Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport 2V

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Welcome to the light medium restoration of my 2008 Guzzi 1200 sport 2V
The bike has 24000mls and has been serviced on the button every year, but sadly has spent it's life living outside, and by the previous owners admission has rarely been cleaned.
It's not in bad condition but many of the fastenings are showing signs of neglect, the main engine block is rough in places, rear shock is in poor condition, although does not appear to be leaking.Front forks need painting as do the wheels. Swinging arm gaiter is split in several places, and it generally needs a deep clean and some TLC.

Plan is...Upgrade the front fork springs and rear shock with Hyperpro items.

Clean and repaint parts of the engine....main block...alternator cover...sump.

Check and clean or replace all bearings.

Replace swing arm gaiter

Replace exhaust for hand built high level item.

Repaint wheels and front forks black...satin or gloss, not decided yet

Replace fastenings for stainless items where possible.

Repaint the bike in Italian flag colours (red white green ) not decided on the scheme yet, but possibly similar to the sport corsa

sceme.

IMG][/IMG]

DSC01617_zpsyskthuck.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC01619_zpssdca4vuy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Already a lot of bits come off

DSC01622_zps47by00lp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Split gaiter.. thought this would be as good a place to start as any. Started to remove the swing arm which has to be done to replace the gaiter... Turned out to be a b*****d of a job as the near side roller bearing was seized solid to the swing arm pin which prevented it from being removed. I couldn't get at the pin with the rear shock in place which in turn wouldn't come out with the swing arm in place. eventually managed to gut it all out with a small grinder. When I say the pin was seized, it was solid.

DSC01624_zpspbrja7rj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nasty and unsightly dent in the oil cooler, but it works OK. I'll have to see how the budget goes before I decide to replace it, paint it, or get some sort of cover.

DSC01626_zpsrnqhf2gw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Some attention needed to clean the main block up..luckily it's a fairly rough cast and I've had a little experiment with cleaning a bit and hand painting...looks good. Fortunately the paint on the gear box and swing arm need no attention.

DSC01625_zpsdebndqcy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Engine cleaned and degreased. Dremmel out next. I'll be removing the alternator housing and sump to paint them. Might do them black along with the rocker covers.

DSC01662_zpsbf068g4y.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Remains of the swing arm bolt. had to order a new one which will come from Italy. It will be here in 5 days...yeah right.
DSC01664_zpsr1fcxqcj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC01670_zpsvn8lkdtx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC01673_zpslvacaxkc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC01676_zpsvsveknuz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC01675_zpssdr2j6s7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Although there are tons of little bits and pieces that need doing, much of the bike, such as the frame, are in great condition.

I made a wooden trolly on castors for the bike to stand on whilst it's without wheels (this could be some considerable time) very easy to push around the workshop. My initial budget of 1500 pounds which was increased to 2k is already looking doubtful.

Wish me luck....It's my first attempt at renovation since my "Padget YDS 3" back in..oh when was it, 1973 ?

DSC01661_zpsojebbfvz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yep, following with interest too. These type of posts are the best IMO, love seeing other people's handy work and restos .......

:popcorn

Engine all painted...Silver, block and barrels...satin black, rocker covers, sump, alternator cover. waiting on the alternator cover gasket to get it all back together.

Hyperpro rear shock and front springs ordered... 5 weeks !

Wheels and front forks gone for paint... gloss black. (Took around 3hrs to get the rear disc off. Some minor damage but hopefully reusable)

Should I paint the swing arm and final drive satin black whilst they're off ??

Pics as soon as the wheels and forks come back.

Not cheap this restoration lark is it :eek: good though :thumb2

Few more pics. Sorry they're in the wrong order, but sure you'll get the jist.

DSC01770_zpsbhr8b2gi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
New oil cooler and pipes around £370 so straightened the original and repainted, cleaned up the pipes best I could.

DSC01771_zps7eumzrzu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
rear wheel with a fresh a fresh coat of gloss black. much nicer than the original mucky blue colour.

DSC01776_zpssamegyv1.jpg
[/URL][/IM
had the head covers powder coated, painted sump and alternator cover.

DSC01775_zpsozvpm3sr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC01772_zps2d1euhsj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Front wheel all cleaned up. Painted gloss black, new disc bolts.

DSC01773_zpsuig9rkux.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Fork lowers painted gloss black, original and hyperpro springs stood next to them. No, I haven't painted the sliders
they're black chrome (original)

DSC01766_zpsqya2mykn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC01769_zpszlqdavt7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just a little reminder.

DSC01760_zps2yscvqkc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC01763_zpshoza25bn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back end all rebuild.

DSC01761_zpsi1fmkgid.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back end all ready to go back together. Which was the catalyst for all this work in the first place.

DSC01764_zpsru0kziur.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC01765_zps0wff7mgv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Front brake callipers, cleaned up really well. Just cleaned and all bolts replaced.

DSC01762_zpst9kaanjv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sorry it's all a bit scrambled, but I'm a bit of a techno numpty and have to rely on Joanne to put the pics up for me.

Few more jobs to do, just on with repainting the brake and clutch reservoirs and the mirror stems ( still considering bar end mirrors)

All panels have gone off for paint. I finally settled on a variation of the Gulf sport colour scheme.

Had a lucky escape when I'd gone back into the workshop after a couple of days. I'd removed the axle stands and the bike was sat on a lift that I have and jacked up on the sump. Front forks and wheel back in but not the rear wheel. The lift had slowly lowered under the weight of the bike to the point where it was not supporting the bike at all. I had a piece of wood under the back end. Fortunately I has just put the side stand back on and it was in the down position and had stopped the bike from completely tipping on it's side. Lesson learned. Sorry forgot to take a pick in my panic to get it all straightened up.

I'm loving doing this...it's not going to be my last.

Looking very nice. Had a similar issue with my RT but used an old tow rope over a garage roof beam and attached to the bar ends. Not much use if the forks and bars are not on the bike though!

Looking good.:thumb2
I had a 1200 Norge with the same 2 valve engine. Pleanty of grunt and the most planted bike I've ridden when pushing it on long straights and motorways.
Didn't give me a spot of bother, very durable and some say it's better built than the replacement 8 valver.
It's one of the few bikes I've missed and would have another when room allows.
I like the colour scheme your doing as well.

Looking good.:thumb2
I had a 1200 Norge with the same 2 valve engine. Pleanty of grunt and the most planted bike I've ridden when pushing it on long straights and motorways.
Didn't give me a spot of bother, very durable and some say it's better built than the replacement 8 valver.
It's one of the few bikes I've missed and would have another when room allows.
I like the colour scheme your doing as well.

I believe some of the early 8 valve bikes had problems with the cam followers which where later replaced with a roller version.

I had a new 2014 Stelvio, which I really really liked, but it just lacked a bit of top end grunt when fully loaded with camping gear. I swapped it for a 2015 Explorer, which is a great bike but I missed the Stelvio, in particular that lovely motor, so decided to get a sport which would compliment the Explorer. After riding it for a couple of months decided I liked it enough to chuck a few quid at it, so here we are.

I really Like what your doing, you show great attention to detail. I owned a MG Stelvio in the past and really liked it so ave. bit of an affinity for Moto Guzzis..................more please!

For some unknown reason as I've got older I've found myself wanting an old Guzzi California but I know I'm not gay so I can't understand it :nenau

I've never owned a Guzzi and I really should have one at some point and while I'd always thought I'd buy a MKI Le Mans one day I know I've missed that boat because the riding position would kill me after 50 miles.

The sport, which really isn't sporty in anyway, is only my second Guzzi. Shortly after swapping my Stelvio for an Explorer I knew it wouldn't be long before I had another Guzzi, albeit as a second bike.

They really do have a way of getting under your skin. Ride them on the torque and they are very rewarding to ride and can cover ground fairly quickly, try and push them and they can become a little unforgiving, well maybe not unforgiving, but not at their best.

Levers were very rough. Stripped of lacquer and polished. come up very nice.

Mirror stems. brake and clutch reservoirs stripped and repainted.

thumb

Almost back to a rolling chassis

thumb

thumb

Final colour scheme decided. Should all be done by mid Jan.

thumb

Hi Mr 'Owlie,
Great resto! What paint did you use for the mirror stems & reservoirs?

Back
Top Bottom