In search of the Portugese Stelvio

2 wheel humvee

www.humvee-graphics.com
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After some discussion out small group (and becoming smaller) decided to make full use of our Brittany Ferries friends & family discount card before the annual membership expired and head south again, this article in Ride magazine played a small part in the choice of destination as did the promise of fair weather (more of which later-and often) the magazine article in question;
530-X2.jpg

The dates didn't suit or appeal to all of our group so this year only 4 bikes and 5 people were confirmed to go, earlier discussions had suggested 6 or 7 bikes but as time passed the ferry booking was amended and amended again, less than a week before our ferry was due to depart Portsmouth for Santander another of our group cancelled, we would be 3 bikes and 4 people which should make staying together almost impossible.............

We were due to get Brittany Ferries vessel Cap Finistere from Portsmouth on Friday July 15th arriving 17.30 the next day, all 4 of us met at the terminal and boarded the vessel in short order, we noted the crew now appear to use 2 straps to secure bikes on the car deck the first over the seat with a large blue cushion placed on the riders seat and a second shorter strap from the frame or pillion footpeg on the left side down to the same securing eye on the deck, perhaps we could start another thread along the side or centre stand thread, 1 strap or 2 straps ?
Bikes secured we found our cabins and retired to the bar.
531-L.jpg

We arrived to a bright and sunny Santander (for a change) the next day, weather forecasts were suggesting something of a heatwave further south during the week or so we would be in Spain and Portugal over and above the expected warm summer weather :cool: We had pre planned routes for the next 8 days with hotel waypoints included, we took the routes from Ride magazine's excellent Portugal supplement and modified them to suit our needs and booked our hotels through booking dot com which gave us some flexibility due to the free cancellation policy.

Arriving Santander;
533-L.jpg

Local pilot boarding the ferry;
534-L.jpg

The Ride magazine routes can be found here; http://www.ride.co.uk/routes-1/tour-2016
As stated we had modified them to average out at between 210-250 miles per day with the exception of day 1 (140 miles from Santander to Sahagun Spain) and day 7 which was to be only 115 miles

Day 1 Saturday 16th
From Santander to Sahagun 137 miles
approximately 3 hours 20 minutes, by the time we had cleared the ferry port and hit the road the Sun was beginning to go down, we enjoyed a coffee stop in a little village in The Picos
547-L.jpg

I had been experimenting with a Go Pro mounted to the pannier to capture some stills on the road with mixed results......
545-L.jpg

nonetheless the roads were fantastic and the scenery great
549-L.jpg

n fading light we arrived at our hotel around 9pm
Hotel; https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/puerta-de-sahagun.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-1DCA4oggJCAlhYSApiBW5vcmVmaFCIAQGYAQq4AQ3IAQ_YAQPoAQH4AQOSAgF5qAID;sid=9a7de7b91488a857145ea79f7219ae7c;dcid=2

Day 2 Sunday 17th
Sahagun Spain to Vila Real Portugal,
245 miles approx 6hours 30 mins
We began using the Morecast weather app which when you input your start and destination points and departure time gives you a route weather forecast ours looked like this
561-X2.png

We were on the road early and happened across these castle ruins, being off road gods we headed off piste for a look
Off road god and pillion........
554-L.jpg

Waitrose Off road god
555-L.jpg

A couple of old ruins and the castle remains......
556-L.jpg

We pressed on along a mixture of road types from fast open roads to mile after mile of single track roads and endless switchbacks all the while the temperature climbing into the mid 30's then we happened upon a rural restaurant an air conditioned oasis where we enjoyed menu of the day for 11 euros which comprised some locallly sourced tapas dishes a tuna salad and a small dessert and as much iced water as we could manage-excellent value :thumby:

560-L.jpg

558-L.jpg

A view from the restaurant car park
559-L.jpg

There was no shade in which to park the bikes........
562-L.jpg

And by the time we emerged from lunch the temperature had climbed 5 degrees to 40 a theme which would continue for many days.

We arrived at our hotel Miracorgo very late in the afternoon and after a dip in the hotel pool went in search of an evening meal around a near deserted Vila Real
563-L.jpg

we eventually found a restaraunt (the only one open in the town seemingly) and dined very well for less than 20 euro per head including drinks :thumby:
Hotel; https://www.booking.com/hotel/pt/miracorgo.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-1DCA4oggJCAlhYSApiBW5vcmVmaFCIAQGYAQq4AQ3IAQ_YAQPoAQH4AQOSAgF5qAID;sid=9a7de7b91488a857145ea79f7219ae7c;dcid=2

Day 3 Monday 18th
Villa Real to Constancia
, 240 miles approx 7 hours 10 mins
Given the predicted temperatures forecast we were up and breakfasted and on the road a little after 9am to try and make some progress before the temperatures soared,
This forecast proved inaccurate as I entered the departure time incorrectly the temperatures we experinced were a little higher than those in the pic but you get the general idea
576-X2.png

We enjoyed more single track switchbacks and then a most welcome open road blast up a mountainside not dissimilar to the B500
568%20-%20Copy-L.jpg

Then the roads narrowed again and we followed the banks of a river enjoying the relative coolness offered by the overhanging tree canopy, we stopped for a coffee around midday and enjoyed the shade of a pavement cafe whilst the bikes baked......
571-L.jpg

True to form by the time we got kitted up to ride on the temperature had risen another 3 degrees or so.........I was using a BMW Airshell jacket with full mesh panels to the body and upper arms and Trailguard trousers minus liners with vents to the thigh area, both performed well and were a good choice the only problem was that the temperature of the air passing through the vents was similar to ambient although increased road speed helped a little..........
573-L.jpg

At some point we got split up which isn't easy when there are only 3 in the group so I pressed on and entered the hotel waypoint via fastest route as I was convinced the other 2 were ahead..........along 50 miles of boring empty motorway I messed about with the Go Pro with the bike set on cruise control ;)

574-L.jpg

I was in fact ahead of the other 2 and arrived at the Manor house hotel and former convent in Constancia first
585-L.jpg

Having checked in and showered I went to check out the facilities, cookie & Angi and Oscar had not yet arrived when I discovered the pool area so I ordered beers and sent them a pic to encourage them to hurry up :beer:
575-L.jpg

Our hotel for the night Quinta de Santa Barbara
https://www.booking.com/hotel/pt/quinta-de-santa-barbara.en-gb.html?aid=304142;label=gen173nr-1DCA4oggJCAlhYSApiBW5vcmVmaFCIAQGYAQq4AQ3IAQ_YAQPoAQH4AQOSAgF5qAID;sid=71bd56f5a323810b63f41946d324cd03;dcid=2

Day 4
Constancia to Serpa
, 233 miles or approx 6 hours
We enjoyed a great evening meal at the Quinta de Santa Barbara although the restaurant service had been more than a touch Fawlty Towers :D
Another early start and another hot day beckoned, today's route would take us as far South as we were going although not to the South coast as per the Ride magazine route, we had enjoyed a variety of roads that were mainly tight and technical going so far with the odd stretch of mountain pass and motorway thrown in, during the morning we had ridden along the N222 through terraced Olive groves which some motoring mags would have you believe is the best driving road in Europe, it's good-so good that I appear not to have any pictures and quite demanding but I'm not sure it deserves such high praise, good-yes, enjoyable-certainly but the best? hmmmmmmm
It had been enjoyable so far but quite grueling in these high temperatures and I began to wonder when we might experience the sort of Stelvio type passes the article alluded to.......
We enjoyed a brisk ride during the morning and covered a lot of ground quickly, we stopped to refuel and to take on refreshments and enjoyed more fast paced twisting roads and fantastic views along the N2 N263 and N265 having lost the others (again.........due to an an unannounced fuel stop I think) I detoured to an old hilltop castle
593-L.jpg

591-L.jpg

592-L.jpg

We re-grouped in time for a lunch stop, obligatory food pics........
586-L.jpg

587-L.jpg

Before continuing to the hotel for the night, billed as Agro Turismo (Farm B&B/Hotel) the hotel was excellent the hosts welcoming and of course, it had a pool :bow
588-L.jpg

Our host Teresa not only booked us a table at the best restaurant in town she also gave us a lift there and dropped us at a great bar she also picked us up and drove us back at the end of the evening meal :clap

Monte de Morena Agro Turismo hotel; https://www.booking.com/hotel/pt/monte-da-morena-agro-turismo-lda.en-gb.html?aid=304142;label=gen173nr-1DCA4oggJCAlhYSApiBW5vcmVmaFCIAQGYAQq4AQ3IAQ_YAQPoAQH4AQOSAgF5qAID;sid=71bd56f5a323810b63f41946d324cd03;dcid=2

Day 5 Tuesday 20th
Serpa to Estreito, 206 miles or 6 hours
As per usual we are fed and watered and packed and ready to roll before 9am, our route North today would prove to be the best of the trip (so far) taking us through rolling countryside with twists and turns and numerous climbs and descents........
we had shaded tree lined roads
598-L.jpg

Cambered corners......
601-L.jpg

Cobbled roads........
602-L.jpg

The odd castle thrown in for good measure.......
596-L.jpg

I regretted riding through the gates almost instantly, the narrow paths were steep and slippery with nowhere to turn around with mine and the bike's temperature climbing rapidly I was lucky to find an escape route :blast
600-L.jpg

The roads and the views continued to impress
606-L.jpg

We stopped in a near deserted little town in search of lunch, a small cafe bar appeared empty at first glance but the owner ushered into a cooler room at the back of the bar where half the population of the town appeared to be having lunch, menu of the day for 4 please.........
Langoustine for starters.......
604-L.jpg

Wild Boar steak for main course.........
603-L.jpg

Suitably refreshed we pressed on, we passed through the National Park Serra de Sao Mamede the riding here was the best yet, some of the roads were in the process of being resurfaced the majority of it completed in the finest smoothest black asphalt you could wish for the corners were for the most part constant radius with a few degrees of camber thrown in, the best riding of the trip so far.....again!
We found the small hotel and checked in.........
607-L.jpg

You'll never guess...........they had a pool, gnarly Adventure riders? Pah :Motomartin
608-L.jpg

We wandered down to the village in search of food and beer not necessarily in that order, and found the Rotunda of the town
610%20-%20Copy-L.jpg

Which, fortunately for us has a cafe named after it and situated across the road, whilst our hosts prepared the food we watched the world go by (such as it is Estreito) whilst sipping a cold Super Bock :beerjug:
611-L.jpg

Our hotel for the night, Casa de Campo S Torcato Moradal; https://www.booking.com/hotel/pt/s-torcato-moradal-turismo-rural.en-gb.html?aid=304142;label=gen173nr-1DCA4oggJCAlhYSApiBW5vcmVmaFCIAQGYAQq4AQ3IAQ_YAQPoAQH4AQOSAgF5qAID;sid=71bd56f5a323810b63f41946d324cd03;dcid=2 A nice hotel but serious Basil Fawlty issues with the elderly owner, nice place shame about the people who run it.

Day 6 Wednesday 21st
Estreito to Aguiar de Beira 209 miles or 5 hours 25mins
Following a protracted and almost farcical checkout from our hotel our start was later than planned but we were moving by 9.30am with the temperature at about 30 degrees........
We retraced our steps to the main road along the wonderfully surfaced mountain roads and headed for the National Park Serra de Estrella, could this be the fabled Portugese Stelvio? It's a fantastic road climbing to around 2000metres, we had the road virtually to ourselves (we would find out why later.....)

From single track roads through terraced Olive groves and cork tree farms
614-L.jpg

A mere 1000 metres a nice entree for what was to follow.......
635-L.jpg

636-L.jpg

Soon we entered the Serra de Estrella National Park and began the climb, the route was fast and flowing along empty roads
624-L.jpg

We arrived at a cafe/souvenir shop near the summit and stopped for a coffee
626-L.jpg

The mirrored glass of the cafe doing a great job of reflecting the heat of the sun
627-L.jpg

Our route in the distance
629-L.jpg

We enjoyed a great ride down not seeing another vehicle in either direction, then discovered why, the road was blocked due to subsidence, we could either retrace our steps or navigate around the barriers, we chose the latter, unstoppable...........
613-L.jpg

The pictures should tell the story of how good a day's riding this was, as enjoyable as any European pass I've ridden and all the better for being virtually traffic free.
619-L.jpg

621-L.jpg

638-L.jpg

639-XL.jpg

631-L.jpg

640-X2.jpg

643-L.jpg

What a great day's riding, we arrived the Hotel do Vale (as cookie noted he wasn't there.......)
641-L.jpg

They had a pool which was nice but no pics sorry :cool:

Hotel do Vale
https://www.booking.com/hotel/pt/do-vale.en-gb.html?aid=304142;label=gen173nr-1DCA4oggJCAlhYSApiBW5vcmVmaFCIAQGYAQq4AQ3IAQ_YAQPoAQH4AQOSAgF5qAID;sid=71bd56f5a323810b63f41946d324cd03;dcid=2

Looks like a good route you choose. Thanks for sharing, I plan a Portugal trip soon so very timely- thanks.

Day 7 Thursday 22nd
Aguiar de Beira to Chaves 115 miles or 3 hours 21 mins
Today would be our easiest and shortest riding day the nearest thing we got to a rest day, Morecast suggested it might be a tad cooler than we'd become used to of late:clap
642-L.png

Following a couple of hours on country roads we stopped for a coffee where the decision was made to enter the hotel waypoint by fastest route and enjoy a leisurely afternoon, some go-pro stills taken on the route;
Cookie & Angi on board the KTM
661-L.jpg

Oscar on unstoppable.....
656-L.jpg

Yours truly......
658-L.jpg

We arrived at Chaves in good time and checked in to the hotel Forte de Sao Francisco, a hotel in a fort :clap
650-L.jpg

And they had a pool and a poolside bar, that's me for the afternoon :Motomartin
649-L.jpg

An evening of beer and pizza ensued and it made for a nice change:thumby:

Hotel Forte de Sao Francisco, Chaves.
https://www.booking.com/hotel/pt/forte-de-sao-francisco.en-gb.html?aid=304142;label=gen173nr-1DCA4oggJCAlhYSApiBW5vcmVmaFCIAQGYAQq4AQ3IAQ_YAQPoAQH4AQOSAgF5qAID;sid=71bd56f5a323810b63f41946d324cd03;dcid=2

Day 8 Friday 23rd
Chavez (Portugal) to Astorga (Spain) 228 miles or 6 hours 8 mins
Another early start, we were fed and watered and on the road at around 9am, we followed winding country roads and entered the National Park Serra de Montesinho at first the route was fast and enjoyable (pic courtesy of cookie,thanks mate.......)
Oscar%20and%20I%20Portugal%2007%2016-L.jpg

Then route became tight and twisty and progress was slow we could see our ETA for the hotel slipping further and further away as it was difficult to maintain a high enough average speed, over a coffee we devised a plan to cut some of the route, coffee stop........
655-L.jpg

We arrived in Astorga mid afternoon to a Hotel located in the town's main piazza, there was no pool sadly :(
Angi lead us on a walking tour of the city's sights which features Gaudi architecture, if only there were an informed architect among our group who could tell us a little more about these fantastic buildings eh Dave?
Some sights from our walk, every 3rd item on the walking tour list was punctuated with a stop at a nearby bar :beer:
663-L.jpg

665-L.jpg

667-L.jpg

651-L.jpg

670-L.jpg

We dined on Tapas that night and because we were Brits in Spain we wore Sombrero's and carried a straw donkey around with us, or maybe we didn't :augie
671-L.jpg

Day 9 Saturday 24th
Astorga to Santander 228 miles ish.......
Our last day in Spain and our mission is to get to Santander in good time for our 4.30pm ferry departure, Oscar lead and being a local lead us on a fast route to a point where we could drop into the Picos and spend a couple of hours there before heading to Santander, after the briefest of coffee stops on the outskirts of the Picos
672-L.jpg

It was great to finish the trip among scenery like this
673-XL.jpg

A great trip, thanks to the guys who made it and commiserations to those who didn't :D

Hotel Astur Plaza, Astorga; https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/astur-plaza.en-gb.html?aid=304142;label=gen173nr-1FCA4oggJCAlhYSDFiBW5vcmVmaFCIAQGYATG4AQ3IAQ_YAQHoAQH4AQOSAgF5qAID;sid=71bd56f5a323810b63f41946d324cd03;dcid=2

Enjoying this Steve.... :thumb

A good RR and some very good pictures and weather, enjoying it.

great report, as ever :bow

i'll post up some more pics later :)

Great report. Thanks for it and the graet pics.
Dream of doing a fair part of something like this but the costs put me off a bit.
:rolleyes:

Enjoying this Steve.... :thumb
Cheers Ash it was a belter :thumby:

A good RR and some very good pictures and weather, enjoying it.
Cheers :beerjug:

Superb ride and report
Thank you :beerjug:

great report, as ever :bow

i'll post up some more pics later :)
Cheers mate, fill your boots :thumby:

Looks great Steve!
Thanks very much!
You're very welcome Rich :thumby:

Dream of doing a fair part of something like this but the costs put me off a bit.

Go for it, the ferry crossing is not cheap but we found that hotels, meals, restaurants & beer were very cheap, fuel is more expensive than in the U.K. but not by too much, it is a great place to ride we saw hardly any bikes the whole trip which was something of a surprise to me having read Ride magazine's excellent report I thought we might see a lot of U.K. bikers :nenau

ferry was a bit steep, but portugal is really cheap. the great meal steve refers to at €20 per head was actually €13 a head, but we felt we couldn't give the bloke that little, so we paid €20. steaks looked like something fred flintstone might have too :thumb2

some pics and observations...

sailing into Santander harbour. French flag at half mast as we'd just had the bastille day atrocity :(

Portugal%2016%20iPhone%204-5973x1856.jpg

i was pleased to note our first hotel's breakfast room was clearly an homage to the KTM factory canteen.

Portugal%2016%20iPhone%208-XL.jpg

hiding in the shade. we did that a lot.

Portugal%2016%20iPhone%2011-XL.jpg

view from our hotel in Vila Real. the suspension bridge is pretty spectacular. notable as it dips in the middle rather than arching.

Portugal%2016%20iPhone%2012-5762x1856.jpg

don't see these much in the UK anymore. not uncommon in Portugal.

Portugal%2016%20iPhone%2022-X2.jpg

our fab *suite* in the convent.

Portugal%2016%20iPhone%2024-8240x1856.jpg

our private sun terrace

Portugal%2016%20iPhone%2029-XL.jpg

if you're going that way, you really should stay there. best hotel of the trip, and there were no bad ones.

Portugal%2016%20iPhone%2026-8088x1856.jpg

moving on...

Portugal%2016%20iPhone%2042-XL.jpg

oscar and i are warned not to go up there.

Portugal%2016%20Lumix%2058-XL.jpg

...so we went down here. steep cobbles covered in loose tree debris on loaded adventure bikes. what could go wrong?

Portugal%2016%20Lumix%2060-XL.jpg

well, nothing as it turned out. being riding gods has it's advantages :D

Portugal%2016%20Lumix%2064-XL.jpg

mrs cookie. our photographer for the on bike stuff.

Portugal%2016%20Lumix%2049-XL.jpg

there is virtually no traffic on these roads.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Holidays...rtugal 16 Lumix 132-XL.jpg[/IMG] more later.

Really enjoyed your post,thanks for putting it all together, could feel the heat coming from your photos . Hope our trip has the Sun for us this year:thumby:

Great report chaps, with superb pics as well, one of my brothers has just bought a property in the Algarve, so I'm hoping to keep a bike there in the not too distant future. It seems the riding both on road and off is pretty dam good.

Back
Top Bottom