Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bikes not coveref for theft 500m from house

Bikes not coveref for theft 500m from house

FCA guidelines stipulate that all financial institutions must treat customers fairly. I would argue a policy that states a customers bike is not covered for theft under any circumstance within 500m of home is not enforceable. If you suffered a loss whilst in the course of fair and reasonable use, and you had taken fair and reasonable care to not increase risk in any way they would struggle to justify not paying out. Stopping at a petrol station at the end of the road and leaving your bike on the forecourt would be considered fair and reasonable. Leaving your bike on the drive whilst you go and get a garage key after a ride or even leaving the bike on the drive during the course of washing it are all likely to be seen as fair and reasonable.

As others have said, mine stipulates between 22:00 - 6:00...so basically overnight. If my policy stated the bike was never covered within 500m of home I would question that with the underwriter. The problem is you'd likely just get a customer service rep who has no clue re underwriting risk and would therefore be no help re resolving the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterMonkey View Post
    I'm not suggesting that!

It says up to 500 metres from the house. I'm not suggesting to leave it overnight but if I was to ride it home and park it out the front for a few minutes whilst I had dinner or sorted out the garage and it got nicked I'd not be covered. If I was riding somewhere and popped in the local shop on the way and it got nicked I wouldn't be covered.
    Be a bugger if the shop was 499.99 meters away I would be well pissed off

There was a thread the other day about whether you should declare a hilltop remap. Consensus on the forum was that you should act honestly and in good faith. A pity then they don't do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkey donkey View Post
    Is it as the crow flies or travel distance??
    You might get paid out for the front wheel and part of the petrol tank

I long recall having no cover 22:00h -06:00 but the blanket anytime is a new one on me

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    Not in mine, it isn't (renewed July 2016)and never has been

The only stipulation is that the bike(s) should be garaged between 2200-0600 - as I have declared that they are garaged overnight

The additional clause is added to the effect that they will increase the excess by a mere £100, in addition to the standard £100 excess, if the bikes are stolen or damaged by attempted theft whilst in the proximity of my dwelling house and thus not garaged between 2200 to 0600

So I can leave them out all night, if I so wish and if nicked it'll cost me an extra £100

No mention of a 500m rule by day or night

Must be your postcode, because it ain't in my CN contract
    Mine is the same.

Dave
    Ya Bugger......

That clause is in the Principal policy in Ireland.
    I rang them about before I paid the premium.
    If it's stolen while "part of a journey" it's covered.
    It's to stop people claiming they have it in a locked garage.......... when they don't even have a garage.

Sent from a OnePlusX

Currently with Bennetts and they stipulate garaged between 22:00 and 06:00 which is fair enough. Just got a quote to compare from BMW insurance and they stipulate:-

125 Garaging Vehicle Requirement
    You have agreed that you will keep your vehicle in a locked garage or building either at your home address or at the address declared to us when the vehicle is being used. If a theft or attempted theft of your vehicle happens within a 500 metre radius of your home address or the garaging address when the vehicle is not in a locked garage or building, we will not pay any claim you make for that theft or attempted theft.

that is with Devitts

No way I would consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by iandavid View Post
    As none of us should. We should shun the shitty product, and buy the quality product.

But who needs silly theft insurance anyway, when bikes have steering locks...

Don't get me started.

I'm insured with them. It is piss-taking to be honest.

I have two bikes on the policy. Takes a while to work this out, but one is insured as garaged (and it is always garaged at night, the few times it wasn't I literally slept in the van with it...) the other one is insured on the driveway, as that one spends some time garaged and some time on private land (comparable to a driveway for insurance purpose) so I went for that on the contract.

I wrote on another post that the "when in use" or "when travelling" clause for overnight theft is extremely vague.
    And I don't like "vague" when I'm paying a couple grand a year to insure the bikes.

The fact that insurances consider only lock ups as garages is another piss taking especially if you live in a city where you will probably have access to underground residential parking and having a lock up means being a millionaire.
    Underground parking where other people (other residents from the building) will have access is considered "on the road".

Being forced to underwrite a fully comp policy, and straight away refuse to quote only for third party and fire and theft is more bullshit.

I'm not discussing the price. I know that in London insurance prices are high. Insurance is a business, not a charity. I just don't really like being forced to buy products I don't want (fully comp) or at least I'd like to see the price difference and then make a decision based on that (I know that fully comp can be cheaper sometimes).
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    [I'm the biggest limit on my bike] [flickr]

FatBiker 66 Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Just had Devitts email me the new policy for new GS coming next week . Yep same old bit covered 500m radius. Asked why - GS is " high on the list of nicked / millennium thefts. They refunded no problem and no complaints.

Got them to re-quote based on keeping on drive i.e. remove the exclusion so covered come what may - policy was £180 more. They ended up being cheapest after doing the old web comparisons and ringing round.
    I asked Devitts do my Ground anchor, pinch pin, 19mm chain anchor lock for garage door , House alarm with contact alarm points on the garage door and door that goes into house and the anchor lock for garage door itself count. Apparently not in the eyes of the underwriters.

Bit that stuck in throat was at no time was it mentioned till I got the policy documents.

Quote Originally Posted by AberdeenAngus View Post
    Know it well. I went to Bruche police college. Believe its gone now.
    I was there in January '79. It's a building site now, lots of houses being built. The old gate house was the only thing left standing when I called in.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkey donkey View Post
    I had that argument also. I then asked if the 500 meters, was , as the crow flys , or following the rd . Another insurance loophole. Fuckin gonks the lot of em.

I found this last year and mentioned it on quite a few threads. I was with IAM surety, now Cornhill, and had been for years. Ended up going to CarolNash last year as they were just about the only company not including this rediculous condition. Cornhill were adamant I would not be insured at any time if I left a bike outside within 1/2 mile of home. So not covered on my drive, round my sisters house, Tescos or just about anywhere in town. One company said up to a mile ffs!!

CN renewal has arrived, as always they're taking the piss, increase of £140 and they now want my blackbird to have an immobiliser fitted. Need to call and see why the HISS isn't good enough or if they've missed that!!

Anyone found any other multi bike insurance company's not doing it, other than CN?

With Carole Nash you always need to negotiate their renewal quote....they will most probably ask you how much you expect to pay!

It's reasonably easy to get insurance for your motorbike when it's not garaged and never will be garaged, lots of people in large towns with no garage buy it. Post #42 confirms as much.

Yes, if you want to get insurance for peanuts (the food of choice for monkeys) and you've told your insurer that your awesome steed is always garaged, as it probably reduces your premium, then it might be seen as reasonable of them to require you to garage it, might it not?

As to, well my bike won't be covered when I fill with petrol down the road or some such shite.....

(A) Do you think your motorbike is at particular risk whilst you carry out this mundane task? No? Great mate, so what the hell are you bleating on about? Yes? Then take suitable precautions, like moving.

(B) The denial of a theft claim from your sister's house 100 yards away, would - if it is to be applied by the insurer - would still have to be proved to be reasonable in law and / or reasonable in line with basic expectations. That is a pretty onerous hurdle for an insurer to leap. The webpages of the world are not full of irate bikermate Bobs from Basingstoke, piss boilingly angry that their claim for theft from their mum's house down the road has been denied, so one is drawn to the inevitable conclusion that it doesn't happen very often.

Should you ever be so unfortunate that it does happen to you, speak to a suitably qualified and interested enough solicitor... most of them will be biker friendly. Oh, and do be sure to report it here, too.

Oh and whilst you are digesting that, ponder how often bods suggest telling an insurer that the bike is kept somewhere else, other than at a primary residence.... as it's cheaper.... Then ponder how many fraudulent claims there are, when bods just get tired of their bike or just want some money. It's a dog eat dog world; just try to avoid getting bitten, too often.

(B) The denial of a theft claim from your sister's house 100 yards away, would - if it is to be applied by the insurer - would still have to be proved to be reasonable in law and / or reasonable in line with basic expectations. That is a pretty onerous hurdle for an insurer to leap. The webpages of the world are not full of irate bikermate Bobs from Basingstoke, piss boilingly angry that their claim for theft from their mum's house down the road has been denied, so one is drawn to the inevitable conclusion that it doesn't happen very often.
    That is correct Wapping.
    I always previously declared my bike a "on the road" for years, even if it was garaged. I paid more, but ease of mind.

Some insurers will still require a postcode for where the bike is kept "at night" (8pm to 8am) though.
    Being a vehicle and not a bloody kettle, and insuring it for commuting and social purposes it "might" come to mind that sometimes one uses the motorbike, say, to go and visit friends, out for dinner, etc. etc.
    In those cases, with some policies, you would be completely uncovered.

Yes, you can insure elsewhere, but also... yes, it is sometimes confusing.

It's reasonably easy to get insurance for your motorbike when it's not garaged and never will be garaged
    No, it is not on more expensive bikes. Even when garaged. At least in bigger towns or London.
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    [I'm the biggest limit on my bike] [flickr]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast