Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In search of the Portugese Stelvio

Stay Frosty Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    some pics and observations...

sailing into Santander harbour. French flag at half mast as we'd just had the bastille day atrocity

i was pleased to note our first hotel's breakfast room was clearly an homage to the KTM factory canteen.

hiding in the shade. we did that a lot.

view from our hotel in Vila Real. the suspension bridge is pretty spectacular. notable as it dips in the middle rather than arching.

don't see these much in the UK anymore. not uncommon in Portugal.

our fab *suite* in the convent.

our private sun terrace

if you're going that way, you really should stay there. best hotel of the trip, and there were no bad ones.

moving on...

oscar and i are warned not to go up there.

...so we went down here. steep cobbles covered in loose tree debris on loaded adventure bikes. what could go wrong?

well, nothing as it turned out. being riding gods has it's advantages

mrs cookie. our photographer for the on bike stuff.

there is virtually no traffic on these roads.

[url]https://photos.smugmug.com/Holidays/Portugal-2016-Lumix/i-wCVQWJv/0/XL/Portugal%2016%20Lumix%2077-XL.jpg[/IMG]

sadly, we didn't get to do the appealing looking road snaking off to the right, but we did many like it

more later.
    Ready To >> Rest

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Really enjoyed your post,thanks for putting it all together, could feel the heat coming from your photos . Hope our trip has the Sun for us this year

Great report chaps, with superb pics as well, one of my brothers has just bought a property in the Algarve, so I'm hoping to keep a bike there in the not too distant future. It seems the riding both on road and off is pretty dam good.

www.humvee-graphics.com Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewgsadv View Post
    Really enjoyed your post,thanks for putting it all together, could feel the heat coming from your photos . Hope our trip has the Sun for us this year
    Thank you, where are you going Andrew?
    Visit our web shop for stickers/graphics/pannier wrap kits for your GS/Adventure bike
    web shop; www.humvee-graphics.com The originals and the best
    Limited range of our products available on e-bay, our shop; humveegraphics
    Facebook; http://www.facebook.com/humveegraphics

....a few more

i liked Chaves

people here seem to favour extensions in distressed corrugated iron.

in fact, distressed is something of a theme in Portuguese architecture.

back in the Picos. we had a great run through here on the way down on the saturday evening with no traffic , but going back north it was chokka with sunday afternoon drivers. tricky road to overtake on, but still a fabulous ride.

that's probably a 4

the only wet road we saw all week.

sunset on the bay of Biscay

and back to Portsmouth

we travelled out on the posher Cap Finistere, but had to return on the Economie ship Baie de Seine due to dates/availability. it was actually a pleasant surprise after last years crossing on the Etratat, which was pretty basic to say the least. avoid.
    the only thing i'd say against the Baie de Seine is the inordinately long crossing time approaching 30 hours.

The KTM did 2000 miles fully loaded, used no oil or coolant, was pleasantly comfy, missed no beats and required no chain adjustment
    Ready To >> Rest

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post

i liked Chaves

back in the Picos. we had a great run through here on the way down on the saturday evening with no traffic , but going back north it was chokka with sunday afternoon drivers. tricky road to overtake on, but still a fabulous ride.

sunset on the bay of Biscay

we travelled out on the posher Cap Finistere, but had to return on the Economie ship Baie de Seine due to dates/availability. it was actually a pleasant surprise after last years crossing on the Etratat, which was pretty basic to say the least. avoid.
    the only thing i'd say against the Baie de Seine is the inordinately long crossing time approaching 30 hours.

The KTM did 2000 miles fully loaded, used no oil or coolant, was pleasantly comfy, missed no beats and required no chain adjustment
    Great pics cookie I recognise the Sunset pano......

Was that really the same road? I didn't think it was although the scenery was very similar

Agree with your conclusion regarding the Ferries, the Etretat was pretty basic but the Baie de Seine was not a bad place to be and much nicer than it's Economie sister ship 30 hour crossing notwithstanding.

My GSA LC covered 2100 miles at an average speed of 49 mph with trip computer suggesting 52 mpg average, the bike was also comfortable, missed no beats and didn't need it's chain adjusting (whatever that is) it may have lost a dribble of coolant though due to a little lay down
    Visit our web shop for stickers/graphics/pannier wrap kits for your GS/Adventure bike

i thought it was the same road. they all look the same to me
    Ready To >> Rest

Quote Originally Posted by 2 wheel humvee View Post
    Thank you, where are you going Andrew?
    Namur,Trier,Colmar,Black Forest,Harz Area,Paderborn,Nimejen ferry back to Hull. All over in 15 days ,off on the 12th Aug till 26th Aug. Doing bikes prep over this week then leaves me a week for any issues that may arise

Nice report - yes, the Etretat is fine for an overnight to Le Havre but 30 hours on there would be frustrating.
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

i thought it was the same road. they all look the same to me
    Hard to find a bad one in The Picos

Quote Originally Posted by andrewgsadv View Post
    Namur,Trier,Colmar,Black Forest,Harz Area,Paderborn,Nimejen ferry back to Hull. All over in 15 days ,off on the 12th Aug till 26th Aug. Doing bikes prep over this week then leaves me a week for any issues that may arise
    Sounds great have a great trip

Quote Originally Posted by wessie View Post
    Nice report - yes, the Etretat is fine for an overnight to Le Havre but 30 hours on there would be frustrating.
    Oddly our trip to Santander last year on Etretat was completed in a similar time to Pont Aven i.e.around 24 hours our return crossing this time aboard Baie de Seine was nearer 30 hours maybe that's part of the economie service go slower and use less fuel
    Baie de Seine is a far nicer ship than Etretat though and is on a par with the vessels on non economie crossings.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 wheel humvee View Post
    Oddly our trip to Santander last year on Etretat was completed in a similar time to Pont Aven i.e.around 24 hours our return crossing this time aboard Baie de Seine was nearer 30 hours maybe that's part of the economie service go slower and use less fuel
    Baie de Seine is a far nicer ship than Etretat though and is on a par with the vessels on non economie crossings.
    It's downhill to get to Spain...
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

Oh Yes.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Superb & most enjoyable Steve / Martin....
    Perfekt ist nicht gut genug.

UKGSER-A place where I've wasted so much time, learned so much, laughed a lot and cried a few times.

Every bed of roses has pricks in it!

Nice report

i liked Chaves
    It's great isn't it ? Spent two weeks there in May, riding the local trails. Great craic altogether
    Just 'cos you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you !

Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often.

I do believe I passed yous as I headed up Serra De Estrela. I was on a white GSA. Yous were heading down towards Covilha......if it was you, that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dazcall View Post
    I do believe I passed yous as I headed up Serra De Estrela. I was on a white GSA. Yous were heading down towards Covilha......if it was you, that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We did see a white GSA LC that day in fact that was the only BMW we saw that day so it had to be you, we enjoyed having the roads pretty much to ourselves and were really surprised by the absence of other bikes on such fantastic roads

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Great report and pictures !!

I'm planning on heading to the Picos next month to meet some mates for a couple of days and then was either going to go along Pyrenees on N260 to head into France and then RN or RDGA,but option B was to head to Chaves and do the Ride mag route.Is there enough good riding to stay in Chaves a few nights as that hotel looks good ?

The scenery looks nice but not mind-blowing.What are the roads like around there ? I'll be on my MT10 so looking for nice flowing roads rather than gnarly hairpins-hence why I might head to the Route Napoleon.

Did the Portuguese roads exceed your expectations ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast