k1100lt abs

Deleted account 220427001

Reaction score
my abs light is stuck on on the left hand side of the dash board is there any way I can reset it my self my bike is a 1996 k1100lt don't want to go to a bmw garage you see .

Should be ABS II and there should be another light flashing

Locate the Diagnostic plug, Ones I have had here, had a flat three pin connector which clipped into a blue plastic holder to keep the water out in and around the battery area (some were clipped to a side rail and some to the cross rail )

You need to check that there is a Blue ABS relay in the relay box below the tank if its not fitted it needs to go in
also need to check that the bulb in the second lamp is okay (Its needed for the circuit)
and there is a heavy red wire form the battery into the motor section of the ABS it needs to be connected at the battery
there's also a big power relay in the box where the power cable goes but I "think" if only plays a part in the ride off check (both wheel sensors send a signal to ECU )

Resetting is as simple as make sure the battery is fairly well charged

Make a length of wire with both ends bared

and what you have to do is Ground the centre pin to a frame earth a good clean bolt or even better the battery NEGATIVE with your wire

Switch on ignition and making sure pin is grounded hold down the ABS button for say 10 seconds

release button

switch off ignition

Switch on ignition and you should have two lights flashing in sync

If they are alternate then there is a stored ABS fault that you need to get read Most of the failures I have had this last while is one of the ABS sensor being crushed by corrosion Some require a bit of Dremeling to keep the sensor receiver usable !!

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom