A day on the Africa Twin.........

FFS there is something seriously wrong with with you !

Get a feckin grip man !! This is a motorcycle forum . GO all sandals ,BO ,n hummus if you want but don't bring it in HERE !
If you feel that strongly. Sell yer own bike n do WHATEVER ,, but enough wi the preaching :mooney and leave the rest of us to our toys :redbone

It's his EU Federal training , he can't help it. He'll probably quote you all the article , sub sections etc etc soon.

Idealism ... Fruit loop. :loopy

Nice report Richard, i'm pleased you liked it, and you know where I live when you want to try the DCT out,:D

ps, hope that 127 mph was on a private road or was it off road ;) nice pics too,

If that 127 MPH WAS off road hes got bigger balls than me....

Does putting anyone on ignore because you don't like what a person writes make you the blinkered one ?

I think it does.

Can't have him on Ignore as I might miss the software hack he promised us

So, I've just got back from a day on the Africa Twin. Dropped the Grom off first thing, for a few jobs, then put 240 miles on the AT, on all types of road, mainly nadgery tracks with gravel & grass down the middle.

It was a 65 plate manual, wih 3000 miles on the clock, for reference.

After a couple of miles, I got used to the feel of it, threading in and out of some traffic in town. Throttle was a bit snatchy, but I'll get used to that.

I then got to some familiar roads, so got a chance to open it up. It's definitely quick enough (127 on the speedo several times seemed to be at its limit), and the stock exhaust had a good sound to it. A full system would sound even better! One thing I noticed very quickly is how easy this bike is to ride. A few more miles under my belt on it, and it was as if it was mine, and it felt good.

I had a good look round the bike, and it's well put together. The spokes were all corroded, but that's been discussed, and I believe that there is a fix on the way. This bike has been through a winter already, and had a couple of rusty bolts, but the finish of the bike was generally very good.

The snatchy throttle didn't go away, and remained for the rest of the day. The brakes were OK, but could be much better. Someone in a Q7 nearly had an imprint of an Africa Twin in the side of them, but we managed to stop in time. Just!

I don't know what tyres were on the bike, but they seemed OK most of the time, but did manage to step out on a couple of dry, non gravelly bends, which was strange. I thought about the chap that hated his AT, then fell back in love after changing the tyres.

Overall, I really liked the bike. Much much more than I thought I would. It was great fun on some familiar roads, and certainly a bike that I could spend more time on.

Would I get one? Never say never. I wouldn't replace the GSA with one, but I'd like to try the DCT version, and consider it as an addition, rather than a replacement.

I assume you had an adventure helmet with peak on? Is the turbulence through the fork legs real or imagined? I have seen quite a few mods to prevent the updraft but can't work out if said updraft is imagined or not? (think pan weave...) Some do others dont. Comments?

I assume you had an adventure helmet with peak on? Is the turbulence through the fork legs real or imagined? I have seen quite a few mods to prevent the updraft but can't work out if said updraft is imagined or not? (think pan weave...) Some do others dont. Comments?

I'm away right now with a group and there's 7-AT and they report the issue of updraft and if you have a peak lid it's more noticeable, one of the guys has the plastic panel mod and it's resolved the issue.

I have 2k up and no updraft, not tried with peaked lid though. I am on my 3rd screen and probably looking for a 4th soon (MRA ?) oh and pans do weave, all 3 of my previous 1300's weaved, cured by increasing rear preload to max on older tired shocks or replacement.

I can't say I've noticed this updraft on my bike. I mostly wear a TourX and with a short MRA screen fitted, it's fine. That screen is 4" shorter than the standard screen which I've recently just refitted to the bike. So now I do get a peak vibe, enough to make me wear my normal Arai. I'm waiting on a Touratech medium screen being delivered which is 2" shorter than the oe screen with a profiled top edge, so it'll be interesting to see how it fares as it's the most expensive screen I've ever bought.

I have the puig tall screen, i dont get wind on my peak of my tour x, i do however get it on my shoulders so im gonna try the MRA touring screen. As far as the updraft, i find their is some wind but nothing bad, i was looking at the updraft blocker but decided it is ok so went for the Baglux tank cover which means you cant use the fork blocker thingy.

Back
Top Bottom