HID installation instructions. (Large ballast type)

notagser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 1150 came with the low beam fitted with a large ballast HID, originally supplied by Nippy Normans. (As photo)

Does anyone happen to have a set of installation instructions for this older style of unit?

I’m sorting the wiring out as part of a driving light/lightbar installation, and wanted to check that the original installation is correct. This ballast seems to have a power supply direct from the battery, whereas when I fitted a slim ballast HID to my K1200RS, I seem to recall that the power came from the headlight connector.
Or am I mis-remembering? :confused:

Attachments

• P81800639(2).jpg
    P81800639(2).jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 195
I've now tidied up the wiring for this, and moved the small trigger unit to somewhere more convenient.
However, the unit was originally installed with a 25A fuse in the power feed to the relay.
Is 25A excessive for a 35w lamp, or is the startup current much higher than I'm expecting?

The strike pulse will be higher than the rated 35w but nowhere near the 300w possible through a 12v 25A fuse. As you say most HID's get the power supply from the original headlamp supply without any need to change the fuse so whatever the standard fuse is will do. Probably 5A or 8A for a single 55w lamp. Watts = Volts x Amps.

Back
Top Bottom