.jpg

After priming I sprayed some black on as a guide .. and sanded it off... or tried to ��[
b4e093e2ef88761f9f99085798bbcaf2.jpg
83fc7f45c3a7f0cc822134f9530b98dc.jpg

And tonight I took off the rocker covers and front cover.. I don't want to paint over gaskets or parts that might need taking off.. a bit more masking and its ready for painting.
I intend to use "wet on wet primer. (A first for me) so I can immediately apply the base coat without sanding. . (Obviously it has to dry). fingers crossed it will be painted by the weekend. . And the build can start.
9613ab72021edd15366fa81502129d4f.jpg
74ede2b1d484334fd68ced416e01f0c0.jpg
e501d422f4beea6bbff7d54c29366a2b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom