Sena SMH10 to 10s

mw3230

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear the experiences of those who have updated from SMH10 to 10s as I have done. It's early days but I'm dubious about the claimed significant improvement offered by the new over the old in that the range seems no better, the volume is less and the clarity certainly not better

I did the same - I like the 10s but I have also noticed that the volume is lower, which is a bit of a pain. Interestingly I went out with two others at the weekend and you really couldn't hear the difference between the 10 and the 10s - one of us had the S and the other two were with the original units. I upgraded when the 10 went on the blink on a trip in France/Switz - but I think it just got some water in it as since it dried up it has worked fine (doh - a fool and his money are easily parted - yup, that's me...).

I did the same - I like the 10s but I have also noticed that the volume is lower, which is a bit of a pain. Interestingly I went out with two others at the weekend and you really couldn't hear the difference between the 10 and the 10s - one of us had the S and the other two were with the original units. I upgraded when the 10 went on the blink on a trip in France/Switz - but I think it just got some water in it as since it dried up it has worked fine (doh - a fool and his money are easily parted - yup, that's me...).

I'm about to go off for a few days touring sur le continent with a small group all of whom either use the SMH10 or the 10s. That should give the opportunity to see if there are any appreciable differences

AN UPDATE - Based on my experience riding with other 10s, 20s and SMH10 users last week I have to say that the 10s is disappointing.

As an experienced SMH10 user I'm have been used to high quality intercoms, the ability to make and receive calls via my Iphone and the ability to listen to directions and music from my Navigator 5. Experience last week suggests that the 10s has some development work to be done. The sound quality is fine although I cannot say that the distance over which contact can be maintained has been extended as advertised and found that in general the intercom performance was so poor that we began to forget about using it - most frustrating

Main problems -

1. Having paired with another SENA comms was great but then it would drop out for no apparent reason (this occurred even when the riders were in sight of each other and only a few hundred metres apart)
2. Inability to connect to previously paired sets - if comms failed almost impossible to reconnect or contact another rider
3. Set switches off for no reason and without warning. The rider would only realise that the set has switched off after noticing that it had been silent for a period of time. On being switched on again often not possible to contact anyone

I've emailed SENA with these issues and am waiting for their response but at the moment I'd advise anyone against the 10s - it surely needs some firmware update to sort it out. I'm going to return the three sets I bought and change them for the 20s which although more expensive, seems to have been sorted

Back
Top Bottom