Weekend in France

Joe narvey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having seen a few posts asking for suggestions on mini breaks to France I thought I'd post this..

Objective is to have a cheeky weekend away, enjoy some good riding, great food and a few sights.

High level plan is :

Friday - early start from home (London - Tower Bridge). Bimble to Greenwich, black Heath and the A20.
A20-> M20 approx 66 miles and 1h 30min according to google. (Actually 1hr 20min including the obligatory stop for expresso).

Crossing at 836 so check in planned for 0800. Had text from eurotunnel saying not to arrive early because of security checks, etc. Several bikers on same train and a few sightings of GSER stickers..

0d8e275eeca687a7a788fa58cb1ef979.jpg

I'm guessing second hand panniers with stickers as they didn't know what GSer was.

Bike duly parked at a diagonal, left in gear and the journey begins.

35min later unloading into Calais. Follow the sign for the A16 and set off south.

The bike side road to avoid the tolls have gone- shame as I'd only recently started using it.

Headed for St Valery Sur Somme. Approx 1.5hrs south of the eurotunnel exit.

A few awesome harbour front restaurants doing fresh fish. The town is worth a ride around - walk around, including the old town that has great views and a couple of unassuming local coffee bars.

Went to usual place here which is Le Mathirin.

e3e614cbcc56118b3fb841ea9c9760ea.jpg

Food is excellent and reasonably well priced. It doesn't patronise the English with little photos sealed in plastic.

1f0c8592de65cde1f49a668f553ce4b0.jpg

83c46075cb246652fef5047e9069e488.jpg

Quick bimble around the Somme area and
then back to Montrieul sur mer. Visit to the wine society for a cheeky calvados and catch-up with a friend that help run the local biker group.

c620478a464bf31283f07fca93e8c666.jpg

Check in at a superb little boutique place that had arranged secure parking for the bike.

4ab4140cbb0fc8c8320dfc1bf3f98c94.jpg

Enjoy the welcome Rose in the garden

810fdd99c13967a84661588582797945.jpg

Quick change before soup at the awesome pot du clappe

And then walk to the 1030pm open air performance of Les miserables ( the town features in the book). Superb open air theatre and light show with a a cast of hundreds. Didn't understand a word of it ..

2fe417e36c91e71afa4db5b057dfbd48.jpg

Finished at 0030. Saturday dinner was roast sulking pig and 10hr roasted beef cooked on self basting rotisserie - :)

Sunday morning trip to cheese shop before back up to the tunnel and home for Sunday lunch.

Happy to share routes, roads etc if anyone interested.

Food features a lot in the above, and it annoys me that they produce such effortlessly good food- but would be a shame not to eat it after the effort they went to to make it.

Can you put your GPS route up or list the roads for boss, please.

Didn't use the sat Nav as its a frequent trip.

And this isn't the direct route it was the scenic route plus riding through a few towns I wanted to see.

From eurotunnel exit A16 down to the exit to Jnct 28 ( I think) (D901) towards Samer.

Stay on the 901 avoiding Samer and continue south. Great straight fast roads until Montreuil.

Either visit Montriel now or stay on the 901 towards nempont Saint fermin. Here the road turns into the D1001

Head towards Abbeville , before entering the town take the D40 west towards noyelles sur mer, riding to join the D940, travel south and Saint Valery sur Somme is sign posted. One way system in town, bike parking is provided near town square. Old town up the hill is worth a bimble.

To exit follow one way system to big roundabout and follow for D940 back to towards Noyelles Sur Mer.

Stay on the 940 so that the marsh land is on LHS.

(Time Permitting there is village here called crotoy which is worth a visit on a harbour, cheap accommodation and excellent fish restaurants.)

Stay on D940 past Rue, past Quend and toward Waben. Stay on D940 up until CUCQ. Here take the D144 back south to Saint Jose / Sorrus and then joining the D901E1 into Montrieul sur mer.

This last bit where I went north and then back south was to enjoy one of the best tree lined sweeping open perfect roads I've ever been on. So not very direct.

The route back has lots of opportunity to nip west and see the coast villages but the route above was the core trip.

HAd lunch in that very restaurant a couple of weeks ago

Complete gem of a place, love it. Last time I was there we had cod and the fishmonger next door ( same business) sold me some fish and the chef explained how he'd prepared it...it was on the barbecue later that day with some wild garlic, little salt pepper. Nom nom

Back
Top Bottom