Transferring routes onto the unit

APE

Reaction score
Hi guys I used to have a 2820 but now have a Zumo 340LM. I always plot routes on the PC and transfer onto the unit for trips abroad. Never had issues with the 2820. However with the 340 the unit seems to always recalculate the route when I switch on the unit after transfer (when it prompts to download any new routes added to the unit)

The problem is that it invariably recalculates with fastest roads (ie taking a motorway instead of a small road along the way) during this process. It's impossible to check once on the unit and very frustrating when I realise my route is not what I ploted on the PC. This is only an issue when there are options - once in the mountains it can only really go one way.

I thought about adding dozens on extra waypoints on the PC version I guess the unit is joining these dots (using the fastest way).

Sorry if a numpty question or has been covered perviously - am i missing something here ?

I'll probably get shot down in flames here but set your avoidances the same on PC & device or uncheck them all. Also check settings for fastest/shortest routing preference on both

iand46 is correct check all your preference settings on basecamp/ mapsource in transportation mode and then do the same on the nav, ensure they are the same on both, or you could do as you suggest and add loads of via or waypoints to make the route stay as is.

The problem will lay firmly with the settings being different between your PC and your device

Have a read of this it may help although it is primarily for Nav 5 for the principle is the same. You can ignore all the stuff about creating a route but the settings part should see you on your way

Ok great I'll check the settings on both. My fear is the unit only recognises actual waypoints when recalculating. However creating dozens (hundreds ?) of waypoints on the PC would take forever (the trips are typically 2k+ miles over a few days). So I use the routing function on the PC and just click on points along the route/ roads as I go along (so these technically arent waypoints ?). I wondered if that was my problem rather than the base settings.

Very simple: Sort your computer's / device's, settings and preferences out and all should be well. Report back here if it isn't.

Should also make sure same maps are on the unit as used to calculate the route on the pc:rob

Back
Top Bottom