Hostelllerie de Le Wast Chateau des Tourelles

Bungy

Reaction score
After a lot of questions on this forum and with a lot of guidance from helpful tossers we managed a gentle jaunt out on the bike over to France and Belgium at the weekend. We set off on Friday morning with the bike all loaded up out of Southampton and across country on the A272. The run through countryside was uneventful but interesting enough for Mrs B who I had cajoled into this trip after over 10 years between biking breaks.

We got on the train which was torturous with people stopping for no apparent reason or crawling along at ridiculously slow speeds. I just gave myself plenty of room and let them get on with it. We boarded last but even that wasn't going to dampen the mood and we were the only bike loaded.

We got out of Calais and only a short spin along some D roads to get to Le Wast. Our hotel for next couple of nights was the "Hosteller de Le Wast" which turned out to be a little gem.

Our room was quite quirky with quilted fabric walls and a white rubber ceiling (bizarre but it looked good) and an en-suite which had another door into an adjoining bedroom which all came as part of the package. So 2 bedrooms and an en-suite just in case we fell out. This was the little annex room.

It's probably worth mentioning that this was our 20th Anniversary weekend and the room was number 20, Spooky.
Time to hit the vino and peruse the menu.

The food was really very decent and I thoroughly enjoyed all of it. Well cooked with immaculate presentation. We both opted for the duck and poached egg salad for starters.

And some guinea fowl for main, which was just like posh chicken.

Desert was complimented by a tiny glass of brake cleaner.

And so to evening drinks and preparations for the following days ride to Belgium.
After a typical continental breakfast and all kitted up we set off on D roads to Tyne Cot cemetery. I know this sounds a strange thing to do but we both wanted to visit and this was an opportunity. The country roads travelling out were all beautiful until we came to a village about halfway. The road in and out along with the town square were all cobbled which unsettled the bike and took all my concentration to not drop it. Especially as no one seemed to be following any road sense with people and cars doing whatever they wanted. We made it through and stopped for a stretch and drink.

We followed some English couples out in their MX5's for a bit before arriving at Tyne Cot.

We paid our respects and walked the area before setting off to the Menin Gate and the town of Leper.
I have marched through the gate with a platoon of men. It was in front of TV cameras and ready for the last post. All very emotional but not today. On a beautiful summers day it was hard to imagine the conditions all those years ago.

We had a light lunch, looking forward to the evening meal back at the hotel and Mrs B seemed to be warming to the trip.

Until the wind direction changed and the fountain soaked the pair of us.
I bought her some fudge to further soften her up which came from Lyndhurst?

The run back to the hotel was all the better as the Mrs was now settling into the bike and with her relaxing the riding became so much easier.

We now had the measure of the place and our drinks were ready as we sat down. The family that run the hotel were very hospitable and helpful. We will definitely be going back and use the area again for a springboard to get elsewhere.

Longestines and crab risotto for starter with a stunning fillet steak to follow.

The drink flowed on a warm summers evening. Perfect.

We used the motorway for the run home after getting an earlier train back.

Overall a resounding success with Mrs B interested in doing more touring on the bike.
A special thank you to all of those that helped with the many questions I have posted and Wapping for tolerating my many questions surrounding Basecamp and using my Garmin Sat-nav. The more I use it the easier it gets.

Glad the wife enjoyed it, its always good when the other half enjoys the trip as much as you do, good pics as wel.

Glad it turned out well. Thanks for posting, I'm sure it will serve as a reference point for other Tossers in a similar position...:beerjug:

Good result all round and congratulations

Norrie

I have stayed in Ypres several times for work and touring, the highlight for me is the Flanders in the Fields museum inside the Cloth hall, if you go again, its highly recommended, by me anyhow.

Nice report

Most enjoyable, thank you for sharing...

Back
Top Bottom