Dropped my 1200GS off the side stand

Nickr1073

Reaction score
Crap start to the day as ive dropped my 1200GS Lc off the side stand the usual damage to the cylinder head as expected as ive not long had the bike and yet to fit any crash bars but im after some advice on the rear rack which is badly scratched which is the best way to go about either replacing this which looks like an expensive way or has somebody got any other ideas as this must to happened to a few people over time

Many thanks Nick

A surprising question.

Live with the so called 'damage'....(with maybe a tactical sticker or two)

Or smooth it off and paint it.

Or replace with new.

Anyway,such miniscule cosmetic 'damage' will become invisible among all the scratches,dents,scuffs and scrapes your all terrain,globe busting machine will receive during its intended purpose.

Well,if you believe the brochure,anyway. :augie

Warranty....................just claim a paint defect and bob's your uncle

I hope that was tongue in cheek. :rob

Along with all these fecking 'blame someone to claim from someone' feckers,false warranty claims are costing us all dearly.

Will just have to put up with it for now as theres just no secondhand ones around even tempted to put an GSA rear rack on it as they look like the same fittings ??

I wouldn't worry about it. Leave it there & claim the Kudos by telling anyone who spots it that the damage occurred when you brilliantly avoided a careless/drunk/sleeping lorry driver, but clipped an oncoming Tuk-tuk in the process, on the Road of Bones whilst doing your mahoosive RTW trip. :thumb2

Or buy a new one. :thumb2

...im after some advice on the rear rack which is badly scratched...

Put some panniers on it or just get them powder coated, the latter shouldn't cost you much. When I had my F800GS I got a bunch of stuff done for about £50. For the cyclinder heads you could just fit some Touratech cylinder head guards to cove up the damage, you'll want them on anyway in case it happens again, which it will.

I've been close to dropping my GSAW when getting off once when the side stand 'failed'... was a combination of a slight camber and soft tarmac on a very hot day. Luckily, I saved it but having read of the problems I am always very careful with it. FYI: suspension settings will determine height of the bike and thus lean angle on the side stand, a foot might help too.

Have dropped my 2006 GSA a few times i was as gutted as you by the scratches on the crash bars and head protectors.

Decided to cosmetically repair the scratches by sanding off the burrs and filling the gouges till smooth then spraying (feathering in) with Hemarite Silver Smooth.
Not an exact match for the crash bars but unless your on your knees giving the bike a close inspection you don't notice it.
Repaired the head protectors the same way again you cant tell they were ever damaged.
If your handy with body repairs filler and spraying you can get a satisfactory finish with out too much time and effort!!
Make sure you mask everything up if you do.

Have since swapped out the head protectors for Machine art head covers from Nippy Normans.

My side stand failed, some one didn't leave it in gear on my solo trip the Norway, panniers filled to to brim, bags and tent lashed across panniers, the road was gravel - bottom right pannier slight scratch being only damage, they can really cushion the fall and leaves the bike at about 45° so easy to pick up.

Crap start to the day as ive dropped my 1200GS Lc off the side stand the usual damage to the cylinder head as expected as ive not long had the bike and yet to fit any crash bars but im after some advice on the rear rack which is badly scratched which is the best way to go about either replacing this which looks like an expensive way or has somebody got any other ideas as this must to happened to a few people over time

Many thanks Nick

If it is the rear rack off a LC GS I have one in my shed - as new.

It is as new - came off a bike registered in March 2016.

Cost - zero as long as you pay postage- it will be about £20.

I will take a pic later on to make sure it is what you want

Would be very interested in the rack mate and yes a picture would be superb
Big thanks Nick

If it is the rear rack off a LC GS I have one in my shed - as new.

It is as new - came off a bike registered in March 2016.

Cost - zero as long as you pay postage- it will be about £20.

I will take a pic later on to make sure it is what you want

There are some bloody nice folk on here. :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom