NEW ENGINE!

You seem to be spending a lot of time in this section, Dave.:augie:D

I have a liking for a TB WC I think it's the best looking GS and the gs platform is great but regardless I think with all issues relating to corrosion and stig having 4 engines in 2 bikes it does worry.

Now where as you can happily buy a TC out of warranty, Can you do the same with a WC ? If not, it don't say much does it

I had a GS which I sold for an RT, stay with me! The RT arrived as I bought at distance from BMW, it had corrosion on the engine and final drive and the front fork so I refused to accept the bike. It went back to Plymouth where, eventually, the engine, drive and fork were all replaced foc. It would have included the 600 mile service but before that became due I'd seen a shiny new TB :rolleyes:. Anyway I no longer have an RT and am heading towards the 600 mile service on my GS. :D

The RT was a WC engine and was less than a year old. :blast

One comment I would add is that my 2009 GS MU and 2012 RT TC both had similar or even worse engine corrosion than my GS LC did at two years old. It just didn't occur at the joint between the block and the barrels

It never occurred to me to complain on those bikes as corrosion is inevitable on a bike, but I saw threads on here about engines being changed, so thought it was worth asking AJ's to look into it at the 12k service

One comment I would add is that my 2009 GS MU and 2012 RT TC both had similar or even worse engine corrosion than my GS LC did at two years old.

Burn the witch!:rob:D

One comment I would add is that my 2009 GS MU and 2012 RT TC both had similar or even worse engine corrosion than my GS LC did at two years old.

Taking the above into consideration it sounds like the corrosion is down to owner neglect .

Taking the above into consideration it sounds like the corrosion is down to owner neglect .

Only in the respect that they lived in a concrete garage with a corrugated roof, so condensation in winter is an issue. They were all stored in a clean conditions with plenty of FS365.

That doesn't explain the flecks of corrosion on my new engine which had not seen a wet road, salt or any condensation between April and July ;)

Nearly every used bike in my local dealers has the same corrosion to a certain degree

New Engine

I agree, brand new RT in May last year (to replace one which had the engine and swing arm corrosion) had done 5,000 rain/moisture free miles, lo and behold 12 months later corrosion on the new bike both the engine and swing arm white spots of corrosion. The bike was ACF 50'd from new and on the engine it is where the cylinder block meets the cylinder head. Unless BMW sort things this will be the last "new" BMW I get. My 20 year old R1100RS is my winter bike and apart from the front engine cover which gets a pounding the rest of them bike is great. Is it water based paints now, though I understand the new engines are powder coated or the engineering process, as the parts are powder coated the machined? The thing is there will be a lot of 2-3 year old bikes now, BMW will surely stop replacing parts at some point so what happens then?
Nearly every used bike in my local dealers has the same corrosion to a certain degree[/QUOTE]

Surely Bmw cannot carry on with replacements, so there well aware there's an issue especially after replacing so many engines, maybe the 2017 updated model will be sorted ?

My new engine and drive train was fitted about 17000 miles ago and the paint finish is still perfect !

Finally got round to getting mine looked at. Now the wait while it's passed back to bmw to decide next steps.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom