Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new twin shock classic!

Quote Originally Posted by Hustler View Post
    thebuyer is spot on here.

It's called patina and it's the way to go.
    Fella, Patina is a fancy word for wear and tear. If the tank was all original but knocked about from use then I'd absolutely leave it, however it's an old non original gold star tank with horribly applied shitty filler holding in some awful bolt stuck in there to fill the hole. It's all falling out, it's not cool or full of character, it's just a shite job

With the greatest of respect to all that have decided that it would be better left alone, none have you have seen it in the flesh. Of the 15 or so people that have seen the bike, actually been here and seen it they have all without exception agreed when I've told them of my plans to paint it.

Right .... Off my soapbox!

Restoration and Paint services

07714 266 627

www.ctmotorcycleservices.co.uk

www.facebook.com/ctmotorcycleservices

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunneruk View Post
    Oh I've read 1000 (ish) articles saying how shite they were. The chap I bought it from is 70 years old and has been trailing with it for 25 years, albeit occasionally. He nearly didn't buy it because of the reputation of the engine but he reckons in all that time it never let him down. He rebuilt the engine at the beginning of this year as he "felt it was about time" Sadly his trail riding buddy died shortly afterwards so he decided to hang up his trial boots.
    Sure I've only had it 36 hours but it's started first kick every time and sat there idling perfectly. It's clatters away like an old Talbot Horizon but as they say "They all do that sir"
    Chris, I had one new, so I'm not quoting from a thousand articles. A friend had one new at the same time. Mine exploded within 1500 miles and his shortly after. The articles I read didn't say they were shite, they told of works riders riding easily to the summit of Snowden and covering thousands of trouble free miles. They must have been very different from the ones the public received. They really were turds and nasty turds to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Chris, I had one new, so I'm not quoting from a thousand articles. A friend had one new at the same time. Mine exploded within 1500 miles and his shortly after. The articles I read didn't say they were shite, they told of works riders riding easily to the summit of Snowden and covering thousands of trouble free miles. They must have been very different from the ones the public received. They really were turds and nasty turds to boot.
    Excellent, cheers for your input

07714 266 627

Reputations,factual experiences,road tests and internet opinions be buggered.

That bike is a thing of rare mechanical beauty.

I love it!

P.S.
    Thanks for the advice earlier Chris.
    I've got a baby bath half full of petrol on my driveway.

Excellent, cheers for your input
    All of an old geezer's sour carps to one side, I really do hope you don't have my experience of the Jubilee and enjoy the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
    Reputations,factual experiences,road tests and internet opinions be buggered.

That bike is a thing of rare mechanical beauty.

I love it!

P.S.
    Thanks for the advice earlier Chris.
    I've got a baby bath half full of petrol on my driveway.
    No worries fella, you might be surprised ............ when it bursts into flames

07714 266 627

Shame it wasn't '59 you wouldn't have to MOT it.

Fella, Patina is a fancy word for wear and tear. If the tank was all original but knocked about from use then I'd absolutely leave it, however it's an old non original gold star tank with horribly applied shitty filler holding in some awful bolt stuck in there to fill the hole. It's all falling out, it's not cool or full of character, it's just a shite job

With the greatest of respect to all that have decided that it would be better left alone, none have you have seen it in the flesh. Of the 15 or so people that have seen the bike, actually been here and seen it they have all without exception agreed when I've told them of my plans to paint it.

Right .... Off my soapbox!

Ok ok ... That is horrible ... Carry on

Quote Originally Posted by scotboxer View Post
    Evidence that British bike manufacturers were not wedded to the single. A high cam twin and if it had been developed and given better electrics, frame, forks etc rather than the shite AMC single transferable set up ... ? Yours has Roadholders it seems? Fitted to the Navigator and Electra models. Enjoy it, is all that matters.

Can't get the pic the right way round but if you want copies of the original and other stuff from the Norton manual, PM me.
    Always had reservations about the Jubbly altho' w/o direct experience thereof.
    Bike looks good Chris.
    Glad you'd a safe return Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuyer View Post
    Ok ok ... That is horrible ... Carry on
    It is indeed horrible.

If I were you I'd get that painted.

Quote Originally Posted by Hustler View Post
    It is indeed horrible.

If I were you I'd get that painted.
    Sure?

07714 266 627

It's a 1960 Norton Jubilee 250 twin which was converted to long distance trials spec in 1991.
    Looks ideal for MCC trials :-)

So by way of a quick update ....

I have yet to touch the old Jubbly but have ridden it most days since I've had it. It's started 1st or second kick every time and runs like a dream. The tank is worse than I first expected, it leaks when filled more than 3/4 full and the paint that's currently on it isn't fuel resistant .... you can imagine the state it's in. I'm super busy at CT HQ just now so the tank will have to wait a while. I have however ordered a pair of Dunlop D803's for it which with a bit of luck will arrive today. I'll get those fitted and hopefully get the wheels somewhere close to balanced. Currently the rim locks are throwing the rear out by TWO HUNDRED GRAMS! Anything over 50mph is challenging and it's certainly not doing the shock mounts and wheel bearings any favours.

Other than that, I'm still just as smitten as the day I picked it up. I took it to the Offham classic vehicle and steam rally a couple of weekends ago .... everyone was trying to bloody buy it off me!!

Quote Originally Posted by ian640 View Post
    Looks ideal for MCC trials :-)
    Ooooh, now I do like the look of that!!

07714 266 627

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12