USA Roadtrip - need loads of advice please.

Grizz

EXCITED MEMBER...!!!!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am off to America in three weeks.

I do have a regular Garmin Nüvi 2559LM that seems to have space for a micro SD card. But no idea on how to opperate or set this sort of thing up.

Can I get it twiddled or fiddled by someone so that I can travel from St Louis, Missouri up or down to Texas and back?

Prefer not to buy another satnav.

But if push comes to be shove, I guess it needs to be something I can use on the 1200GS and car.

Thank you for all input in advance.

Easy way first.

You can buy a Garmin card of American maps that will, I think, slot straight into your GPS device. All fully routable etc.

Take great care buying secondhand or hooky ones; they are very often coded to a specific device and will NOT work. There was a recent thread on this just recently.

Slightly harder way, second. Buy an SD card, 8 or 16gb will be more than adequate. Download Open Street maps - they are free - for the area of America you need (lots of threads on how to do that) and away you go.

I bought a card from ebay, took a bit of time reading the feedback but sod it...it was about £15 so got one. Worked perfectly this last April. :beerjug:

I bought a card from ebay, took a bit of time reading the feedback but sod it...it was about £15 so got one. Worked perfectly this last April. :beerjug:

Then you could lend your USA map card to Grizz and all will be better than well.

Hi Grizz, I bought a Garmin sat nav off here & used it for my trip a couple of weeks ago to Bonneville. You're more than welcome to borrow it for the cost of the return postage. It was bought at Walmart this year so has up to date maps. Please PM me with you details if you'd like to loan it. Cheers Simmo

Easy way first.

You can buy a Garmin card of American maps that will, I think, slot straight into your GPS device. All fully routable etc.

Take great care buying secondhand or hooky ones; they are very often coded to a specific device and will NOT work. There was a recent thread on this just recently.

Slightly harder way, second. Buy an SD card, 8 or 16gb will be more than adequate. Download Open Street maps - they are free - for the area of America you need (lots of threads on how to do that) and away you go.

Thank you all for the responses guys.

Just got into my hotel room, been a long and busy day up in Birmingham.

Hi Grizz, I bought a Garmin sat nav off here & used it for my trip a couple of weeks ago to Bonneville. You're more than welcome to borrow it for the cost of the return postage. It was bought at Walmart this year so has up to date maps. Please PM me with you details if you'd like to loan it. Cheers Simmo

Hi Simmo,

That sounds great, thank you.

Happy to accept as its really a once only use, as you know.

I will PM you.

I phone

Have had a couple of trips to USA I phone on 3 unlimited data used google maps as sat nav superb
No extra costs as treated as an at home location
Phone is on £30 month contract
Worked same in N Z and AUS

Thanks guys.

All that downloading, integrating etc is waaaay over my head.

Thank you to Simmo for the loan of the US spec Satnav, picked up yesterday where courier dropped it off.

Will get familiar with it in the next few days.

This will make a huge differenc e

Too late now, but I just used my iPhone and bought Co-Pilot USA for about $10

The maps can be downloaded, so you don't use any data, and you can drag the A-B route to follow your preferred route or add waypoints. It's far easier to use than a Garmin GPS (and I own a 390LM) :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom