Spark plugs - alternatives

Howard J

Who?
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I want to change the plugs on my 03 twin spark today, I could run down to the BMW dealer but they charge a fortune, does anyone know of alternatives for the twin spark and where I could pick some up today? Ta!:D

Why are you buying your plugs from BMW?

They don't make them!

Bosch YR6LDE
NGK BKR7EKC

Will be available from any motor factors.

Prices may vary.

:D

NGK have never disappointed me in any application be that motorcycles or rally car engines making lots of power

If you are not fitting the recommended BMW plugs, be aware that some plugs have an internal resistor fitted and others don't.

Electronic ignition systems generally require an HT series resistor of around 5K Ohms and this is often fitted in the plug cap.

Check your Handbook/Haynes/Clymer manual for what type of plug should be fitted to your bike for both the standard dual output HT coil and the Stick Coils where the engine is dual-plugged.

If you look on www.opieoils.co.uk they often have discounts on different items. I believe they are selling NGK spark plugs at a discount at the moment...

Thanks Guys, the question was really where can I get plugs today without paying BMW prices as the twin spark plugs are not stocked by halfords or many motor factors, in the end I managed to get the 2 secondary plugs from a motor factors, but had to go to BMW for the 2 main plugs, online would have been easy, but I wanted to do my valves, rocker end float and plugs today, all sorted and done now.

Are the Brisk plugs worthwhile? I've read they have to be changed every 3000 miles or so

Yes one set has 25000 miles on. They still look like new. I bought a set for my other 1150. I'd recommend them over ngk you can get them off eBay not much more than the originals

Bosch are good.
NGK are just as good, in fact NGK are better than bosch if you do a lot of city stop start type of riding with a hot engine.

Back
Top Bottom