GS to XR

No vibes on my 2018 model, just loads of power everywhere! Makes my previous GS Rallye TE feel like a ponderous slow old beast!

The XR is truly wonderful bike!

The XR is in deed a great bike but it is flawed and thats why I didn't buy it

It is unacceptable that it has vibration, it may get better when run in, but thats pants ! If you buy one and are happy, good for you.

It has a chain and therefore is inherently a PITA

All the stuff about excitement is great, but a GS beater in the real world it isn't, its a weekend warrior and if thats what you want its better than a GS/A, otherwise its no better than the KTM/Ducati.

But it does have a place

Ok lets look at this, I've had 1150, original GS1200 and GSA, GSA Twin Cam and GSA LC 1200's and completed at least 12000 miles a year on them. I now have an XR and the vibrations on the GSes were significantly worse both through the handlebars, the feet and the seat.

I've had 5 drive boxes replaced on those GSES two catastrophic failures and various levels of problems with the others. I would suggest that whilst oiling a chain can be an issue for some, they are pretty much all sealed roller units so do not need the level of messing with from the old days and while I'm going through that tedious pressing of a can to oil it I am taking the opportunity of checking everything else is ok sat the same time.

As to them only being a Weekend warrior? I've only done 5600 miles in the 10 weeks of ownership including a tour of France and the west country so couldn't really comment on that.

I got given a GS as a loaner whilst mine had a bit of work on it and wondered if I'd want to return but am happy to say no I wouldn't,. The GS is a great bike but to be honest, its a bit too soggy and pipe and slippers for a young 60 year old like me.
Still wouldn't do for us all to be the same :)

Well said ianran. Two years down the line and I'm still as pleased as ever with my XR. A week long tour around Scotland last month taking in the North Coast 500 and Skye was a real hoot. It is far from a weekend warrior's steed, it is truly a versatile all rounder. The GS beats it hands down off-road but for every day fun, touring and grin inducing silliness, there's not a lot out there that will beat it. From a multi-GS owning rider aged 59½!

I agree with you that the XR is probably the best/funnest superbike for the road,period !
The only thing that keeps me off it is the chain:( and the fact that I would loose my license on it.
But when I see the new 2019 Tripleblack for the first time only god can help me...;)
Or if they come out with a R 1250 XR...:D

I agree with you that the XR is probably the best/funnest superbike for the road,period !
The only thing that keeps me off it is the chain:( and the fact that I would loose my license on it.
But when I see the new 2019 Tripleblack for the first time only god can help me...;)
Or if they come out with a R 1250 XR...:D

Will you stop bleating on about an R1250XR. IT IS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

Nutty never say never !
The R 1250 XR would be the best of Both worlds;GS & XR !
17 inch wheels,TL,driveshaft,& boxer that can save your legs and TORQUE right to 8000 rpm where the XR starts to go.I would sacrifice the 20 hp on top of the XR to get all this !
Hell I'm sacrificing 45 hp as we speak as the XR really makes 160 at the rearwheel while the GS 115-118..;)

Nutty never say never !
The R 1250 XR would be the best of Both worlds;GS & XR !
17 inch wheels,TL,driveshaft,& boxer that can save your legs and TORQUE right to 8000 rpm where the XR starts to go.I would sacrifice the 20 hp on top of the XR to get all this !
Hell I'm sacrificing 45 hp as we speak as the XR really makes 160 at the rearwheel while the GS 115-118..;)

I’m saying NEVER. Why would BMW make a shaft driven XR? The XR has such a huge following in Europe (we saw ten times more XR’s than GS’s all last week), there is no way they’ll make a shaft driven XR, as the sort of rider that buys an XR wants as much power as possible, and the shaft loses too much. Unless they do a 180bhp version, which will never happen.

The only way there will be a GS with a 17” front wheel will be when the reintroduce the HP2 range, which BMW has already said won’t happen. If you want a GS with a 17” front wheel and 160bhp, you’ll have to make one yourself.

Nutty of course BMW will not make I shaft driven S1000XR.
When I say "R 1250 XR " I mean a GS with 17 inch wheels with the right geometry and no loss of ground clearance right from the factory like you get if you put 17 wheels on it and of course a boxer engine with 140-160 hp...:thumby:
That is definitely a possibility !
They would sell lots of them to people who want a sporty and comfortable boxer and are put off by the chain,revvy nature and no low down torque of the XR...

Nutty of course BMW will not make I shaft driven S1000XR.
When I say "R 1250 XR " I mean a GS with 17 inch wheels with the right geometry and no loss of ground clearance right from the factory like you get if you put 17 wheels on it and of course a boxer engine with 140-160 hp...:thumby:
That is definitely a possibility !
They would sell lots of them to people who want a sporty and comfortable boxer and are put off by the chain,revvy nature and no low down torque of the XR...

It’s not a possibility. ;)

BMW know that there are two types of customer. One that wants a shaft driven GS, and one that wants a 160bhp chain driven upright superbike. It would not be worth them producing a higher powered shaft driven GS with a 17” front wheel for the 0.0001% of customers that want that sort of bike.

They know that any GS owners that want that from an adventure style bike will either buy an XR to run alongside their GS, or will convert the front wheel and play with the fuelling on their GS.

It would be a daft move to produce what you’re asking, and not financially justifiable.

Look how many people convert their GS to 17 inch wheels to get quicker steering,sportier looks and being able to run sport rubber on the track.Even if the geometry is no right and they loose 1 inch of ground-clearance on the front.
Done right from the factory they would sell lots of them !
As also there is a market for the XR for people who don't like boxers and want a superbike with a powerful 4 cylinder but also a comfortable seating position and being able to ride 2-up with gear dry and secure in hardbags as always a practical centerstand to lube the chain or change tires more easily.

Look how many people convert their GS to 17 inch wheels to get quicker steering,sportier looks and being able to run sport rubber on the track.Even if the geometry is no right and they loose 1 inch of ground-clearance on the front.
Done right from the factory they would sell lots of them !
As also there is a market for the XR for people who don't like boxers and want a superbike with a powerful 4 cylinder but also a comfortable seating position and being able to ride 2-up with gear dry and secure in hardbags as always a practical centerstand to lube the chain or change tires more easily.

Yep, you’re right. There’s been all of 3 people on this forum that have done the conversion. :thumb :blast

There is companies in Germany making a living off R12GS 17 inch wheel conversions...
If you don't believe me check out Rennkuh.de

There is companies in Germany making a living off R12GS 17 inch wheel conversions...
If you don't believe me check out Rennkuh.de

I now actually look forward to your posts. :JB

Gs to Xr

I,ve had a few gs and gsa and one Xr what a rocket especially with the chip in, my 2018 gsa had rear brake failure in the Austrian alps in August all fixed but have that niggling feeling when having a blast on the twistys as there was no explanation for the failure no leak no fluid loss anyway got a 2018 Xr hp colours booked for test ride this weekend time for a change, not as comfortable on long trips as gsa but for the other 11 mths of the year, what a bike for tacking out the Rossies on the twistys and making you grin when they look down at the road and wondered what just happened, gs and gsa great all round tourers do everything you want but get on an Xr and it’s brings out the devil

Back
Top Bottom