Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new twin shock classic!

My new twin shock classic!

I had the opportunity to buy it and absolutely had to say yes!

It's a 1960 Norton Jubilee 250 twin which was converted to long distance trials spec in 1991.

I'm going to give it a bit of TLC over the coming months

I won't lie, I'm smitten!!

_MG_9001 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_9004 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_9011 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_9014 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_9026 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Restoration and Paint services

07714 266 627

www.ctmotorcycleservices.co.uk

www.facebook.com/ctmotorcycleservices

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I'm smitten and I don't even own it... Lovely
    Sell my bike?
    I would rather stick wasps up my arse !

Looks lovely . Shame it'll soon be displaying an " all paint,no stickers " refresh . Leave it alone you meddler !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tosserbollockery

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    That's the funniest looking engine I think I've ever seen (in a good way!); all crankcase and no cylinders from the r/h side

Absolutely lovely looking bike Chris, I love it

Andres
    Doris doesn't give a fuck...be more like Doris!

That's lovely
    Somewhere in Somerset

Oh no, I'm smitten too

It had an engine rebuild about 150 miles ago so today I re-torqued the head and reset the valve clearances.

I keep standing back and looking at it ..... I'm such a twat!

07714 266 627

I am going to disagree with you all.
    I can tell you from personal experience that motor was absolute shite even when it was brand new. Long distance trials, you'll be lucky Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I am going to disagree with you all.
    I can tell you from personal experience that motor was absolute shite even when it was brand new. Long distance trials, you'll be lucky Chris.
    Oh I've read 1000 (ish) articles saying how shite they were. The chap I bought it from is 70 years old and has been trailing with it for 25 years, albeit occasionally. He nearly didn't buy it because of the reputation of the engine but he reckons in all that time it never let him down. He rebuilt the engine at the beginning of this year as he "felt it was about time" Sadly his trail riding buddy died shortly afterwards so he decided to hang up his trial boots.
    Sure I've only had it 36 hours but it's started first kick every time and sat there idling perfectly. It's clatters away like an old Talbot Horizon but as they say "They all do that sir"

07714 266 627

Evidence that British bike manufacturers were not wedded to the single. A high cam twin and if it had been developed and given better electrics, frame, forks etc rather than the shite AMC single transferable set up ... ? Yours has Roadholders it seems? Fitted to the Navigator and Electra models. Enjoy it, is all that matters.

Can't get the pic the right way round but if you want copies of the original and other stuff from the Norton manual, PM me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by scotboxer View Post
    Evidence that British bike manufacturers were not wedded to the single. A high cam twin and if it had been developed and given better electrics, frame, forks etc rather than the shite AMC single transferable set up ... ? Yours has Roadholders it seems? Fitted to the Navigator and Electra models. Enjoy it, is all that matters.

Can't get the pic the right way round but if you want copies of the original and other stuff from the Norton manual, PM me.
    That's great fella, I'll drop you a PM

My bike is running a Boyer Bransden electronic ignition system. Its started first kick every time I've tried it!

07714 266 627

Stunning

Sell it me before you do something stupid like painting it

Quote Originally Posted by thebuyer View Post
    Sell it me before you do something stupid like painting it
    Oh I am going to paint the tank. It's a BSA Goldstar tank converted to fit the frame. You can't see it in the photos but the top of the tank is in a hell of a state, there's paint and filler trying to escape and a bolt held in with filler where the BSA badge used to be. It's not because I'm being overly precious about it, just because it really is in a bad way. It'll be tasteful though, nothing fancy ...

07714 266 627

Quote Originally Posted by Tunneruk View Post
    Oh I am going to paint the tank. It's a BSA Goldstar tank converted to fit the frame. You can't see it in the photos but the top of the tank is in a hell of a state, there's paint and filler trying to escape and a bolt held in with filler where the BSA badge used to be. It's not because I'm being overly precious about it, just because it really is in a bad way. It'll be tasteful though, nothing fancy ...
    NO NO NO.... It's character ... Formed over years of being used... If you paint it that will be gone ..

there ya go
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by thebuyer View Post
    NO NO NO.... It's character ... Formed over years of being used... If you paint it that will be gone ..
    thebuyer is spot on here.

It's called patina and it's the way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast