Givi Trekker Outback 42L top box on 2012 R1200GS

masherbike

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just bought a new Givi Trekker Outback 42L from an Ebay shop. It should arrive today It comes complete with an SR684 rear plate which is said to fit on 04-12 GS. The box weight capacity is 10kg, but I have just searched the internet and it appears the rear plate weight capacity is 6kg. so I can only carry 6kg minus the weight of the top box right? I then saw something on a BMW site saying if I add an M5 plate the weight capacity of the plate will become 10kg. I am a bit confused, why do I need to fit 2 plates? Can anyone explain?

I've never paid any attention to the weight limits for racks/boxes - I've loaded various brands, including BMW and Givi, well over the quoted weight and done 1000s of miles with them without any issues. The limits are quoted for legal liability reasons but they seem very conservative.

Just bear in mind that if you try to fill up the topbox with bricks it will affect the handling/stability of the bike :D Otherwise, don't worry too much.

I got 3 litres of duty free malt in mine on top of all the other crap....I don't remember weighing anything!

If your overly worried about it there's a metal version of that fixing plate (will look much better in the bike as well)

L7X1ZXs.jpg

They are around €100

If your overly worried about it there's a metal version of that fixing plate (will look much better in the bike as well)

L7X1ZXs.jpg

They are around €100

Thats nice, where from please?

Try motostorm.it

or there is a seller on eBay called "ricambi"

Sent from a OnePlusX

Givi sell the mounting mushrooms and pyramid so you could make your own plate an fasten it to the OEM carrier.

Givi do a 6kg and a 10kg rack for the Outback trekker 42. The ebay shop sent me the 6kg rack, the top box weights 5.9kg, therefore I can carry 100 grammes of luggage. I sent the rack back and they sent me the 10kg version. I appreciate that the max load figures are very conservative and Givi want us to take all responsibility for damage but I would much rather have a 10kg rating than 6kg and I'm sure my riding buddies would too.

Back
Top Bottom