Best Adventure Bike Ever ?

It certainly shut him up for a while, while he thinks of another comeback (which will be yet another dig at the GS :rolleyes:).

Yeah it's called going to sleep for the night.:aidan

Arsey this GS hating is getting a bit stale mate, you need to cast your net a bit wider
:augie
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/426758-Have-a-crawl-under-your-9T-chaps

All joking aside I would love to buy another GS but I like to buy my bikes 12-18mths old and keep them for a few years and these issues are just a pain while the bikes in warranty but would scare the shit out of me if buying a used one. It's a shame because I absolutely love the way the GS rides . My Crosstourer has a better engine and the DCT gearbox (on the road) is bloody fantastic BUT it just doesn't "ride" quite like a GS does. However the Honda build quality and the way it's screwed together is evident when you own one and definitely better than my 11plate Twin Cam.

All of the Europen brands are enjoying unparalleled sales success at the moment and seem to be able to produce bikes that people aspire to own , they are much better at design, marketing a 'lifestyle' and creating desirable products than the Japanese. The Japs are trying but not succeeding eg Yamaha - The Dark Sons campaign.

In the back of the mag that Arsey linked to there is a small piece about another Honda (just coincidentally, it could have been another Jap bike) the 2015> Crossrunner, a bike often derided mainly for its silly name and overlooked by buyers.

The guy comments on what a great bike it is with , in his opinion , some of the best build quality of any Honda. The original Crossrunner wasn't that good but I have read several group test where the new , much improved one, comes out top dog bikes like the tiger XRX, F800, and MV Tourismo.

Jap bikes just don't seem to excite like other brands and many GS owners seem to deride other Adventure styled bikes as just poor copies of the almighty GS. Hell, some even think that adding useful additions like panniers to your bike means that you are just trying to turn it into a GS copy ;)

For the record I have owned and loved an 1100, 1150 and 2011 1200GS . (12,000 , 50,000 and 60,000 miles respectively )

I don't hate GSs.

I've owned a few myself and loved my 1100 and 1150.

The GSA12 was great,but slightly disappointed it came delivered with rust,but bits replaced under warranty.

What I find amusing is people like Engineer who swear blind that the GS is the best bike in the world at everything and will never buy anything else.

I could well buy another GS in the future.But at the moment the styling does nothing for me,and the biggest turn off is the poor paint finish that needs a ridiculous amount of care to stop corrosion.And now it seems engines are also failing.OK,BMW may have the best after sales warranty but it would appear it needs it !

Mrtee has a go above that I change my bikes often-so what if I do !! The difference is I vary my taste and don't just buy the latest GS every year or so to keep it in warranty !!
And I use my bikes ! I've already done 4 trips away this year on 3 different bikes racking up over 8000 miles and am taking the MT10 away in a few weeks for another couple of thou.
I've had my KTM 950 SE for 8 years and no plans to sell it.

No plans to sell any bike anytime soon actually,apart from the scoot to make room for something else.

Engines now failing? First I've heard of that.:nenau

Ok,'failing' is the wrong word.Try 'engines needing replacement due to excessive corrosion or bolts falling out'.

:rob

So nothing new then. The bolt falling out was on ONE R9T, so don't you come on here tarring the GS with the same brush!:rob:D

So nothing new then. The bolt falling out was on ONE R9T, so don't you come on here tarring the GS with the same brush!:rob:D

Tarring a GS with a brush may keep the corrosion at bay though....
grinning-smiley-036.gif

What sort of 'Adventure' are you looking for? Offload, then possibly, but probably not an Africa Twin. I no longer ride offload with my GSA cos the damage potential is more than my pocket can take: these bikes are now costing nearly double compared with my first GS's. That said, a stock GSA falls over with more damage resistance than the Africa twin from reports that I've read .(Note fall over damage not hitting a tree) A £12K Africa Twin would never see a byway in my hands. Yes, I'd like one but am asking myself why.

Yeah it's called going to sleep for the night.:aidan

I don't hate GSs.

I've owned a few myself and loved my 1100 and 1150.

The GSA12 was great,but slightly disappointed it came delivered with rust,but bits replaced under warranty.

What I find amusing is people like Engineer who swear blind that the GS is the best bike in the world at everything and will never buy anything else.

I could well buy another GS in the future.But at the moment the styling does nothing for me,and the biggest turn off is the poor paint finish that needs a ridiculous amount of care to stop corrosion.And now it seems engines are also failing.OK,BMW may have the best after sales warranty but it would appear it needs it !

Mrtee has a go above that I change my bikes often-so what if I do !! The difference is I vary my taste and don't just buy the latest GS every year or so to keep it in warranty !!
And I use my bikes ! I've already done 4 trips away this year on 3 different bikes racking up over 8000 miles and am taking the MT10 away in a few weeks for another couple of thou.
I've had my KTM 950 SE for 8 years and no plans to sell it.

No plans to sell any bike anytime soon actually,apart from the scoot to make room for something else.

I saw today on the Honda website they offer some sort of treatment guaranteed for 3 years. Ceramic coating. It says if it corrodes with this, it'll be a no quibble issue. So they must also have some sort of corrosion issue. Sales guy I spoke to last week said the tri colours were more prone and if getting one, to get the treatment. http://www.chiswickbike.com/pages/paint-protection/motorcycle-paint-protection.htm
I liked the fact that one sized allen key fitted all the main panels and things you'd need access to. How I hate searching for different size heads! I didnt like the fact that you have to remove the cross brace to access the toolbox..

What a bloody palaver getting my optimate lead on to the battery, I think I've fallen out with my AT and the wee plastic tool box is a pain in the arse......

I saw today on the Honda website they offer some sort of treatment guaranteed for 3 years. Ceramic coating. Sales guy I spoke to last week said the tri colours were more prone and if getting one, to get the treatment. http://www.chiswickbike.com/pages/paint-protection/motorcycle-paint-protection.htm

Shock horror, salesman recommends you buy an extra product / service that his employer provides therefore generating more revenue and possibly commission too :thumb Tri colors more prone !? I'll hazard a guess that you weren't thinking of buying a black or a red one from this salesman.....Am I right ?:D

Shock horror, salesman recommends you buy an extra product / service that his employer provides therefore generating more revenue and possibly commission too :thumb Tri colors more prone !? I'll hazard a guess that you weren't thinking of buying a black or a red one from this salesman.....Am I right ?:D
Buying red. But if any corrosion issues, as already reported, wont be coveted under warranty. Knowing the idsue2ecists and that i ride all year with a bike that stands outside.....and unlikely to get washed...im ok with that

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

What a bloody palaver getting my optimate lead on to the battery, I think I've fallen out with my AT and the wee plastic tool box is a pain in the arse......
It is indeed a palaver. What idiot designed a tool box held in by dome head Allen bolts, and a battery so hidden that it needs an auxiliary ground lead? I nearly gave up trying to undo the positive bolt on the battery, until I realised that the battery will slide out a little way.

Buying red. But if any corrosion issues, as already reported, wont be coveted under warranty. Knowing the idsue2ecists and that i ride all year with a bike that stands outside.....and unlikely to get washed...im ok with that

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm sure its worth having done (having spoken to a few people who have and also having seen some of the stuff i've seen on here) and I agree you should go for it Don if it keeps your nice shiny new bike looking shiny and new for longer but for the guy to say that the ones with rwb coloured plastics are more prone to corrosion is pretty funny don't you think? Enjoy your new bike whatever colour it may be :thumb

I think what he was trying to say was, that the dirt and grime show up easier on the tri coloured ones, less so on others. But he stood by the fact that without a treatment (which is guaranteed for 3 years), he wouldn't be entertaining corrosion on spokes issues. Not sure. The GS suffered and I feel it now trying to shift it. ACF'd it once but not sure that helped. It is what it is I guess and I'll see how this pans out.

But he stood by the fact that without a treatment (which is guaranteed for 3 years), he wouldn't be entertaining corrosion on spokes issues. .

Sounds like he's talking shite because they only coat paint and plastics and not spokes.

Back
Top Bottom