Bikes not coveref for theft 500m from house

Insured with Carol Nash , kept in locked garage but was told it is insured if you are in the process of getting it out to go out on it
(wheel it out go back to lock the gate and come through the house )
Don't know how long you have or if you leave it out during the day ?????

I have just bought a new scooter for nipping about town on, and the insurance Co will not insure it fully comp, only third party and no fire or theft. I have full no claims discount, I think they are fed-up with scooters being nicked when over in Spain.:blast

I have a long security cable and lock, to chain it to something solid,( not always easy to find though ), plus an alarmed disk lock. Hopefully they will look elsewhere.

Most bike and car insurance have run that policy for years...but it is normally an overnight cover issue.

You will need to remember fill your claim form in properly should this ever happen :augie

I have had policies where it said "not covered for theft unless locked in a garage during the hours of darkness" - fair enough.
I've also had some where is is at any time - which is no good as even if the garage door was unlocked while doing some gardening or similar you're not covered.

I now just say I keep it on my drive - makes a difference of less than a tenner a year and avoids any possible wiggle room from the insurers.

I've recently renewed and I trawled the web and brokers for a couple of weeks in advance and that seems to be something that's almost unilaterally imposed these days.

It's in my current CN policy, and was the same with Bennets, MCE etc.

Depending on your postcode, you may just have to accept that as a condition, or pay a heavily loaded premium,

Not in mine, it isn't (renewed July 2016)and never has been

The only stipulation is that the bike(s) should be garaged between 2200-0600 - as I have declared that they are garaged overnight

The additional clause is added to the effect that they will increase the excess by a mere £100, in addition to the standard £100 excess, if the bikes are stolen or damaged by attempted theft whilst in the proximity of my dwelling house and thus not garaged between 2200 to 0600

So I can leave them out all night, if I so wish and if nicked it'll cost me an extra £100

No mention of a 500m rule by day or night

Must be your postcode, because it ain't in my CN contract

As Galactic Greyhound has mentioned, get them to quote for keeping it on your drive. It made no difference to the insurance of my 125 scoot, but did make a difference to my 'big' bike.

I did wonder for a nanosecond what they would do if it was stolen from the garage though. I can just imagine the conversation with the insurer.. "Sorry its only covered if its stolen from the drive, not the garage :D "

RBW.

Well after all that I phoned my broker to discuss what it actually meant and it's not part of my policy, the document was sent by mistake! Zenith don't stipulate that at all. Happy with my renewal £200 exactly for the year :)

On mine and next year I will tell them it's kept on the drive. When I phone Devitts for the 5 day free cover the guy made it perfectly clear that if it was nicked with 500 meters of my house I was not covered, regardless of time of day. I thought it was due to it being the free cover but found the same with Hastings , who I have insured with for the year. They actually sent me an email stating this.

I'd love a fecking garage!

Same here. After separation, wife & kids stayed in family home; hefty DIY-built side gate with two padlocked bolts, shed with ground anchor concreted beneath a hole in the floor, two concealed-hasps & padlocks on the shed door, alarm & locks on the bike. Heaven. But now I have a public parking spot in front of my apartment. Y-Anchor, locks, bike cover & CCTV all let me sleep OK. Declared fully to insurer, and I'm still happy with my comp insurance.

I'm not suggesting that!

It says up to 500 metres from the house. I'm not suggesting to leave it overnight but if I was to ride it home and park it out the front for a few minutes whilst I had dinner or sorted out the garage and it got nicked I'd not be covered. If I was riding somewhere and popped in the local shop on the way and it got nicked I wouldn't be covered.

That can't be right?

So if shopping, or popping into a café, or visiting friends, or traveling, or camping, you wouldn't be covered if your bike was stolen? :eek:

my policy with mce is the same, so if i go into the village for a paper and the gs gets nicked- no insurance. bloody crazy.

This can't be real. If it is it's a scam - plain & simple. As a collective body, bikers shouldn't buy such a bogus product. If no-one bought it, they wouldn't be selling it.

FCA guidelines stipulate that all financial institutions must treat customers fairly. I would argue a policy that states a customers bike is not covered for theft under any circumstance within 500m of home is not enforceable. If you suffered a loss whilst in the course of fair and reasonable use, and you had taken fair and reasonable care to not increase risk in any way they would struggle to justify not paying out. Stopping at a petrol station at the end of the road and leaving your bike on the forecourt would be considered fair and reasonable. Leaving your bike on the drive whilst you go and get a garage key after a ride or even leaving the bike on the drive during the course of washing it are all likely to be seen as fair and reasonable.

As others have said, mine stipulates between 22:00 - 6:00...so basically overnight. If my policy stated the bike was never covered within 500m of home I would question that with the underwriter. The problem is you'd likely just get a customer service rep who has no clue re underwriting risk and would therefore be no help re resolving the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not suggesting that!

It says up to 500 metres from the house. I'm not suggesting to leave it overnight but if I was to ride it home and park it out the front for a few minutes whilst I had dinner or sorted out the garage and it got nicked I'd not be covered. If I was riding somewhere and popped in the local shop on the way and it got nicked I wouldn't be covered.

Be a bugger if the shop was 499.99 meters away I would be well pissed off

There was a thread the other day about whether you should declare a hilltop remap. Consensus on the forum was that you should act honestly and in good faith. A pity then they don't do the same.

Not in mine, it isn't (renewed July 2016)and never has been

The only stipulation is that the bike(s) should be garaged between 2200-0600 - as I have declared that they are garaged overnight

The additional clause is added to the effect that they will increase the excess by a mere £100, in addition to the standard £100 excess, if the bikes are stolen or damaged by attempted theft whilst in the proximity of my dwelling house and thus not garaged between 2200 to 0600

So I can leave them out all night, if I so wish and if nicked it'll cost me an extra £100

No mention of a 500m rule by day or night

Must be your postcode, because it ain't in my CN contract

Mine is the same.

Dave

That clause is in the Principal policy in Ireland.
I rang them about before I paid the premium.
If it's stolen while "part of a journey" it's covered.
It's to stop people claiming they have it in a locked garage.......... when they don't even have a garage.

Sent from a OnePlusX

Currently with Bennetts and they stipulate garaged between 22:00 and 06:00 which is fair enough. Just got a quote to compare from BMW insurance and they stipulate:-

125 Garaging Vehicle Requirement
You have agreed that you will keep your vehicle in a locked garage or building either at your home address or at the address declared to us when the vehicle is being used. If a theft or attempted theft of your vehicle happens within a 500 metre radius of your home address or the garaging address when the vehicle is not in a locked garage or building, we will not pay any claim you make for that theft or attempted theft.

that is with Devitts

No way I would consider that.

No way I would consider that.

As none of us should. We should shun the shitty product, and buy the quality product.

But who needs silly theft insurance anyway, when bikes have steering locks... :augie

Back
Top Bottom