Bikes not coveref for theft 500m from house

WaterMonkey

Reaction score
So looks like a new thing for this year is that if you declare your bike as being kept in a garage, then it is only covered for theft from your garage and would not be covered if it is stolen within 500 metres from your home.

What do people think of this?
If you got your bike out of the garage and left it on the road/drive whilst you got yourself ready to go and it was stolen it wouldn't be covered.

I hope you're right! The next line of the policy says "This restriction does not apply to any loss or damage occurring whilst your motorcycle is parked during the course of a journey" so I guess you could argue it was part of a journey.

Just insured a bike yesterday, and informed that, not covered if stolen from within the boundary of your property, at any time of day, unless it's in a locked garage !!!

Just insured a bike yesterday, and informed that, not covered if stolen from within the boundary of your property, at any time of day, unless it's in a locked garage !!!

...and you accepted that condition ?

...and you accepted that condition ?

I've recently renewed and I trawled the web and brokers for a couple of weeks in advance and that seems to be something that's almost unilaterally imposed these days. It's in my current CN policy, and was the same with Bennets, MCE etc.

Depending on your postcode, you may just have to accept that as a condition, or pay a heavily loaded premium,

I've recently renewed and I trawled the web and brokers for a couple of weeks in advance and that seems to be something that's almost unilaterally imposed these days. It's in my current CN policy, and was the same with Bennets, MCE etc.

Depending on your postcode, you may just have to accept that as a condition, or pay a heavily loaded premium,
That's a bummer.

Why not insure it as being kept in your driveway?

I think that any premium saving for being kept in a locked garage is negligible as they want your custom.

Know it well. I went to Bruche police college. Believe its gone now.

Yes indeed, closed it's doors about 10 years ago iirc, I still don't think that much has happened with it. There where plans to build houses, but others wanted it returning to a green field site, so as far as I know, it's sat there idle at the moment.

Don't have a garage so I don't declare it's kept in a garage. Mine's kept locked in a gated back yard on the drive and that's what I declare to the insurance... why would you leave it anywhere but the garage if you actually have a garage? I'd love a fecking garage!

Don't have a garage so I don't declare it's kept in a garage. Mine's kept locked in a gated back yard on the drive and that's what I declare to the insurance... why would you leave it anywhere but the garage if you actually have a garage? I'd love a fecking garage!

Exactly - basically the insurance companies are saying 'if you have a garage at home then you should use it because that is what we are basing the premium on' - if you want to leave the bike on the drive when it is at home them tell them and they will either adjust your premium accordingly or decline to insure you (especially if you live in a high crime area)

why would you leave it anywhere but the garage if you actually have a garage? I'd love a fecking garage!

I'm not suggesting that!

It says up to 500 metres from the house. I'm not suggesting to leave it overnight but if I was to ride it home and park it out the front for a few minutes whilst I had dinner or sorted out the garage and it got nicked I'd not be covered. If I was riding somewhere and popped in the local shop on the way and it got nicked I wouldn't be covered.

Exactly - basically the insurance companies are saying 'if you have a garage at home then you should use it because that is what we are basing the premium on' - if you want to leave the bike on the drive when it is at home them tell them and they will either adjust your premium accordingly or decline to insure you (especially if you live in a high crime area)

I expect better from an engineer!

Mine just stipulates a time period where unless the bike is in use it must be in the garage, 2200 - 0600 in the garage unless being used, i don't bother with some of my bikes i just say its parked outside and I take reasonable precautions, when they ask what precautions I just say what evers been fitted from the factory, ignition and steering lock in most cases. Perhaps its the low crime area I live but the difference in premium is not that significant

Back
Top Bottom