Water in K100 gearbox

Harry Nicholson

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I`ve just returned from a 12 day trip to Austria . Good time had except for two days of extremely wet weather . on returning to the bike one lunch time I noticed a huge puddle of oil underneath the gearbox , checked the oil level & was surprised to say the least when the oil level showed some 1" above the high oil level . The oil was milky so suspected water . Checked the engine oil level , ok .Road a short distance to get some oil & drained the gearbox . After a while I tilting the bike to the right hand side & almost pure water from the drain plug . Filled the gearbox with new oil & continued on my way home into Germany when the horrendous rain came again .

Arrived at Freiburg for the night & checked the oil level . Level was again above the high level but only by some 1/2" & again a milky colour . Drained the gearbox again Refilled with fresh oil & prayed for no more rain for the run to Zeebrugge & then upto Teesside . Thankfully no more rain .

Thoughts are that the water had entered via the gearbox breather .

Just finished removing the starter motor & noticed that the breather cap was slack in that it could be rotated & lifted vertically about 1/4" . I don`t think that is correct .

Does anybody know if this is correct , or could this be where the water entered . Also how is the breather removed ? .

Any advice would be appreciated .

Cheers

Harry

Only just seen this. The movement on the breather cap is perfectly normal.

I can almost guarantee that the cause of the water entering the gearbox and the leak is because of a split rubber gaiter/bellows on the rear of the gearbox where the clutch arm operates and where the thrust piston lives.

Have fun replacing it ...

:D:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom