are F800gs difficult to get onto centre stand?

Fitted the later 'straight' stand to my 2008 F800GS (curved stand) today. Much easier to get it on to it, and off again ... the 'bike doesn't have to be lifted and pulled on to it, merely standing on the leg and a gentle pull does it :thumb

i-7pb6Zwg-L.jpg

i-3q69T4f-L.jpg

i-QGQPpZn-L.jpg

i-KwW8gHG-L.jpg

Initially the centre stand was almost vertical when on it ...

i-5Q82LxV-L.jpg

But a little judicial filing on the lugs of the stand soon sorted that ...

i-tJZDp72-L.jpg

Result :thumby:

:beerjug:

Mine came with the newer design stand (and the crap Chinese cheap switch gear) and it just pops up on its stand with no problems but that could be the 17 stone on the lever :nenau

My centre stand has just failed, the old style one. cracked when i stood on it. New one on order. Any tips for removing the old one (first attempt and the nuts just spin around).

Thanks

My centre stand has just failed, the old style one. cracked when i stood on it. New one on order. Any tips for removing the old one (first attempt and the nuts just spin around).

Thanks

You could have had my original stand I removed, complete with Touratech alloy bash plate for twenty five quid, plus postage :D

There are very slim threaded bits/keepers at the back that the bolts (not nuts) screw in to, they're very slim but have a couple of small flats on them for a 21mm or 22mm spanner to fit .... to stop them turning :thumb

If you didn't know, you wouldn't know ... almost impossible to see :D

I reckon a CBT course would suit you no end. First thing I had to learn in my expensive route into riding a big bike.

I expect it's just me... but I really struggle to get this f800 onto its centre stand. I'm borrowing the bike from my bro' to see how I like it compared to my 1150 (that I've had for 14 years) Despite the massive weight of the 1150, it is easy to get up on the centre stand even with full panniers. The stand seems to be in just the right place to get your weight on it, and combined with a pull on the bars she's up first time every time. However the stand on this 800 just seems too far back.... I feel like a bloody contortionist trying to get enough weight on the stand to 'lever' it up. Is there a trick to it! Seems amazing to me given how much lighter the 800 is compared to my 1150.

Tricks and the knack would be much appreciated.

Will

I reckon a CBT course would suit you no end. First thing I had to learn in my expensive route into riding a big bike.

Possibly Don, but I've been riding motorcycles for over fifty years and them thar early 800's were about the most feckin' difficult to get on to the centre stand :rob

No knack ...just brute force ;)

I think Micky would have got the hang of it by now after 125k miles the stand was redesigned on later bikes and is easier to use what year is yours?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

My XR is one of the easiest bikes I've owned to put on its centre stand. Side stand is in my opinion dangerous unless modified

Cheers Micky,
Oh, could have save some dosh there! or got the new style one..... oh well.

Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom