First trip with the missus. Blackpool to Florence, the wiggly way.

Albino_batman

Reaction score
So, as I posted in here a couple of weeks ago that I was goi to do this trip and lots of people advised me against it, this is the first post in the "log". Blackpool to Dover so far today. Missus had a hangover as we were at a wedding all day until late last night. Set off at 11.30 this morning. Couple of 15 mum stops on way down and now the ferry to Dunkirk. Booked hotel in Ypres this evening. 330 miles in UK so far. Not too many more to go.

Have a fab trip! Enjoy :thumb Did a trip with my missus last bank holiday weekend and she took the 300 mile days very well.

Not sure why people advised you against it :nenau ... you ride and have fun.

What made the ride fun for us was that we had the comms device always on so could chat to each other without any trouble.

Enjoy the ride and do report back to us.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is true. I bought a pair of Sena 20s and a nav5 office a bloke on here. Brilliant as I listen to music whilst riding now coz I stuck a load of stuff on an SD card. Never listened to music on the r1 am motorways were always dull. The run down south was a lot better with music on. And the voice coms were great too. I could waffle on about inane facts all the way down. We will be in Dunkirk by 10pm, then a quick blast to Ypres should only be 45 mins or so.
Booked hotel tonight but gonna try for an airB&B tomorrow. Not decided where yet. I think about 300 miles south. I'd rather have more tine in the Alps and Italy and the French Riviera than northern Belgium!

Enjoy the trip....although I'd have done Hull Zeebrugge crossing and saved the mileage for better roads!

The crossing was 39 quid. The hull one was over 200. The weather was good so it was not a bad run. Got flashed by a speed camera almost as soon as I got into Belgium. It was on a little road I the middle of nowhere. Hope they don't chase it up. Last time I was in Europe I got flashed loads and nothing came of it.
Got to hotel right in the market square in Ypres and locked my bike up, right next to 3 mod scooters with Northampton vespa club badges and UK plates!
Sleep now and adventure tomorrow.

The crossing was 39 quid. The hull one was over 200. The weather was good so it was not a bad run. Got flashed by a speed camera almost as soon as I got into Belgium. It was on a little road I the middle of nowhere. Hope they don't chase it up. Last time I was in Europe I got flashed loads and nothing came of it.
Got to hotel right in the market square in Ypres and locked my bike up, right next to 3 mod scooters with Northampton vespa club badges and UK plates!
Sleep now and adventure tomorrow.

You'll be fine with speed cameras :)

We've just got back from a trip with my son on his 125 to Ypres - there were loads of scooters there too, and on the ferry back!

More please mister.....

OK. Forgot to update for a few days. So busy.
Left Ypres after a lovely morning In the town. Headed down the motorway as I'm not that bothered about Belgium. Had a couple of stops off including an hour going round the tiny farm hamlets looking for a micro brewery. Ended up having lunch in a town I had never heard of in a really cool bar that was dark and covered with engine parts and American style enamel signs. The blue who was there has a classic BMW flat twin cafe racer! It was 32 degrees and we had to stop for beer! From there we carried on to Luxembourg and had some food and a walk around the city. There is a lovely viaduct right across the middle of the city. Found a happy hour bar that was rock themed. My sort of place. After about 2.5 hours we embarked on out third stint of the day, this time to a air B&B in saarbruken Germany. On the way I discovered the joys of the autobahn. Oh yes!

When we got to saarburken it was about 10pm and we pulled up outside a block of flats covered in graffiti. Actually wondered if we had shot the wrong place. As it happened I was correct and it was a family with a spare room. At fits we were a bit shocked but it was out first air B&B so we gave it a go. Walked into town and ate a brilliant currywurst and a bottle of beer that was 750m and 11% vol. It actually was nice but felt like I'd drank a bottle of wine solo. Decided to call it a night. Got back and my bike had not been stolen or grafitid on. Winner.

Day 3. Left saarbruken and decide to hit an hour of autobahn. The bike surprised me. Two up with full luggage (packed to bursting point) with the scree up and my 6'5" self up from she easily did 127mph on the nav5 and had plenty left in her. I had to back off as I heard a noise over the Sena intercom that sounded like my Mrs saying her head was being pulled off. Not to self: dual sport helmets are best as sub-sonic speeds.
Left the autobahn and headed into black forest. What a beautiful place. Loads of windy roads. Stopped several times for photos. Found an aldi, bought lots of bread and cheese and sausages (wurst) and pulled off a few miles up the hill into a gravel track. Lead into some woods and found a farmers hit with a fire pit and some seating. Sat eating our lunch and admired the amazing scenery for a while. Wish I could post some photos from my mobile!
Once through the black forest we pulled up by a lake on the border of Switzerland. Decided to call it a day and watch the sun go down over the lake. Stunning. Checked into a ibis budget hotel, showered and went out for tea. The town was called Konstanz and we'll with a visit. Another 300+ mile day. No problems so far.

Day 4 saw the Alps. Crossed the border into Switzerland early doors. (Anyone want to buy a lightly used Swiss vignette?) The scenery changed dramatically. Headed for the stelvio pass via some amazing roads and a couple of passes, that although not as technical a ride as the stelvio, are far more scenic.
Stopped for lunch at the town of stelvio. Headed into Italy. Did the pass. Great fun. So much better than when I drove it.
Got on The road to lecco and it pissed it down. Had been so lucky with weather up until this point.
Lecco was OK although I was tired. Booked in a lovely air B&B again. Thought about cooking but I was tired so went for meal in the main piazza. Stopped at a bar and ordered a beer. They brought me a pint of Tennant's super T. I was disgusted. I'm not a tramp from Glasgow.
Great day had.

Today... PISSED IT DOWN! I recently washed my alpinestars Andes suit in nikwax. I'm glad I did. It rained so heavily I thought I might actually dissolve today. Great thing is, I was bone dry in my suit. That's a bonus. There was 3" standing water, thunder, lightning and 0 visibility in northern Italy this morning. You d the only thing I could do was switch to "rain mode" get in the outside lane at 85mph to avoid all the wagon spray and hope for the best! Even her on the back did not complain (thanks to her mate Frank Thomas) and 100 miles later we were sat by Lake Garda sipping espresso. Beautiful place. Nice shops too. Missus saw a nice frock in a window. Went in tried two on. Left with two as I thought I'd treat her for being such a good pillion! Got back on the road and decided not to stop against we wanted to get to Florence ahead of time. As we have done so well this trip (screw you, doubters!) We decided to stop for 2 night in Florence.
Wow. Riding through damp uneven Stine roads in the crazy old city of Florence on a big ass GS two up with full luggage! Try if you dare!
Anyways, in an amazing b&b called "strange uncle" cheap and friendly and really cool.

Mrs has been in bathroom making herself look beautiful after 250 miles of flat out in the torrential rain. Wow,she scrubs ups wish I could post a photo.

Going to get pissed now. Hope my bike does not get stolen!

Laters folks!

Please can someone tell me how to post pics from my phone on here. I have some blinders!

Oooooh. No bike today (I have not even checked it's still where I left it, I hope so) the whole week was just a build upntobthis. Florence is amazing. We are considering sacking the rest of the trip off and staying here. I could put her on a flight home on Monday and just riding solo the thousand or so miles home. I could maybe do it in one long run? Actually went to a few jewelers today and I was going to buy a diamond. Looked for a carat but too bloody expensive here. You can buy a decent diamond solitaire for 4-5 grand at home. Went to jewelers here they wanted 22000 euros for a carat diamond ring. That's too bloody much. I'd hav loved to ask here here. It's such an amazing place. Not 22k amazing though. Oh, anyone want to buy an R1?

Well done mate enjoy. You're other half is made of stern stuff not to moan about the rain.
I hopethe weather picks up for you.

Hung over today. Thinking of just going an hour or two towards the French border via the coast this evening as I don't actually want to start my ride back today! Going to soak up a bit more of the Florence atmosphere first. Only 1278 miles from home. Should be a nice easy run!

So, we mad it to Genoa on the coast road, after leaving Florence around 3.30pm Saturday. Stopped of at a beautiful little bar right on the beach and ended up spending a couple of hours. Perfect watching the waves and the storms and lightning out over the med. Carried on up the coast road to Genoa. Stopped in a little B&B by the marina but ended up just staying in the room. nice to have a relax

Sunday saw us leave the coast and head into the French Alps! Rode up the various tunnels and picturesque passes in the Italian Alps heading towards Mont Blanc. When we crossed the border we were greeted by more tolls off the bloody French. This time 36 euros to go through the Mont blanc tunnel. It had a sign saying minimum 50kph Max 70kph so set my cruise control to 40mph which I figured was about right and set off. Got flashed twice in the tunnel but the cameras were facing me. Random as I'm pretty sure I was going in between the speed limits. Nobody stopped me on the way out though so they can kiss my ass.
Had to stop in chaminix for a coffee and to zip the liners into our jackets as it was now 10 degrees. A fair bit cooler than the 34 degrees several days ago! We found an air B&B in morzine that was an entire apartment for 20 quid. Brilliant. Everywhere was shut as we git there about 4pm Sunday so we ended up going for a meal instead of our intended staying in. It was not cheap but we had a full on bucket of fondue. WOW. A cheese lovers dream. Never had anything so rich! The creme brule we had for desert was amazing.

Set off this morning with the jntention of making the ferry. We left about 10.30 am after a bit of a lie in. Just covered 150 miles and stopped for a fuel and snack stop. Setting the cruise control as the french are bastards with speed limits. Only another 400 miles to Dunkirk. My poor missus' arse!

Set off this morning with the jntention of making the ferry. We left about 10.30 am after a bit of a lie in. Just covered 150 miles and stopped for a fuel and snack stop. Setting the cruise control as the french are bastards with speed limits. Only another 400 miles to Dunkirk. My poor missus' arse!
We may need to see a photo of that, just to confirm your suspicions that she is actually in pain!

I'll get my coat.....

Sent from a OnePlusX

Back
Top Bottom