Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In search of the Portugese Stelvio

www.humvee-graphics.com Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsey View Post
    Great report and pictures !!

I'm planning on heading to the Picos next month to meet some mates for a couple of days and then was either going to go along Pyrenees on N260 to head into France and then RN or RDGA,but option B was to head to Chaves and do the Ride mag route.Is there enough good riding to stay in Chaves a few nights as that hotel looks good ?

The scenery looks nice but not mind-blowing.What are the roads like around there ? I'll be on my MT10 so looking for nice flowing roads rather than gnarly hairpins-hence why I might head to the Route Napoleon.

Did the Portuguese roads exceed your expectations ?
    Thank you it was a blast
    Like you I've done the Pyrenees and the N260 many times in the past, it is fantastic riding and I will no doubt do it again soon but fancied something a little different and away from the more popular routes, the Ride mag article came along at the time we were deciding on a destination so we followed their route albeit with a few changes to suit our own riding preferences in terms of daily mileage etc.
    Day 1 from Santander was an absolute blast through the Picos especially as it was early evening and the roads were quiet, Days 2 & 3 were mostly quite tight with lots of hairpins which were fun but they were quite hard going in the extreme heat we experienced, from day 4 the routes opened out into faster more flowing roads and from that point on the routes and the roads got better and better, you could do a couple of days ride outs from Chaves without too much problem I would have thought, Chaves was a really nice city with plenty to see and do and the hotel would make a great base for a couple of days.
    We commented about the scenery too, it's quite rural and lacks the visual drama of say the Alps/Pyrenees/Picos with the exception of Sera de Estrela National Park, the magazine article lead us to expect that so it wasn't too much of a surprise, the Portugese roads did indeed exceed my expectations and were a pleasant surprise it's a place I would definitely go back to. In general we found food, beer and hotels to be quite reasonably priced with petrol on a par price wise with U.K.
    Send me a pm and I will send you our route file if you like and you can follow it or alter it a little to suit your own itinerary, all the hotels are saved as waypoints and from day 3 onwards by their hotel names so they are easy to find and book on booking dot com etc.
    Visit our web shop for stickers/graphics/pannier wrap kits for your GS/Adventure bike
    web shop; www.humvee-graphics.com The originals and the best
    Limited range of our products available on e-bay, our shop; humveegraphics
    Facebook; http://www.facebook.com/humveegraphics

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 wheel humvee View Post
    Thank you it was a blast
    Like you I've done the Pyrenees and the N260 many times in the past, it is fantastic riding and I will no doubt do it again soon but fancied something a little different and away from the more popular routes, the Ride mag article came along at the time we were deciding on a destination so we followed their route albeit with a few changes to suit our own riding preferences in terms of daily mileage etc.
    Day 1 from Santander was an absolute blast through the Picos especially as it was early evening and the roads were quiet, Days 2 & 3 were mostly quite tight with lots of hairpins which were fun but they were quite hard going in the extreme heat we experienced, from day 4 the routes opened out into faster more flowing roads and from that point on the routes and the roads got better and better, you could do a couple of days ride outs from Chaves without too much problem I would have thought, Chaves was a really nice city with plenty to see and do and the hotel would make a great base for a couple of days.
    We commented about the scenery too, it's quite rural and lacks the visual drama of say the Alps/Pyrenees/Picos with the exception of Sera de Estrela National Park, the magazine article lead us to expect that so it wasn't too much of a surprise, the Portugese roads did indeed exceed my expectations and were a pleasant surprise it's a place I would definitely go back to. In general we found food, beer and hotels to be quite reasonably priced with petrol on a par price wise with U.K.
    Send me a pm and I will send you our route file if you like and you can follow it or alter it a little to suit your own itinerary, all the hotels are saved as waypoints and from day 3 onwards by their hotel names so they are easy to find and book on booking dot com etc.
    That's great,ta.PM inbound.

That's great,ta.PM inbound.
    Replied and route sent to your e-mail, have fun whichever route you decide on
    Visit our web shop for stickers/graphics/pannier wrap kits for your GS/Adventure bike

We did see a white GSA LC that day in fact that was the only BMW we saw that day so it had to be you, we enjoyed having the roads pretty much to ourselves and were really surprised by the absence of other bikes on such fantastic roads
    Small world innit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great write up

Love the picture in the back of the tanker..

Hotel Forte de Sao Francisco is probably one of the nicest hotels I've stayed at.

Ah Portugal, a splendid place.. got to get back there soon..

In search of the Portugese Stelvio

The Forte hotel is very nice . Great food in the restaurant but a shame that the bar and restaurant don't have the same ambience as the rest of the hotel grounds .

We rode the day out loop around Chaves as published by Ride mag. Infact some of the boys spoke to Simon Weir on the ferry down to Santander.
    Whilst the ride was very pleasant and had some stunning roads , the ride down and back from Asturias was better.
    Virtually every road in Asturias is stunning with hardly any traffic and few villages .
    Best place I've ever ridden for pure riding pleasure , though ultimately the view don't quite match the RDGA or Pyrenees.

Most enjoyable read and pictures, Julie and I had looked at a similar trip for 2018 but ferry costs were high, so we have set up a lap of France instead. Thanks for taking the time to post.

thanks for posting ,looks like you had a great time,

The Forte hotel is very nice . Great food in the restaurant but a shame that the bar and restaurant don't have the same ambience as the rest of the hotel grounds .

We rode the day out loop around Chaves as published by Ride mag. Infact some of the boys spoke to Simon Weir on the ferry down to Santander.
    Whilst the ride was very pleasant and had some stunning roads , the ride down and back from Asturias was better.
    Virtually every road in Asturias is stunning with hardly any traffic and few villages .
    Best place I've ever ridden for pure riding pleasure , though ultimately the view don't quite match the RDGA or Pyrenees.
    Apart from the pool area during one spectacularly warm afternoon and the breakfast room the following morning we didn't sample too much of the hotel preferring instead to wander the town and take in the sights before having a few beers and a nice restaraunt, I would go back and use the same hotel without hesitation, did you ride the National Park Serra de Sao Mamede or Serra de Estrella National Park? As enjoyable as any roads I've ridden made moreso by the complete absence of other traffic, admittedly the scenery is not as dramatic as the Alps or Pyrenees so I take your point there, a few of us have just returned from the Alps/Dolomites/Slovenia so I was reminded of the dramatic scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewgsadv View Post
    Most enjoyable read and pictures, Julie and I had looked at a similar trip for 2018 but ferry costs were high, so we have set up a lap of France instead. Thanks for taking the time to post.
    Having spent some time in France (among other countries, Germany, Italy, Austria, Switzerland and Slovenia) on tour with the lads a few weeks back on the bikes and a long weekend in Brittany and Normandy with my brother and our wives last weekend my feeling is the additional cost of fuel,hotels,drink and food will by far outweigh the cost of the return ferry, food for thought-excuse the pun

Quote Originally Posted by john1961 View Post
    thanks for posting ,looks like you had a great time,
    It was a blast, given how good it was and the high profile article in Ride mag to publicise the area we were very surprised at how few other bikes we saw, definitely a trip to revisit in the future.

good stuff

i went to the picos not long after you went in october and it was above 20c all that week

did chaves vigo and the nutty mountain roads west of ponferrada

ferry isnt cheap but beats the shit outta ragging it thru france - which is great if you have the time

Replied and route sent to your e-mail, have fun whichever route you decide on
    Hi Humvee

Would it be possible to email me the route? Sounds like a great trip. Planning something in May next year, starting in Bilbao with the Rugby Championship final on 12th and then a week to explore Atlantic Coast/Portugal. Would like to add in a mixture of road and off-road, but avoiding camping, so will see if wikilok has some trails in the area.

PM sent.

cheers
    Tony

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by royle100 View Post
    Hi Humvee

Would it be possible to email me the route? Sounds like a great trip. Planning something in May next year, starting in Bilbao with the Rugby Championship final on 12th and then a week to explore Atlantic Coast/Portugal. Would like to add in a mixture of road and off-road, but avoiding camping, so will see if wikilok has some trails in the area.

PM sent.

cheers
    Tony
    Hi Tony,
    e-mail sent with route file attached

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123