Engine performance

GS Bloke

Reaction score
Hi all....
I recently bought a dead Triumph Sprint ST 1050 for £250, I fitted a new (2nd hand) engine and a bunch of other bits and I have to say I love riding it, why do I love it? because the triple engine so effortless, a small squeeze of the throttle and it's pulling away really nicely and like a train, it's instant power.
I have been riding it since I got it back on the road (approx 2 months/1k miles), I jumped back on my S10 yesterday and I have to say the engine is horrid, so lazy at the bottom from standstill, I really have to wind the throttle to get it to do anything, sports mode is better but still not as much fun as the Sprint.

So, as I have no intention of getting rid of my S10 I am starting to think how I can improve this twin, I know there is an option for a ECU update/re map but what I don't know is will this satisfy my needs?
I've read that it removes various restrictions in different gears but I don't think it's restrictions that are causing the problems, it's a lazy twin, can this be sorted with a ECU map?
Rasher?

Maybe the Tiger (with the triple engine) will perform like the Sprint...??

thanks

you are not being fair to the S10, its like comparing apples and oranges, two very different bikes for a very different application. you would have to do a great deal to the S10 to get it up to the performance level of the st1050, pretty much the same as if you wanted the 1050 to do what the s10 could do. the tiger will not perform like the sprint, again apples and oranges.

You need to go orange otherwise you're wasting your time

Agreed but there are mods that can be done that may get it close, namely the ECU re-map.

The restrictions are 1st - 3rd gear only but on the Gen1 quite huge - about 20% power gain at 30-40mph in 3rd which I did really notice as it is where I tend to short shift up through the gears, or the sort of gear / speed combo exiting roundabouts.

Arrow headers really make a big difference, 6BHP with no other mods, once fettled with a custom remap I was probably about 12BHP up on stock which is pretty significant and it ripped right into the redline whereas stock it sort of ran out of puff before getting there, but if your expecting a different type of delivery you may be disappointed, it still retains a lazy feel as there is no sudden change in power.

If you intend to keep the bike I would suggest you go for the Arrow headers and a custom flash / remap like I did, I did try the full Arrow system but found it a bit too loud and the can only adds another 2-3 bhp so I stuck with the stock end can - still louder than stock with the Arrow headers, but certainly not loud.

S10 around the 110bhp mark and a top speed of around 120mph and 260kg wet weight vs the st1050 around the 125 bhp mark and a top speed of 160 and a wet weight of 235kg, on the face of it not massively different but the weight and the way the bike cuts through the air will make a massive difference, the s10 is like a sail compared to being tucked in on the triumph,will you be able to get the s10 close to the st yes of course you can, but at what cost?, and it will always have the disadvantage of being heavier and less streamlined, end of the day its your money to spend.

Hi all....
I recently bought a dead Triumph Sprint ST 1050 for £250, I fitted a new (2nd hand) engine and a bunch of other bits and I have to say I love riding it, why do I love it? because the triple engine so effortless, a small squeeze of the throttle and it's pulling away really nicely and like a train, it's instant power.
I have been riding it since I got it back on the road (approx 2 months/1k miles), I jumped back on my S10 yesterday and I have to say the engine is horrid, so lazy at the bottom from standstill, I really have to wind the throttle to get it to do anything, sports mode is better but still not as much fun as the Sprint.

So, as I have no intention of getting rid of my S10 I am starting to think how I can improve this twin, I know there is an option for a ECU update/re map but what I don't know is will this satisfy my needs?
I've read that it removes various restrictions in different gears but I don't think it's restrictions that are causing the problems, it's a lazy twin, can this be sorted with a ECU map?
Rasher?

Maybe the Tiger (with the triple engine) will perform like the Sprint...??

thanks

I think you are right, its a lazy twin in character and is geared as such to make use of the engines power delivery, the ECU mods will tidy some things up but the core mechanics wont change so I don't think you will get that close to the other bikes you mention,

the holy grail of bikes are machines that can 'do it all', I am struggling to think of any that fit the bill although maybe we are getting closer with switchable mapping, variable valve timing and other toys

Back
Top Bottom