Moto Guzzi Spada Opinions please.

k80matey

I'm too poor to buy rubbish.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Been to see one today, 1980. It's been under a cover for about three years and was running when put away. I know the seller so that'll be right enough. No pics I'm afraid and I forgot to look at the mileage:blast
It's all there, no bits missing as far as I can see. Engine, wheels and forks have the usual alu rust. Will need a battery and tyres of course as well as recommissioning. Frame has been powder coated and looks OK. Silencers are stainless. Braided hoses and quite a lot of stainless fasteners on it.
All of the tinware and the fairing will have to be repainted. Handlebars, crash bars and carrier chrome is probably too far gone. New seat fitted.
I can have it for £1,000.
What do the knowledgable think, yes or no?

Old Guzzis are still at the affordable classic stage at the momment, and the Spada isn't really that desirable (although I actually quite like them). Price sounds good provided recommissioning doesn't throw up any nasties so it's doubtful you'd lose out. I was considering a big Guzzi when I bought my Harley a few years ago.....I wanted a T3 but Spadas were much cheaper.
I'd take a punt if it were me, though doubt I would keep the fairing on it.

Old Guzzis are still at the affordable classic stage at the momment, and the Spada isn't really that desirable (although I actually quite like them). Price sounds good provided recommissioning doesn't throw up any nasties so it's doubtful you'd lose out. I was considering a big Guzzi when I bought my Harley a few years ago.....I wanted a T3 but Spadas were much cheaper.
I'd take a punt if it were me, though doubt I would keep the fairing on it.

I was thinking that myself. Save quite a few bob on the paint too. For the money, it's a no brainer, it's just the cost of making it presentable (to me.) Nothing against rat bikes, depending on the model, but not this one. It's like a neglected dog to me, needs looking after. Another couple of drams and it'll be coming home! Think I'd better have 'a nice cup of tea' instead.
Mind, I do have three tubes of Solvol doing nothing!

Funnily enough I'm in a virtually identical situation over an old Guzzi and have been deliberating over it for a while. Describing it as a neglected dog that needs looking after is just how I feel.

I've decided to go for it.........I think you should too :)

Andres

Funnily enough I'm in a virtually identical situation over an old Guzzi and have been deliberating over it for a while. Describing it as a neglected dog that needs looking after is just how I feel.

I've decided to go for it.........I think you should too :)

Andres

What kind of dog are you bringing home, apart from being a financial disaster, I mean?

Spokes? Borani rims? = £6-700 alone

Guzzis of that vintage all have interchangeable parts and readily available. If you have the space, buy it and park it in your garage. Bet it fares better than an ISA.
:aidan

What kind of dog are you bringing home, apart from being a financial disaster, I mean?

An old T3 Cali.

Funny timing though as I only just bought a pristine one a couple of weeks ago :rolleyes:

It's a long story but like you I know the seller and the bike and I have history (from 30 odd years ago) so the heart and not the head is guiding me.............. ;)

Andres

An old T3 Cali.

Funny timing though as I only just bought a pristine one a couple of weeks ago :rolleyes:

It's a long story but like you I know the seller and the bike and I have history (from 30 odd years ago) so the heart and not the head is guiding me.............. ;)

Andres

This obsession with collecting Guzzi's is getting in the way of a Husky purchase :rob

Guzzis have a lot of class. Whether old or new, they're always a "look twice" motorcycle.

Not quite so keen on the current factory offerings. MG's marketing went a bit askew after they stopped producing the Breva 1200 and Moto Guzzi Sport 1200.

But maybe the new 2016 bikes will be classics one day in the future....who knows. The Flying Fortress thing is rather "un-Italian" but Piaggio call the shots these days.

You wont get a new seat for it. Lots of people looking for them and nothing from the manufacturers available at the minute.

Stein Dinse is your friend and will be taking a huge amount of cash off you - very handy for microfiches as well http://www.stein-dinse.biz/index.php?language=en

It sounds fine for a grand though.

I did a similar thing recently and bought a rough Spada to change into a T3 Cali replica.

The standard spada has a very strange riding position and doesn't suit many people. The pegs are ridiculously high and cramp your knees within a few minutes. The bars are very low in comparison so you end up scrunched up and very uncomfortable. Strangely they fit most Italians perfectly so theres some weird genetic thing going on there.

Mines currently languishing in disgrace at the back of the garage with an ominous rattle from the engine when it gets hot.

If you do find a pair of Borrani rim wheels then make sure the disk carriers are with them. The disk carriers an their own are currently unavailable.

When running well they're just wonderful bikes, small, and perfectly formed.

Way more characterful, torquey and engaging than any Airhead engine...

In top, they will lope along, and cover ground seemingly without effort.

The three piece fairing works brilliantly, and the instruments are good too.

It's almost the perfect RS and RT mix, and of course the top half moves with the 'bars!

Good fuel economy, good brakes (I love the linked system), easily attached panniers etc.

So... why did I sell mine..?

Well, if you have short legs, long arms, and are well under 6ft, it *should* fit you.

But it didn't fit me:blast

Attachments

• 22354076025_87a8d7e22e_k.jpg
    22354076025_87a8d7e22e_k.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 688
I had a V reg. 1979 Spada (Royale) which I bought in 1986. It was the most comfortable bike I've ever owned. We did about 25k miles on it all over Europe, many 500 mile plus days no problem. Paid 400 quid because silencers were rotted, fitted some Armour stainless ones. Came with brand new panniers. Great bike wish I still had it.

PS. Don't know about the vibey bit, mine was dead smooth at 70/80 mph.

Sorry about th dodgy photo, probably because I'd already bought a new bike (whch was also a good bike)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 551
Update

Well, decided not to go for it as it would be too much work.

Bought a lovely little Nuevo Falcone instead. Imported in 2002 with 16,000 Km.

Then :jager bought the Spada as well!

Winter has come early this year, very, very cold in my house.:eek:

Top man!

It's always easier to be forgiven than get permission. And after all they are both appreciating classics :green gri

Back
Top Bottom