Help needed with importing routes basecamp/zumo 390

I used to be a lover of MotoGoLoco, until I realised it will only plot the waypoints and not the intended route (unless you plot a bazillion waypoints).

This was my finding on a Nav V.

I used to be a lover of MotoGoLoco, until I realised it will only plot the waypoints and not the intended route (unless you plot a bazillion waypoints).

This was my finding on a Nav V.

I think you will find that plotting points (I prefer via points to waypoints in most cases) is what all these systems do. You tell it where you want to start and end, put in a few points to take you on your preferred roads, and the software joins them up. Same happens when you transfer a route. The trick is to place via points so that the device follows your intention. Place via points just after a junction so that the device takes the correct turn is the best tip I think. On a longer route I will get the software (Mapsource in my case) to recalculate the route before I download it. This can sometimes highlight where an extra via point is needed.

I only use waypoints for places I must go to. So for instance on a tour any pre booked hotels are always waypoints as are a few "must see" places. This also has the advantage that such waypoints are then automatically stored in Favourites and so can be easily found on the device. This can be useful in that if I decide I need to cut out sections of my intended route because the projected arrival time is now too far past beer O'clock I can stop the route and ask the device to get me there by the fastest route.

John

I now, after my lesson the other day, prefer to use route shaping. It's so much easier and quicker when intending to use on a Nav V.

Obviously, if I'm going to share a route to a multitude of devices, then I'll add more waypoints.

I've worked out over the past 9 years of using Garmin products that waypoints are waypoints and route shaping can be read differently (or not read at all) by different devices. This (I agree) is a lot to do with preferences in the map creating software AND on the device.

I now, after my lesson the other day, prefer to use route shaping. It's so much easier and quicker when intending to use on a Nav V.

Obviously, if I'm going to share a route to a multitude of devices, then I'll add more waypoints.

I've worked out over the past 9 years of using Garmin products that waypoints are waypoints and route shaping can be read differently (or not read at all) by different devices. This (I agree) is a lot to do with preferences in the map creating software AND on the device.

Adding more waypoints might not help. It is important to understand that the device will see a waypoint as somewhere it must take you. If you continue along the route without actually visiting the waypoint it will try to get you to go back until you do actually go there. So if said waypoint is a cafe just off the road and you decide not to stop for coffee the device will insist until you tell it otherwise (skip function) If the cafe were a via point the device would simply ignore it, as you had, and continue on towards the next via point on the route. If you are sharing routes you might need more via points to reduce the risk of different devices taking different roads. I would only use waypoints for those places you are sure you want to go. Often the only sure thing is your destination, maybe a hotel for the night or just a town if you prefer not to pre book.

Assuming you actually know the people you are sharing routes with I think asking everyone to have the same settings works best. If that is not possible you could try testing your route before you share it by changing the settings on Basecamp or Mapsource. If these changes result in a different route when you get it to recalculate you need more via points to correct this. This can take time and personally I feel that if I go to the trouble to make and share routes for others then it is not asking much for those people to make life easier by using the same settings as I intended. If they can't do that simple thing then maybe they should have made up the route themselves in the first place.

John

PS I use the term via points as that's what Mapsource calls them and I use Mapsource because it is easier and does everything I need. I think Basecamp also uses that term.

We have a simple rule when riding by satnav.

Leader takes precedence.

As long as everyone has the destination then all is well as we tend to do Top Gear rules when on holiday. As long as they have a mobile signal then we just bugger off. lol. Everyone has breakdown cover so it's up to them to sort themselves out. It adds to the adventure.

ps. I use the term Waypoints because that's what my MapSource and BaseCamp calls them. ;)

We have a simple rule when riding by satnav.

Leader takes precedence.

As long as everyone has the destination then all is well as we tend to do Top Gear rules when on holiday. As long as they have a mobile signal then we just bugger off. lol. Everyone has breakdown cover so it's up to them to sort themselves out. It adds to the adventure.

ps. I use the term Waypoints because that's what my MapSource and BaseCamp calls them. ;)

My PS was put in because you refer to route shaping and I referred to via points. I wanted to make sure there was no confusion. This was partly because your previous post gave the impression you might not know the difference between waypoints and via (or shaping) points. It's always difficult trying to pass on knowledge without knowing just where the other party is. I do tend to assume less rather than more knowledge and therefore maybe I explain things people already know. I still think this is better than going the other way and assuming something that might not be there. no offence was intended.

Most sensible people who ride in groups do as you suggest. The leader sets the route but there is little point in worrying about routing differences in that case. I often lead groups, my approach is to give others a route if they wish but ask them to follow me if I deviate from that route. I do try to ensure that everyone has destination details. Easiest way is by downloading a file with each destination as a Waypoint (not a via). That way they go into the units "Favourites" and can then easily be called up if required. You probably know that such entries are displayed in order of distance from a current location and if they are numbered for each day are very easy to find.

On occasions when I have had people who are unfamiliar with their device I have found the next hotel for them and set the device to take them there. I can then tell them to just follow but if they do get separated they already have a working route to the hotel in front of them. Of course the same result could be had by following the designated route but the nature of events that cause people to get lost often means that a direct route to the hotel is the better option.

John

Indeed, having the leader taking precedence is a great plan, assuming everyone wants to ride together. The marker 'drop off' system works well, too. Though it does sometimes help if everyone in the ragtag army advancing behind the tureen fuhrer is running along the same magenta line, if only to stop the seemingly endless bleats of "But my directions were to leave the main road and take a goat track, when we left the hotel".

If on the other hand the party all want to do their own thing all day, it doesn't much matter where they go or when, in their rugged indepependence. That still might not stop some of them bleating that their day has been ruined as the route they were handed (as they demanded one) refused to run exactly as they had imagined it might.

Even those travelling all the time on their own should at least to understand their device's operation if they are to get the best out of it; or 10:1 says they'll be bleating here that Garmin and all its works is crap and that they should have bought a TomTom, which rather begs the question as to why they didn't.

To clarify something, if it's not already been mentioned - when you think you're transferring a route from basecamp to zumo you are actually only transferring the waypoints. The route calculation is then done on the zumo.
If therefore the settings and avoidances are not the same on computer and zumo then the route calculation may not be the same.

So... either add more waypoints, as noted above... But this can be tedious and annoying, or as I was advised always convert routes to a track on the computer then send the track to the zumo. A track has many automatically added waypoints (the quantity can be adjusted in settings), so the fine detail of the route / track you've designed on basecamp will accurately be transferred to the zumo.

Then you can convert the track to a route on the zumo which will only have a start and finish waypoint but faithfully follows the track you've designed... Any desired waypoints can be added as required or design shorter tracks in basecamp that finish at your desired stops.

Hope this helps

Rob

On my Zumo routes are saved as routes & waypoints are saved as favourites. My device does not recalculate unless I allow it. There would be no reason to use BaseCamp to plot a route if the device chose the route for you.

On my Zumo routes are saved as routes & waypoints are saved as favourites. My device does not recalculate unless I allow it. There would be no reason to use BaseCamp to plot a route if the device chose the route for you.

I think you will find that the device does chose the route, but only between the via points or way points you have put in. Its the same with tracks but because tracks have multiple points the device has little option but to follow them. That is why you put those points in, to ensure the route is followed. If that were not so then a route generated in Basecamp would transfer intact to your device without any via or waypoints being inserted. This clearly does not happen, we all know we need to put these points in to force the device to stick to our chosen route.

Waypoints do, indeed, go into favourites which is why I always have my destination and any must do stops as waypoints rather than via points. If something goes wrong with the route I have the waypoints as backup. I can also use the waypoint when I'm running late on my pre planned scenic route and just need to get to my destination or meeting point.

John

If my device asks to recalculate & I say no my routes keep identical to BaseCamp so no recalculation was carried out even though it only sees my via & waypoints.

If my device asks to recalculate & I say no my routes keep identical to BaseCamp so no recalculation was carried out even though it only sees my via & waypoints.

But it still only has those via or waypoints to work with. That is what gets transferred to your device. The only way it could transfer the complete route would be if it has huge numbers of points all along the route. I know Mapsource shows hundreds of numbers along a planned route but I don't think they are sent as part of a .gpx file. Tracks do have lots of points which is why people find that using a track means the device follows their planned roads.

John

Back
Top Bottom