R1200GS LC to R1200R LC?

Thanks for posting, some good info about the screen and seats, when I got a test run on a 1200R, I found the seat too low in that I could easily plant my feet either side of the bike, the knee bend was too extreme with the low seat that was fitted...

Thanks for posting, some good info about the screen and seats, when I got a test run on a 1200R, I found the seat too low in that I could easily plant my feet either side of the bike, the knee bend was too extreme with the low seat that was fitted...
That's the very reason I fitted the high seat, I'm just over six foot, I now find the seating position very comfortable, admittedly not as elevated as a GS! Helps with stability in strong crosswinds though and mpg!
cheers
tony

Hi Ade,
I tried to respond to your private message, my response doesn't seem to want to send, so here is what I said...........
Hi Ade,
I've been away for a couple of days and have just seen your message so am responding now!
The screen I have on my "R" is this
http://www.nationalcycle.com/vehicles/motorcycle-1/bmw/bmwr1200r/2015bmwr1200r/z2355.html

I bought it from
http://www.performanceparts-ltd.com (great company to deal with, very helpful)

I use the screen for all of my trips, actually it's on the bike for probably 90% of the time, just occasionally I take it off so I can ride the bike naked, as BMW intended, riding the bike in it's naked guise is actually very nice provided you don't need to exceed60mph
and under 60mph the bike is really quiet with virtually zero wind buffeting or wind noise.
The screen comes into it's own on trips, where the wind protection means the bike can be ridden at any speed with virtually zero wind buffeting and it also offers great protection from the elements. It's also nice to not have to keep cleaning my helmets visor(damn flies).

Generally I'm really pleased with the bike, I've owned GS's in the past, an 1100 and then an 1150(I put over 50,000 miles on both of them).
I may even buy another GS one day but at the moment I have no desire to change.
The "R" is quite a bit lower than the GS, it is easier to ride slowly, easier to move around(in the garage etc) and my girlfriend loves it on the back, she is 5'6" and can get on easily even with the panniers and top box fitted.
I know that the "R" offers slightly better performance than the GS and I think it holds the road better, it's also considerable better on fuel, I hardly ever get less than 60mpg and I don't ride slowly.
I had cruise control retro fitted to mine as it didn't have it from standard, it was expensive at £500 but well worth it for sticking to urban speed limits and it comes into it's own also when cruising on less inspiring roads.
Mine also has the ESA suspension which works great for altering the suspension to accommodate different loads, pillion etc.
The balance of the bike is exceptional, when coming to a stop in traffic etc I can often balance for a few moments before having to put my feet down, even with my other half and luggage on the bike.
There are four different height seat options for the R(different seats rather than an adjustable one as on the GS, low, standard, high and sport. I've experimented and actually bought three different(yes I'm mad). The sport is the highest and by far the firmest, I've finally settled
on the high option which is about an inch shorter than the sport but more forgiving yet still offering decent support( I'm just over 6 ft tall).
The best advice I can give is to take a test ride, I bought mine from Cotswold Motoradd in Gloucester, they've always proved very helpful and a pleasure to deal with.
Hope the above is of some use.
All the best and good luck
Cheers
Tony

Thanks Tony,

This is indeed a big help to a little shortie!

I try and sort a test ride out in the next couple of weeks once the September registration rush has died down a bit and if the R looks like it'll be easier for me to handle 2 up and I like the way the bike performs I'll see who comes up with the best the cost to change deal.

Thanks for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive reply

Ade

Owned R1200GS, R1200GSA and currently, R1200R.

R is by far and away the best road bike and a great touring machine, but I suspect the GS/A will be better for two up touring although I am convinced the R would be just fine for two up touring.

I never tour two up so for me it's academic.

I found the GS/A just way to bulky and heavy for most riding. Although I have ventured off road on GS and A, the experience was mildly terrifying and is best left to those with real off-road experience.

In my experiences the vast majority of GS/A owners NEVER take these bikes off road. The best boxer for two up touring is the RT without question.

Test ride the R, if you are a keen road rider, you will be pleasantly surprised.

I've just got a R1200R LC as a loan bike as my GS is having a new rear arm and drive under warranty.

Its clearly a bike aimed at a younger rider - the clocks are too small for me to read anything....

Owned R1200GS, R1200GSA and currently, R1200R.

R is by far and away the best road bike and a great touring machine, but I suspect the GS/A will be better for two up touring although I am convinced the R would be just fine for two up touring.

I never tour two up so for me it's academic.

I found the GS/A just way to bulky and heavy for most riding. Although I have ventured off road on GS and A, the experience was mildly terrifying and is best left to those with real off-road experience.

In my experiences the vast majority of GS/A owners NEVER take these bikes off road. The best boxer for two up touring is the RT without question.

Test ride the R, if you are a keen road rider, you will be pleasantly surprised.
Cheers for the reply-I'm currently waiting for my local dealer to get their R exclusive back from loan to a customer with his own bike in dock so I can give one a go

I've just got a R1200R LC as a loan bike as my GS is having a new rear arm and drive under warranty.

Its clearly a bike aimed at a younger rider - the clocks are too small for me to read anything....

Oh dear....I'll need to wear my varifocals on the test ride then!

You need to try it in display mode 2 (touring) as you simply get a bit speedo

Initially I thought display mode 0 was ridiculous so never used it, however I use it all the time now I'm more used to the bike. I never seem to use mode 1 (sport)

Does the the GS LC have a 'big' display then?

Does the the GS LC have a 'big' display then?

I wouldn't call it 'big' but you can change what's shown on the display. The separate speedo is analogue and IMO it's too small for old tosser like me- I can read the speedo in my car no problem so why do bikes ones have to be so 'kin small by comparison:rob

Interesting debate on clock size. The speedo on the GS and GSA were unreadable without reading glasses and I always had to rely on the speed reading on my satnav. However, speedo on the R is easily readable, a hell of a lot better than the GS.

As mentioned above, touring mode 2 is brilliant with a huge digital speedo, makes speed readout very easy.

Back
Top Bottom