Keswick recomend me your roads not to be missed

ZED 1000

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
we have a week booked in Keswick shortly, looking for a bit of local knowledge, weather permitting we will be out on the bike 3 or 4 days looking for routes in the area with big views good biking roads nice lunch stops we usually ride for 2 or 3 hours mornings and same on the return afternoon ride.
Your help would be appreciated thanks

Short - The road down the west side of Derwentwater, then turn right and go over Honister, up to Buttermere, over Whinlatter and back to Keswick.

Very Short - The road to Watendlath is awesome. It's a dead end but there's Ashness Bridge and Surprise View to see.

Long - Head east to Pooley Bridge, go down the side of Ullswater and over Kirkstone Pass, down The Struggle to Ambleside, over to the Langdales, over Fell Foot, turn right and go over Wrynose Pass (and through Wrynose Bottoms, phnar), over Hardnott Pass. Take a look at L'al Ratty miniature railway then head west, turn left at Eskdale Green and head up over Ulpha Fell. From there, I'd head up the coast and make your way back to Keswick. This one's a full day...

Head east to Penrith and go up to Hartside, on to Alston, head to Middleston in Teesdale and Barnard Castle then come west to Hawes. Go to Thwaite through Buttertubs Pass and head west again to Kirkby Stephen. From here you can pick a route back to the A66 and its an easy dash back to Keswick for beer and dinner.

Short - The road down the west side of Derwentwater, then turn right and go over Honister, up to Buttermere, over Whinlatter and back to Keswick.

Very Short - The road to Watendlath is awesome. It's a dead end but there's Ashness Bridge and Surprise View to see.

Long - Head east to Pooley Bridge, go down the side of Ullswater and over Kirkstone Pass, down The Struggle to Ambleside, over to the Langdales, over Fell Foot, turn right and go over Wrynose Pass (and through Wrynose Bottoms, phnar), over Hardnott Pass. Take a look at L'al Ratty miniature railway then head west, turn left at Eskdale Green and head up over Ulpha Fell. From there, I'd head up the coast and make your way back to Keswick. This one's a full day...

Head east to Penrith and go up to Hartside, on to Alston, head to Middleston in Teesdale and Barnard Castle then come west to Hawes. Go to Thwaite through Buttertubs Pass and head west again to Kirkby Stephen. From here you can pick a route back to the A66 and its an easy dash back to Keswick for beer and dinner.

Thank you Paul this is just the sort of information I need.
Further contributions welcome

Thank you Paul this is just the sort of information I need.
Further contributions welcome

Can't argue with Paul's suggestions :thumby:

Just to add that Corney Fell (time it so you don't meet Sellafield commuters!) and Birker Fell are worth it as well. My playground as I can be there in about 15 mins :friday

Any of the moorland routes south of Eskdale are good, and even on hot sunny bank holidays you will hardly see anyone up there.

On the other side of the coin, I was heading up Wednesday afternoon to meet up with a (retired) tosser in Keswick. I thought it's term time and midweek so I'll go Newby Bridge, Windermere, Rydal rather than my usual Greenodd, Coniston, Rydal. WRONG CALL, traffic and roadworks were/are horrendous daytime, it took me about an hour to get 30 miles!

Coming back around 9pm it was fine, about an hour to cover 50 miles.

Have fun :beerjug:

ps Beware the three T's................
Tractors, Tourists and Tankers, all of whom have a tendency to stop in the middle of the road just around blind bends.......

Can't argue with Paul's suggestions :thumby:

Just to add that Corney Fell (time it so you don't meet Sellafield commuters!) and Birker Fell are worth it as well. My playground as I can be there in about 15 mins :friday

Any of the moorland routes south of Eskdale are good, and even on hot sunny bank holidays you will hardly see anyone up there.

On the other side of the coin, I was heading up Wednesday afternoon to meet up with a (retired) tosser in Keswick. I thought it's term time and midweek so I'll go Newby Bridge, Windermere, Rydal rather than my usual Greenodd, Coniston, Rydal. WRONG CALL, traffic and roadworks were/are horrendous daytime, it took me about an hour to get 30 miles!

Coming back around 9pm it was fine, about an hour to cover 50 miles.

Have fun :beerjug:

ps Beware the three T's................
Tractors, Tourists and Tankers, all of whom have a tendency to stop in the middle of the road just around blind bends.......

Thanks Spike I will add them to my list

Back
Top Bottom