Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: K1600GT vs a GS

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Have both a GSA and K16 GTL I am afraid the GSA gets taken out less and less. Although the ride over bumpy roads is harsher on the K for the pillion, but I but that down too full ohlins on the GSA, really wish could do the same upgrade on the K. Eats miles easily but you have keep an eye on the speed, I imagine the GT is worse.
    2006 Yellow R1200 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    A reverse gear would be good.

Gear shift assist, less so.
    Sounds like your ready for a goldwing

The K has a superb engine and tech, working best as a two up tourer.

Negatives: Low riding position, feckin heavy, blunt suspension, backdraft at speed and a handful in twisty corners.

Just feckin heavy. Very. JJH

Main reason I sold mine!
    Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    Just feckin heavy. Very. JJH

Do they still pull to the left ?
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    Do they still pull to the left ?
    The demo bike I tried tracked true and straight.

A big, heavy bike. so the expected reverse gear may be well received.

Comparing it to my GS, it was evident that where on the GS you get plastic panels that, in places, are quite flimsy, the K100GT felt far mre robust/substantial.

Yeah, it's 330 kg or close to it, it's on wheels and it moves if you push it along! Admittedly, I tend not to push it more than I have to so I park it somewhere facing uphill.
    1600GT isn't better than a GS, it's different. GS is slower compared to it , especially two up and panniers full where the GT will still pull 150+. GS is better on the narrow bumpy stuff, no doubt about that.
    In the Alps etc.. the GT ,I think , really comes into its own. Pulls up those hairpins with all the torque.
    Both great bikes, take a test ride though....

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    A reverse gear would be good.

Gear shift assist, less so.
    They have fitted both to the 2017 model. Next thing in line? I guess they'll dispense with the gear lever and make it an automatic; the bike would suit it for sure.

I won't have to park it uphill then if I trade it in. If they scooterise it though I don't think I'll bother.
    FJR1300's are heavy? Nobody moans about them...

I'm off to look at the new GT Sport model on Tuesday morning at Cannon in Braintree, I will be leaving my debit card at home !!! I think Black looks the fastest.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Looks like a Triple Black, seeing as it's not totally black!

Got a call yesterday morning from local motorrad to come down and see the latest just off the lorry K1600GT Sport as I had previously bought a new 2012 SE (sold last year). Absolutely visually stunning, imo, and fully loaded but minus a top case.

How much?

£21500 otr.

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormchaser View Post
    Got a call yesterday morning from local motorrad to come down and see the latest just off the lorry K1600GT Sport as I had previously bought a new 2012 SE (sold last year). Absolutely visually stunning, imo, and fully loaded but minus a top case.

How much?

£21500 otr.

Wow!
    Ouch !!! I had £19k in my head, we'll see what happens.

Prefer the blue, but cannot see me getting another one.

Whilst my 2012 K1600GTSE was a bit of a disaster area, BMW have improved reliability significantly since 2014, so I think most of the issues the early adoptors suffered have been addressed now; indeed we have the 2017 facelift too. That creamy smooth engine is certainly addictive & the weight melts away once on the move.

The OE Suspension units are of questionable quality IMHO, so prospective long term owners will need to budget for a nice set of Wilbers idc. Cooling can be an issue, with the bores only 5mm apart - the capability of the system seems marginal, so it is important to keep the rad clean or they will get hot & bothered in traffic, or mountain passes.

Have you tried the Forum. It's reasonably active, with a UK section. Check it out at: - http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/uk-riders/

Hope you enjoy the test Buttonmoon. You will need that heated seat/grips in this weather .............. KEN

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast