Hydration

gspod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this.

After good hydration pac, I'm guessing either Kriega or Camelback are best but any recommendations please.

Whatever is cheapest and the size you want. Seriously they are plastic bags with a tube. If you want the full ruck sack and everything to go with it then I use a vango. Cheap and it has taken a beaten on my mtb rides over the last 2 years and still going strong.

Not sure where to put this.

After good hydration pac, I'm guessing either Kriega or Camelback are best but any recommendations please.

I've used a few over the years, mainly for cycling, but the best in terms of quality, fit and weight distribution has been the Kriega 3litre pack I bought for an off road trip in Morocco this year.

Top notch bit of kit :thumb2

Top tip number 318

Do not, whether by mistake or on purpose, put carbonated (bubbly) water into the bladder and think to yourself "It will be alright, mate". Warm, carbonated water, sucked in whilst hooning an awesome steed around the twisties on a hot day is, in a word..... Disgusting!

I've used a few over the years, mainly for cycling, but the best in terms of quality, fit and weight distribution has been the Kriega 3litre pack I bought for an off road trip in Morocco this year.

Top notch bit of kit :thumb2

Correct:thumby:
Also has insulated tube so liquid stays cool,
Brilliant on the TAT:clap

I use a Camelbak 3 litre insulated system

Fab, even in 30c..............keeps the water cold for 1.5 hours or more

Just put litre bottles into it from garages when you refuel the bike

Use it for road touring all summer

I use a Geigerrig 'Shuttle' Hydrapac. 2 litre capacity with a twin bladder system where one carries water, and the other is connected to an air pump secured onto the other shoulder strap. Pressure it up and you don't even have to draw the fluid out, just press on the mouthpiece and it's like the tap is turned on. I used it for the first time in the Alps this year after last years Gorges trip was so hot we had to keep stopping for fluids, and now I'll take one on every biking holiday. Excellent piece of kit, well made and just small enough not to get in the way with a passenger on board.

Top tip number 318

Do not, whether by mistake or on purpose, put carbonated (bubbly) water into the bladder and think to yourself "It will be alright, mate". Warm, carbonated water, sucked in whilst hooning an awesome steed around the twisties on a hot day is, in a word..... Disgusting!

It also has a habit of bubbling up and exploding everywhere when it is hot and full :augie

I've used the things on and off over the years and have mixed feelings over them. I'm currently in a 'just bungey a water bottle on the back of the bike' and stop when you want a drink phase. Less shit to carry and an excuse for a stop/smoke/piss/admire the view/whatever :)

Mind you, if you're with a bunch of hard core mile munchers doing 800 mile days where every second stopped is one less mile then I guess the things make sense...................

Andres

PS In answer to the OP the Kreiga is defo a lovely piece of kit but in keeping with the 'less bollox' ethos I currently have a small Camelback 2l Rogue. Three years old now and still going strong. I think they are currently £25-£30 LINKY

It also has a habit of bubbling up and exploding everywhere when it is hot and full :augie

I've used the things on and off over the years and have mixed feelings over them. I'm currently in a 'just bungey a water bottle on the back of the bike' and stop when you want a drink phase. Less shit to carry and an excuse for a stop/smoke/piss/admire the view/whatever :)

Mind you, if you're with a bunch of hard core mile munchers doing 800 mile days where every second stopped is one less mile then I guess the things make sense...................

Andres

+1

I have a bladder thingy that fits into the Klim badlands jacket but it makes the thing too bloody heavy and the water is just piss warm after an hour or two.

I have now resorted to one of those filter bottles half litre in size and fits in the tank bag, just top it up as you go and stop for drink as and when needed along with the obligatory smoke and a piss

On really hot days i am often tempted to take a flask with very cold fluid in.

I'm with the hippy on this.

Buy a plastic bottle of the stuff or, if daring, two or more from any garage / supermarket / village shop you encounter. Stop and drink as necessary; flower pressing breaks from hooning the twisties are often useful opportunities to gulp down life's basic resource, make the most of them.

PS The temperature of the water drunk does not make a significant difference to its hydration qualities. Cold it will gain heat in your stomach, very warm it will lose heat. It's physics, man.... And a bit of biology.

I'm with the hippy on this.

Buy a plastic bottle of the stuff or, if daring, two or more from any garage / supermarket / village shop you encounter. Stop and drink as necessary; flower pressing breaks from hooning the twisties are often useful opportunities to gulp down life's basic resource, make the most of them.

PS The temperature of the water drunk does not make a significant difference to its hydration qualities. Cold it will gain heat in your stomach, very warm it will lose heat. It's physics, man.... And a bit of biology.

Camelbak is far better, use mine all the time and it's far better than water bottles, which get warm very quickly

On a hot euro trip - 2-3 litres over a riding day is easily drunk via a Camelbak and you wouldn't stop enough to drink that from a bottle - hence dehydration sets in

On a hot euro trip - 2-3 litres over a riding day is easily drunk via a Camelbak and you wouldn't stop enough to drink that from a bottle - hence dehydration sets in

I do :)

I'd also drink way more than that, just sat at my desk I've polished off two litres already this morning.

Mind you, that's probably why I stop so often when riding, I need to go for a piss all the time :D

Andres

Thanks for all the replies.

plastic water bottles, bungeed on the back, have been good enough for us in the past but we are on Bilco's trip this year, which could get really hot, so thought we'd try some proper kit. Also doing more European trail riding so they'll be there for the future.

I like the sound of the insulated tubes - although neither of us like cold water, but you know the scenario; you drive across the sweltering, flat, treeless wheat plains of northern Spain, stop for a drink and the water is hot :blast

Hydration packs usually have wide mouths which are great for packing with ice to keep cold all day long. Rare to find frozen bottles of water and even cold bottles go warm very quickly.

Good tips here - ta

The main reason I've not even considered one in the past is that I don't like wearing back packs - even less in hot weather.

My wife wore one for 4/5 years when she used to commute into London so she's not bothered - I guess they're well made these days and comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom