K1600GT vs a GS

Do they still pull to the left ?

The demo bike I tried tracked true and straight.

A big, heavy bike. so the expected reverse gear may be well received.

Comparing it to my GS, it was evident that where on the GS you get plastic panels that, in places, are quite flimsy, the K100GT felt far mre robust/substantial.

Yeah, it's 330 kg or close to it, it's on wheels and it moves if you push it along! Admittedly, I tend not to push it more than I have to so I park it somewhere facing uphill.
1600GT isn't better than a GS, it's different. GS is slower compared to it , especially two up and panniers full where the GT will still pull 150+. GS is better on the narrow bumpy stuff, no doubt about that.
In the Alps etc.. the GT ,I think , really comes into its own. Pulls up those hairpins with all the torque.
Both great bikes, take a test ride though....

A reverse gear would be good.

Gear shift assist, less so.

They have fitted both to the 2017 model. Next thing in line? I guess they'll dispense with the gear lever and make it an automatic; the bike would suit it for sure.

I won't have to park it uphill then if I trade it in. If they scooterise it though I don't think I'll bother.
FJR1300's are heavy? Nobody moans about them...

I'm off to look at the new GT Sport model on Tuesday morning at Cannon in Braintree, I will be leaving my debit card at home !!! I think Black looks the fastest.

Attachments

• k1600 2.jpg
    k1600 2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 447
  • K1600GT 3.jpg
    K1600GT 3.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 558
  • 2017-BMW-K1600GT-First-Look-Preview-11.jpg
    2017-BMW-K1600GT-First-Look-Preview-11.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 645
Looks like a Triple Black, seeing as it's not totally black!:D

Got a call yesterday morning from local motorrad to come down and see the latest just off the lorry K1600GT Sport as I had previously bought a new 2012 SE (sold last year). Absolutely visually stunning, imo, and fully loaded but minus a top case.

How much?

£21500 otr.

Wow!

Got a call yesterday morning from local motorrad to come down and see the latest just off the lorry K1600GT Sport as I had previously bought a new 2012 SE (sold last year). Absolutely visually stunning, imo, and fully loaded but minus a top case.

How much?

£21500 otr.

Wow!

Ouch !!! I had £19k in my head, we'll see what happens.

Prefer the blue, but cannot see me getting another one.

Whilst my 2012 K1600GTSE was a bit of a disaster area, BMW have improved reliability significantly since 2014, so I think most of the issues the early adoptors suffered have been addressed now; indeed we have the 2017 facelift too. That creamy smooth engine is certainly addictive & the weight melts away once on the move.

The OE Suspension units are of questionable quality IMHO, so prospective long term owners will need to budget for a nice set of Wilbers idc. Cooling can be an issue, with the bores only 5mm apart - the capability of the system seems marginal, so it is important to keep the rad clean or they will get hot & bothered in traffic, or mountain passes.

Have you tried the Forum. It's reasonably active, with a UK section. Check it out at: - http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/uk-riders/

Hope you enjoy the test Buttonmoon. You will need that heated seat/grips in this weather .............. KEN

Looking at changing my GS Rallye for a 2013 K1600GT SE - fortunately it will come with the 2 year warranty.

A couple of questions - does the GT-SE come with the adaptive headlamp ?

Were most of the early gremlins resolved by 2013 ?

Cheers
John

Looking at changing my GS Rallye for a 2013 K1600GT SE

A couple of questions - does the GT-SE come with the adaptive headlamp ?

Were most of the early gremlins resolved by 2013 ?

If it's not standard, it's available as an option. Your dealership or the BMW website will tell you.

I am on my third 1600, owning and riding the first two over 100,000 miles between them, the first being one of the first in the UK. The glitches * with the first bike did not reappear with the second nor now on the third.

Buy, use and enjoy with confidence. It really is a very good motorcycle.

* Pull to the left. Water pump leak. Dodgy left hand switchgear. Egg beater transmission. Radiator cap. The radiator cap and dodgy switchgear was not limited to the 1600, it also found its way into the 800 series bikes of the same (limited) production period.

I have the 1600 Exclussive and find it top heavy compared to my 1200GS, though it rides smoothly at speed it becomes difficult to manhandle on uneven surfaces at slow speeds due to its weight.Plus whilst I can pick up the 1200 the 1600 is definatly not a safe single person lift in any way shape or form.

From a pillion perspective I'd hop on the K1600 over the GS any day, there's more space between Rider and pillion, the back rest is 1000 x better and the seat is far more comfy, also the suspension can be adjusted to a different setting which helps smooth out the bumps. You may need to change screens if your pillion is tall, the GT screen causes a lot of buffering for a pillion. My hubby says he doesn't know I'm there on the K as the bike just performs the same whether he's solo with no luggage or two up and fully loaded.
We had a 12 plate which had a few issues and now have a 16 plate, they have definitely ironed out the problems over the earlier model. Don't get me wrong I love the GS as I ride one myself but as pillion it's the K1600 every time.

Back
Top Bottom