Gs 1150 adv 2005

Mick248

Reaction score
Hi enyone know if I can put
Gs1150 suspension on
My gs1150 adv
It's just to tall but I don't want to sell it
It already has a low seat .

Yes you can, I put slightly lower suspension on my 1100 it makes it a fair bit easier to manhandle and to me it seems to handle a bit better.

Yep, normal GS shocks will fit straight on, but you'll have to fit a GS centrestand though

How tall are you?

I'm 5.9
I can buy front n back shock no bother
Do I have to change springs in front stancions

It's a shame you're not closer to me, I'd be happy to swap the lot over to my Std GS

Thanks all great info .
That's a pitty deucebg .
Well on eBay for me front n rear shock and a centre stand .
T

...you'll also need an 1150 sidestand as the GSA one will be too long.

Can I just change the springs .
If I can get a hold back tool .
Saw springs on eBay .

i had a gsa sidestand on my 1150. i bought it specially as the standard one was too short and allowed the bike to lean over too far.

you can't just change the springs in the stanchions as there aren't any. you can't just change them on the shock either without changing the internals. you need new shocks.

Hi Mick,
Never heard of people just changing springs? Don't think that would do the job you need.

Where are you in Scotland? - I have a pair of standard 1150GS shocks which you are welcome to TRY if you like - to see how things feel - it doesn't take long to swop them over.

These are the original shocks off my 2001 GS and are in perfect working order - but I have had Ohlins fitted for the past 12 years and only use the originals if the Ohlins are away for servicing - so not for sale, but your welcome to borrow them:thumb

PS - there are NO springs in your front stanchions - thet only contain some oil to lubricate them p- all springing and damping is handle by the front strut.

Cheers.................Grizzly:beerjug:

I'm 5.9
I can buy front n back shock no bother
Do I have to change springs in front stancions

The front forks don't have springs.

Swopping a main stand from ADV to standard GS isn't as simple as it sounds. You'll need brackets and springs that hold the stand as the ADV and GS are different. And then you'll find out that the standard GS brackets have different fixings for the ADV bashplate and crashbar mounts. And it goes on and on :D.

Great offer grizzly.
Thanks I'll just try hunting some shocks .
I'll prob adjust centre stand myself
We bit off cutting n welding ��

Can enyone give me the length of the standard
Gs centre stand . I'm going to cut n weld the adv one to suit

Assuming mine is the original Std one, it's 315mm from the Floor to the Centre of the Pivot Shaft.
And it's a 2003 (03) Twin Spark if that makes any difference....

Mick..I,ve got a 1150GS center stand you can have with a set of new springs, had it on my ADV when I put shorter shocks on...side stand stayed original bike just dos,nt lean as far ....Son goes to Glasgow weekly at present so could get it that far if it would help...;)

FWIW on my 1100 I dropped the suspension travel by an inch at each end and had the suspension set for road use only i.e slightly firmer. I didn't bother changing either stand and only have a problem putting it on the centre stand wheN it's fully loaded for touring - even then it goes onto the stand with a bit of a heave.

I'd be happy to swap you my GS sidestand + springs and hanger for your GSA springs and hanger?

I have raised mine to GSA and have overcome the extra leaning by adding a hockey puck to make a managable lean.

Happy to pay for my postage if you do yours?:beerjug:

Thanks deuceBG
Hunting eBay for shocks at moment .
I suppose I can flog the adventure ones
😄

Back
Top Bottom