Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red bull Romaniacs

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Red bull Romaniacs

My younger brother Roger has been entering a few Enduro rallies in the Veteran class (over fifties) in places like Greece and Morocco in recent years with some fair results in the teens and twenties overall. I don't know but I think he was goaded into entering this years Red Bull Romaniacs which is on this week, it has a reputation for being one of the toughest rally's to enter and it seems the poor old lad is finding that out first hand!

This is a copy of his F/B ramblings after the second day.

"Shall we talk about something else, loved bikes till I entered this, just to make it clear this is not fun.

How about we discuss something more rewarding like Sibiu architecture?? It's a beauty of a city, those Roman's know how to build with grace, unlike Barret homes, pic attached

No thought not, highlights of the yesterday were stir fried chicken for dinner.
    Bike riding always seemed such fun, Not in Romaniacs.

128km in under 8 hours today a distance that normally would not cause to much bother but I'm just not fast enough here, it is brutal in the hills.

Set off at just before 8 and rode non stop up 300 meter hills mixed with off camber hillsides with boulders in the grass mixed with the steepest downhills with fallen trees across the path. Mid morning I stopped at a medical point and got my ribs strapped with tape and some pain killers for my bruised rib, still refuse to upgrade rib status to cracked until tomorrow s failure.

The afternoon had breaks in the constant attack of the morning, but by then I was still not quick enough by the last check so I think I timed out. The maddest part of the afternoon was lifting bike over tree trunk losing balance and falling down hillside unable to halt momentum, closely followed by a cart wheeling enduro bike that has decided it is now the terminator. I do appreciate the bike hates me, at one point I did the equivalent of dropping the bike out of a first floor bedroom window, rather than ride the route which was pretty close to a sheer drop, WTF!!

Zippy and Patsy have given me a motivational talk that tomorrow all will be fine, so I've taken the noose down from the tree temporarily.

Chris Barwick is completely off Desert Rose Racing corporate message with his summary of my situation "Rog is not called the world hardest enduro for nothing"

accompanied with his fabulous laugh.

Today's options then

Quit Bronze class and drop to Iron class, likley hood 2%

Continue Bronze and not get timed out, likleyhood 1%

Continue Bronze and get timed out of race completely, likleyhood 100% quite appealing.

Bale out first thing today, accept complete failure and ask Chris if fancies a days trail riding with lunch, appeal factor 1000%

Have a good day😁"

opinionated, me? Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    "Extreme Enduro" events have graduated from being a tough race that mere mortals could actually ride, if not compete, into something that only the most talented of riders can finish. Some of the organisers seem to be trying to outdo each other with more dangerous and outrageous obstacles.
    Or am I just bitter because I'm past it?
    Fair play to anyone who has a go, I'll stick to trials.
    Mark
    Just when you've got this rat race licked, here come faster rats!

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Your bother is both a nutter and .................... nah, actually he's just a complete nutter!!

Good luck to him John

Andres
    Doris doesn't give a fuck...be more like Doris!

Ooh me Chalfonts Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Respect to your brother for even signing on, The prologue looks hard enough. My enduro days are well in the past now
    Keefffff

I can only please one person a day. Today is not your day, and tomorrow does not look good either..

Quote Originally Posted by earthmover View Post
    "Extreme Enduro" events have graduated from being a tough race that mere mortals could actually ride, if not compete, into something that only the most talented of riders can finish. Some of the organisers seem to be trying to outdo each other with more dangerous and outrageous obstacles.
    Or am I just bitter because I'm past it?
    Fair play to anyone who has a go, I'll stick to trials.
    Mark
    I believe the prologue section (in and out of skips etc) as featured below is not normal on rallies, this determines your starting position. In Rogers case 178th but there were hundreds of starters, so although he was disappointed, I think he's doing fine.

Day two report.😊

With three failed attempts to sleep until the alarm signals the beginning of another joyous day in Sibiu, I have abandoned the routine altogether, not once have I slept in until my alarm melody kicks in, for the record it is The Smith's, God knows I'm miserable now

It's rained steadily all night and just heard the first rumble of thunder, oh well.

Anyway found out yesterday that I didn't get timed out on day 1, I thought about protesting this decision but chatting with the quick guys I learnt that the last check of the day, was closed for all riders who were as me directed to the finish. So even though I pretend otherwise I was cheered by this news before beginning day 2

Day 2 was more what I was expecting ridiculously hard climbs and descents interspersed with good trails to allow you a chance to get your breath back, we rode ridges in the mountains that were stunningly beautiful, I overtook the Von Trap family escaping to exile on numerous occasions.

The Von Traps, were my only overtaking of the day, I am proper slow compared to most others here, can't believe the organisation have not spotted me as an imposter yet, and banned me from their hard enduro party.

Saying that though I have finished 2 days which means that I get a good shot at finishing Red Bull Romaniacs on Saturday, A lot of people have now been either injured or timed out and now cannot race tomorrow, at the briefing tonight, a room that held 500 on the first night had about 150 attend this evening, though lots could still be in the race but too tired to attend.

Chris my friend (another Chris not of the Barwick variety) took the biscuit tonight, Chris who recommended.....no recommend does not describe events leading up to me being here.

Chris who coerced me to be here compounded by bs ing me to make the mistake of entering a class too tough for Rog, rides into the paddock tonight and says he is baleing out of the race.

Although he has made it in on time today in Silver class, so can ride tomorrow.

Initially I thought he would have a valid reason, but no just feels tired, (urrr yes Chris the rest of us are fresh as a daisy, NOT)

Poor Chris feels tired after further investigation means poor Chris is tired and doesn't want to under perform for his latest girl friend when he fly's home Sunday, FFS

Anyway after an hour of destroying his ego, I find his Achilles heel when I suggest a scenario where I whatsapp him a picture (in the unlikely event) of my Romaniacs Finishers medal

Every morning probably between 4:20am and 4:52am at least for the next year, how you going to feel then buddy?

This does the trick and Chris is back in the game.

Zippy my favorite Desert Rose manager and solver of everything I ask for, asked me how today's riding went?

Zippy is using psycology or a word spelt similar to psychology on me to stop me from baleing out of this race, I could tell him the one sentence that would get me up bright eyed and bushy tailed for the next two days which is,

"Yeah this event is a bit too tough for you Rog, best you bale in the morning"

But his messages of positivity are not hurting anyone so I'm happy, if that makes him happy

So begrudgingly I had to admit to Zippy Day 2 at Red Bull Romaniacs had been a good days riding, fabulous countryside great trails, I back flipped the KTM 300 EXC unintentionally only once, but in retaliation the Terminator scored a direct hit pinning me to the ground until four big mother f***ers lifted the the bike off.

To sum up

Zippy "So you'll be back to Romaniacs then Rog?"

Me "Not in this life or the next mother f***er" we both smiled.

Have a good day !

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I like the way little bruv writes Glad to see his mojo back..........he even sounds like he may be enjoying it

Andres
    Doris doesn't give a fuck...be more like Doris!

Quote Originally Posted by Outtomunch View Post
    I like the way little bruv writes Glad to see his mojo back..........he even sounds like he may be enjoying it

Andres
    He's been doing a number of amusing posts from rallies and holidays in the last few years, the family look forward to them, perhaps he's wasted his talents flogging photocopiers.😉

is is still going ? great to see an old boy having a go. will he be in a good mood at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by suffolk View Post
    is is still going ? great to see an old boy having a go. will he be in a good mood at the end.
    Roger completed yesterday's 168kms but by mid afternoon parts of the course for the back end runners were so wet and churned up due to rain that the organisers abandoned the last sections and directed those still running to the finish. No one still competing was timed out so with luck he will get a finishers medal/pot if he completes today. No more reports though as his phone got swamped yesterday, I'll update if I hear anything.

almost a hero, but with them legs its a stroll in the park.

Big bloody respect to him for finishing Romaniacs (or even getting as far as he did).
    Melch is, for once, on the money

Well my little bro made it to the end, which was the near impossible hill behind him in the photo. He finished 112 th out of 209 finishers in the bronze group, I think the lad done good.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  114.0 KB

superb finish , the will to win and keep going . after all the training he had in competa it seems to have paid off. happy days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast