Need a battery?

jacro

Reaction score
Called local bm dealer. 09 1200 gs battery £126. Creightons auto store,Lisburn road, Belfast. Exact same battery £48. Well, exactly the same apart from the £78 Bmw stamp.

How do you know it's the same battery? Cheap battery's arnt worth the hassle. Now if it's a good battery at a discount.... I worked in a motor factors and it was a long time ago but cheap battery's are cheap for a good reason. The number of times I've heard "it's the exact same". Big boxer engines are hard on battery's. It's the same in real terms as starting a 2.4 litre high performance car with 1/4 the size battery. JJH

Halfords or Youasa works great. I also use the same battery as the GS in my CBX's. Some GS use a short expensive battery with a plastic spacer. Take it out and use, YTX14BS

After using BMW Exide Gel batteries in my 1996 R1100RT for many years I have now moved over to using a Motobatt AGM battery.

The problem with the BMW Exide Gel on the R1100RT us that the ABS2 Controller battery sensing circuit is designed to trip out at too high a voltage.

This causes the ABS lights to go into 'fail' mode (alternate flashing) when cranking over on the Starter Motor when the gel battery has aged a bit even though the battery is still able to provide good cranking ability.

The BMW Exide Gel was replaced when this happened too frequently.

I have now changed to the Motobatt AGM to see if it will outlast the BMW Exide Gel and if the Motobatt is better at holding a higher voltage when cranking over after aging.

Battery voltage can NORMALLY drop to 9 volts when cranking and as long as it does not go below this voltage then starting should not be a problem.

The ABS2 system controller does not accept this low voltage as OK however and registers an ABS fail when it occurs.

I am hoping that the Motobatt AGM battery will sustain a higher cranking voltage for longer than the Exide Gel and thus save me from replacing a good battery prematurely.

Time will tell......

Odyssey batteries

Changed my battery to the Odyssey :thumby: version some years ago. The battery was cheaper that the BMW offering, which was known to be rubbish , and put out way more cranking power without upsetting the ABS on my old RS1100.
I'm contemplating changing to another for my 1200GSA.

Back
Top Bottom