HELP...swing arm service 1200 sport 2V

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having started my light- medium restoration I'm having a problem at the first hurdle.

Noticed the swing arm gaiter was split , so thought that would be a reasonable place to start.

Followed the manual to the letter and checked and triple checked everything, but the swinging arm pivot pin will not come out.

It starts to come OK but then tightens up, and if more pressure is applied, it bags as if jumping back over one set of threads.

I cannot for the life of me see what could be causing it to do this.

Any ideas ?????

Nearside roller bearing was totally corroded onto the swing arm pivot pin making it impossible for the pin to come out as it was jamming against the swing arm shoulder.

IT was a pain of a job. Couldn't get to the pin with the rear shock in place, and couldn't get the rear shock preload adjuster off so it wouldn't come out with the swing arm in place...catch 22.

Fortunately I'm replacing the shock so butchered the old one to enable removal. Managed to just get a 4" angle grinder at the pivot pin and cut out a 2" section.

The bearing was proper stuck on the pin and took a bit of knocking out, but eventually it did and everything else came apart without damage.

Just need to find a new pin now.

I suspect there may be many more CARC models out there with this problem.

Back
Top Bottom