HESKETH V1000

Pete D

Reaction score
As Jonnie Comet asked......

I've always hankered after unusual bikes, and the Hesketh story lit my fire as a spotty youth. As it happened, an old mate started talking about the one he owned.....and mentioned that he was Chair of the Owners Club (all 80 or so members of it...)...so I asked him to keep an ear to the ground for one at a reasonable price that needed some fettling..

The result is below:

It didn't arrive in this state, and was truly filthy, running on one cylinder and with paint flaking all over the place. Furthermore, both silencers were rusted out.... This pic was taken on first foray out of the workshop after winter fettling/servicing etc.

I have managed to get it running consistently on both (from the smell of the oil, it had been running on one for quite some considerable time - ever since an 'expert' wired both ignition system live wires to just one of the 2 coils I suspect), encouraged the silencers to part company with the downpipes, and replaced the cans with shorty reverse megaphones (just until I find a NOS right side can to match the left one I have sourced).

The bike is an original Daventry factory model, the third off the line of 139 or so bikes - it left the factory on the same day as bikes One and Two... I have the original Hesketh-stamped full tool kit, and even the signed letter from Lord Hesketh thanking the first purchaser for making such a wise choice.

Other than the pipes, it is original, with just the EN10 mods to improve oil flow. It is by no means perfect, but the rust is now treated, it's relatively clean, and runs cleanly on all but the lightest throttle settings (carbs were way out of adjustment, but now gradually being tweaked....). It has covered less than 12000 miles from new, and most of the problems (other than ham-fisted owners) stem from spending many years under a tarp...

The design leaves a bit to be desired (have to drop the engine to replace the front sprocket (it was originally designed to be shaft drive)), but the Weslake/Cosworth-designed engine is a peach....over 85hp from a 1982 bike is not too shabby...

If you see me out and about, feel free to wave.....if you see me by the roadside, feel free to lend a hand to get the Old Girl running again.

The Hesketh owners group had a stand at Stafford a few years ago. One of the exhibits was the V engine and gearbox on its own out of the frame. What a sight, its massive, you could see the engineering from the moon.
It looks really nice and a great resto so far.

Steve

Thanks Steve......it is certainly not built for light weight.....

The wheels are not really up for the job, having been designed for light racing bikes of the era....but they look lovely.

There's a fair bit of work yet to go, but I don't want to get it to garage queen/trailered around status. It likes to be be ridden, and I intend to use it...

Thanks for sharing enjoyed the read an interesting tale

I must also point out that the HOC is a fantastic source of expertise.... Without the help of its stalwarts, I would still be scratching my chin over a couple of issues.

Only a few hardened posters on its site though.....the majority are somewhat quiet.

Not like this place!!

Pete

Many thanks for the write up and for your PM....Appreciated......:thumb2

That's a lovely, interesting, old bike....a nice change from the usual stuff. I've always liked them but I've never actually seen one out on the road.

Enjoy !!.....:)

I had a poster of the V1000 on my bedroom wall :D

Nice bike Pete,always liked them,thought you might like to see a later version that I saw at Ramsey sprint at this years TT :)

Attachments

• IMG_0509.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,478
Nice bike Pete,always liked them,thought you might like to see a later version that I saw at Ramsey sprint at this years TT :)

Oh, isn't that lovely!

Well done Pete, that's a very interesting bike to own and ride. You say only 12,000 miles but I bet a lot of them were used even less than that.

Great stuff, enjoy it.

Paul G

Pete
Thanks for your posting.

That's a beaut of a bike and I bet it sounds as good as it looks with those pipes.
The shorty pipes look great on it...unlike the pannier rails,necessary evil as they can be.

Regarding the wheels,are they Astralites?
Did Heskeths ever come with cast wheels instead of bolted up ones?

Some before and during resto pics would be interesting if you have any.

Thanks anyway. :thumb

Hi Tarka

Good wheel recognition! Astralites indeed, as fitted to TZ Yamahas I believe. No cast wheels on that generation; later (post Lord Hesketh era) bikes could be bought with spoked wheels. Pannier racks will be going soon!

Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walkingpictures

That is the new Harley-based H24 I think, or certainly a prototype. The White bike in the background is another one....with 24 on the tail...

Pete

Mine is certainly not quiet... The original silencers were disappointingly so.

When Hesketh went bust a mate in the trade got some bits from the auction, buying pairs of Astralites for less than £70.
Only needed the front discs spaced by 1mm to fit the Suzuki gsx1100 range
A lot of outside suppliers really got their fingers burnt when Hesketh went belly up
Last one I saw with aftermarket silencers had Keihan Laverda Jota silencers fitted and sounded phenomenal

That's lovely, and it's going to be a fantastic bike, onlyu problem is you will get mobbed anywhere you go :). Glad you posted it up, I always wanted one of these when I was younger, it was my poster bike.

It's always a pleasure to talk bikes. However, no bike has ever been the babe magnet I assumed they would be when I was a spotty youth....or perhaps that's just me!

Dark visor and leave your lid on 😀 I can just imagine the Hesketh just attracting a lot for attention in a good way.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Very nice and a tank of an engine, plenty of thick aluminium castings there.
The was one at the Moto pistons last year.
Owners club was at Stafford earlier in the year had a chat with them.
Enjoy your non-depreciation ride.

Attachments

• 20151002_182034.jpg
    20151002_182034.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 418
Thanks. There are a few real stalwarts in the Club that ride regularly. Unfortunately, those can be counted on only 2 hands. The rest own garage queens.....

Back
Top Bottom