Aluminium panniers for F650 / G650 sertao

iceclimber

Reaction score
Hi to all in the 650 - 450 singles forum (again).

Well after 1 year of 'lording' it on an 800GSA ... it is NOT to be any more :nenau .... I was knocked off it 3 weeks ago, 5 broken ribs & one written-off bike.

So, I am going back to a 650 single ... in fact a 2012 G650 Sertao. Now a problem I have is, I loved the BMW aluminium panniers I had on the 800GSA ... BUT they will only fit the 'twins' & so I will be advertising them soon on this site. (they were new last year)

I do not like the 'vario' type panniers at all and I would much prefer some top loading Aly panniers for the 650. I've seen the Hepco stuff & GIVI outback panniers (both EXPENSIVE .... like £600+ or more for racks / panniers :eek:)

Has anyone any experience ... good or bad of using Aly panniers on the 650 ?

I notice that Motorworks do some cheap Aly boxes call Alpos; look very basic but also very low cost; fixing kits look a bit naff ? :confused:

cheers

I haven't got a 650 single but recommend Ard cases - Roger is a top bloke, best value panniers around and quality kit too. :thumb2

Youve brought a lighter bike. Why not keep it that way !!!

Forget heavy boxes and heavy frames. Go for good quality, waterproof soft bags and leave the big boxes for the Starbucks posers.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Forget heavy boxes and heavy frames. Go for good quality, waterproof soft bags and leave the big boxes for the Starbucks posers.

Yep .... thx, understand what your saying .... I had soft bags on a suzuki SV1000 once & I hated them ? The vario panniers on my last 650 were poor as stuff always fell out of them as soon as you opened them ? the convenience of the Aly boxes on the 800 was just great on my trip to Spain last year. Took the boxes off as soon as I got there, just used them for getting me & my stuff (lots of it !) there & then back again.

Cant argue that they're convenient...

Until you want to filter... Or carry them.

Ive used cheap canvas pattern 57 army bags with removable waterproof inners that you just throw over your shoulder and straight into the pub :)

I haven't got a 650 single but recommend Ard cases - Roger is a top bloke, best value panniers around and quality kit too. :thumb2

Plus 1 for Roger he will make any size you want at appx half the BMW/ mule price. Great kit, my pal forgot to fasten one of his on, went about 800 m and a 40 mph it came off, hit the back wheel first which catapulted it into the air, bounced down the road. Other than a bit of deep scratches to the anodizing he just fitted it (fastened up the connectors thistime) and rode on.

OK, NO ally panniers after all !!

I went for the soft option in the end. Went for the Enduristan bags (also tried the Andy Strapz) tried both from Zen Overland who were really helpful.
Decided however to fit simple pannier rack though .... After looking at the design and fitting arrangements of all those available, I went for the Hepco & Becker rack which have a really good quick release mechanism for when you don't want the racks on the bike.
All quite expensive, particularly the rack !! ...... but I believe I've got the right option for the bike.

Back
Top Bottom