BOAT

gspod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know if the byway that runs from just south of the Norfolk Arms to The Fox House is still a BOAT, as it is written on my Ord Survey map?
And if so - how difficult a lane is it please?

Many thanks for info.

D

Hi

Does anyone know if the byway that runs from just south of the Norfolk Arms to The Fox House is still a BOAT, as it is written on my Ord Survey map?
And if so - how difficult a lane is it please?

Many thanks for info.

D

Dunno what BOAT means sorry, new one on me.

Its a very easy gentle track to ride....…even I can do it.:thumb2

Excellent news - thanks chaps.

It's not far from home and on the way to the lanes around Eyam so will make a nice adjunct to my green lane circuit.

:thumb2:thumb2

It was graded about 2 years ago and most of it is easy going on road tyres, there's a short rocky section about half way along but doable if you pick your route - :thumb

It was graded about 2 years ago and most of it is easy going on road tyres, there's a short rocky section about half way along but doable if you pick your route - :thumb

Thanks for the info.

I'm on a little 250 trail bike so sounds like it will be fine. I'm happy to do more technical trails with others but I usually go out on my own in the evenings so stick to the easyish trails. I might try this one tonight :bounce1

Each to their own, I've no issues with riding the more challenging trails on my own .....

Brilliant video, thanks for posting - I may use it for future reference.

It's difficult to judge from watching the vid but I don't think there were many trails I wouldn't attempt on my 250 - the one at 22.13 is a regular practice run for me and about as hard as I'd want to do on my own at the moment - particularly with a holiday looming ;). I'm a relative novice so just pop out practicing when I can.

It looks like you were on a big bike and cracking on at a fair pace - so hats off to you :bow

I stick to dry rocky trials in Europe for my GS :thumby:

As as I know it is till a BOAT, though there are lack of signage, I've seen plenty of off road vehicles on it recently.
Mind I tent to hit it early hours when its quiet anyway.

Where do you find these off road roads from? I don't know where you are starting, but I only know tarmac in the Peaks - my brother-in-law farms at Tissington and I know some of the places north of there, but not intimately. I got taken to the truck cafe that we used on the Skygod day - but since then I haven't been back because I didn't know where it was even when we went there! I am not sure I would have the confidence to go that remote on my own - what if you had an accident and the bike fell on you? It is different if there is someone else to lift the bike off you and help out. Are there any easy tracks nearer me in Uttoxeter I could try?

You have to check out The Definitive Map for Byways and The List of Streets or Gazetteer for Unclassified Unmetalled Country Roads.

https://maps.derbyshire.gov.uk/connect/analyst/?mapcfg=portal

click accept and submit then look around the map for the lanes that are open (and its up to date)

I transferred them from here onto Mapsorse a few years ago as start finish WPs but of course the map dosent give clues to how severe they can be. Maybe best to no go down with a 1150 or 1200 to check them out.
I did my own classification a few years ago with green Blue then RED routes.
If yer all get yer heads together yer could do a new classification of the lanes 2016. I do know me way around and some of them are not easy so maybe dont do them on yer own. I have been upside down and hit stone walls broke me ankle and got stuck. and that was the best day !!! I will share my old info but you will have to be aware they are not up to date regarding them being open ( closed ones usually have nice rectangular signs telling yer so !!!. Also they may have changed severity with some being affect by either floods tractors or even being Tarmaced.
HTHY
MIck :thumby:

https://maps.derbyshire.gov.uk/connect/analyst/?mapcfg=portal

click accept and submit then look around the map for the lanes that are open (and its up to date)

I transferred them from here onto Mapsorse a few years ago as start finish WPs but of course the map dosent give clues to how severe they can be. Maybe best to no go down with a 1150 or 1200 to check them out.
I did my own classification a few years ago with green Blue then RED routes.
If yer all get yer heads together yer could do a new classification of the lanes 2016. I do know me way around and some of them are not easy so maybe dont do them on yer own. I have been upside down and hit stone walls broke me ankle and got stuck. and that was the best day !!! I will share my old info but you will have to be aware they are not up to date regarding them being open ( closed ones usually have nice rectangular signs telling yer so !!!. Also they may have changed severity with some being affect by either floods tractors or even being Tarmaced.
HTHY
MIck :thumby:

Very happy to accompany you any time you want to check them out - reclassify them Mick (as I hope you know!!)

Back
Top Bottom