'Ow Much!

Deleted account Cooperman

Reaction score
€7.50 a pint :eek: :eek

After a day in the saddle with temperatures touching 40 :firemth:firemth we reached our destination in France and melted into the hotel bar for a beer or 3. The 3 was quickly ruled out when we realised just one was costing €7.50!! Even the local bars were over €6 for a beer :(

What’s going on with the prices in France :nenau

To Metz

Our group of 4 lads on 3 bikes survived the Hull/Rotterdam crossing and headed off towards Spa to catch some of the F1 qualifying. One of our midst had been replacing his pipes to 'improve economy' :augie

IMG_1420_zpsvml1dt2f.jpg

So it did not pay to be behind him or be in the same tunnel if you wanted to keep your sense of hearing :shout :drums :bomb :headphone

At Spa we easily got through the traffic to park near the circuit, but with time limitations and the heat :firemth we decided to just stop for a snack and crack on.

P8270442_zpsnv8og2nc.jpg

Next came the Mosel valley and the obligatory shot of Vianden

P8270443_zpsseyqud4q.jpg

P8270444_zpszautk9mg.jpg

before our stop for the night in Metz. Metz was the scene of the €7.50 pint. A nice spot, especially by the river, but a bit on the large side.

IMG_1411_zpsap8pe8kb.jpg

To Grindelwald and the Eiger

P8300467_zpsai4yldxe.jpg

Enroute the excellent Vosges Route des Cretes and a reminder that autumn is with us.

P8280445_zpsran2xguj.jpg

P8280447_zpslayd0bze.jpg

The reason for Grindelwald was to take the train up inside the Eiger but we hit 2 problems. One the weather turned against us and second the cost the train ticket was £150!

So we had to settle for the Eiger from a distance.

P8290452_zpse58nrj4y.jpg

P8290456_zpsignykgra.jpg

P8300468_zpsuitbklft.jpg

P8300470_zpsly9qrevl.jpg

Instead
:idea we caught a cable car and did some cliff face walking

P8290460_zpsfqjofxyi.jpg

P8290463_zpsnzudeneo.jpg

To descend it was a mixture of triking :clap:clap

IMG_1414_zpsezizrbsb.jpg

and scootering which one of our party got wrong on a corner giving him laundry problems :D

Image%2007-09-2016%20at%2016.04%201_zpsxugjmooq.jpg

A definite recommend in Grindelwald is the Mongolian buffet in Barrys :drool :thumb

The weather forecast was looking wet going south so agreement was reached to turn around and head back northwards following the sun.

Weggis, Lake Lucerne

From Grindelwald we picked off the Grimsel and Furka passes with lunch at Andermatt.

P8300472-Pano_zpspzkd3zzk.jpg

P8300477_zpsp3kfffdq.jpg

IMG_1416_zpswh2qmtrg.jpg

We should have had a pleasant run around the Northside of Lake Lucerne but a missed turn
:( and a long tunnel led us to a ferry crossing which had just gone. Hey ho, we completed a southern lake run through Lucerne itself before an overnight at Weggis.

P8310481_zpsegiocxtl.jpg

P8310488_zpsfegvd3e5.jpg

P8310483_zpsonufsulu.jpg

Bad Wildbad

How bad can a place be? Really bad? Wild bad...

Today was a run up through the Black Forest. We started on the B500 in the south and kept to the east giving nice quiet and flowing roads. It was the best run through the area I have done :clap

Bad Wildbad is a spa town in a valley where old rich folk go, so not the best stop in the world for a group of bikers, albeit we were tempted by the spa hotel based upon this photo.

4957695.jpg

It’s a weird town with a single road by the river which also hosts a tram (Leeds has been trying to get a tram for decades) :augie

P9010494_zpsevjnk0x6.jpg

P9010491_zpsh85r7qvc.jpg

Linford Christie's ancestor ;)

P9010499_zpsvjd4op6r.jpg

Earlier I mentioned one of us had changed his exhaust for a straight through system. He’s been enjoying himself in the Alps tunnels, keeping the noise down in Switzerland, but after a good run through the Black Forest his ears were starting to bleed. Always been an adaptable sort he worked out a DIY solution…

IMG_2474_zpsxfcncmlq.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Nurbergring, Adenau

A quick scoot up the autobahn dropped us into the Ring and the Blaue Ecke (blue corner) hotel. I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel as the rumour was it had gone downhill. Good quality and value – recommended :thumb2

Also to be recommended is the pizza place Pinocchio’s.

IMG_1421_zpszkyorlxy.jpg

Back in Grindelwald we paid the best part of £50 each :eek: for a pizza meal with drinks. Here we had the largest Calzone’s with drinks and struggled to spend £10 each :D

The Ring was in use and so we hired mountain bikes for the 15 mile loop which is a great way to see the action on the circuit, as long as you are OK with a few uphill climbs.

P9020501_zpstov2cgez.jpg

P9020531_zpsus973hqo.jpg

P9020534_zps9j2nkes4.jpg

Needed a faster shutter speed.

P9020568_zps8yjvpsch.jpg

P9020570_zpszembw9cp.jpg

The last leg of the trip was a pleasant route through the Eifels back up to Rotterdam and our ferry back to Hull.

So with a bit of adaptation we got a rain free trip :) apart from the bit we couldn’t change coming back from Hull :(

Nice one , route des cretes , ahhhh lovely memories. Looks like a good trip , some top places to visit. We too found our trip expensive in places. Offset by trips to supermarkets to buy alfresco lunches.
Glad you had some good weather and your photos bring your trip to life. I like the walk around the cliff edge on a metal balcony, must do that one sometime Julie would love that,,,, me well vertigo would play havoc with my fear of heights:D
Thanks for posting Mester Cooperman:beerjug:

We too found our trip expensive in places.

I like the walk around the cliff edge on a metal balcony, must do that one sometime Julie would love that,,,, me well vertigo would play havoc with my fear of heights:D

Germany seemed like normal prices. Switzerland was expected, but not France.

On the cliff walk there is a mini suspension bridge where a bloke thought it funny to jump up and down in the middle :eek: He's not laughing now :augie :green gri

Bloody hell, I've done the Jungfraujoch thing twice , once in the eighties and the second time in the mid nineties and with the visitors card it was about £30 return from Interlaken.

Mind you we were in Switzerland last year for one night and for the hotel and a meal it cost the same as stopping in a similar hotel in Austria or Germany for two nights with meals

France yes expensive fuel too even cross country,apart from one place at start of Vosges , 2 coffees 1 litre water bottle and 2 cakes 5.20euro with typical French Charm, otherwise ow much:D

Superb pictures....

Really enjoyed that - great write up and some great pics.

France was bloody expensive compared to previous years on our family hols this summer.

How much:eek:

Just heard a advert on the radio for Aldi fireworks the Ultimate Finale only £49.99 :blast money to burn literally

Blaue Ecke good quality and value?...they wanted 90 € off me for one night in a single room early September. Looks nice but 90 €:eek:

Our booking was a bit strange. Booking.com was saying low availability so we ended up booking a 'romantic' double and 2 singles for 2 nights for €440, so say €75 per room (no breakfast). The single rooms turned out to be twins with as much room as other rooms we had used as twins elsewhere on the trip.

Back
Top Bottom