Quietening the engine clattering

MrMcNamara

Reaction score
Dont know about the rest of you guys but the clattering of our engines when warm / off load was really getting on my wick! I came up with the idea of stripping off the bodywork & applying soundproofing in an attempt to remedy. I completed today & wow, what a difference - looks like the plastics act as the body of an acoustic guitar & amplify the engine rattles.
I have applied commercially available sound deadening material -closed cell 10mm thick fire resistant foam with a self adhesive backing to the inside of the grey side panels, snorkel panels, silver winglets (excl mount areas) None of this can be seen when the parts are in place, or are near any hot components. will let you know how I go on long term but for now a massive improvement!

Interesting as I've often considered the bodywork to be responsible for the clatter. The screen also reflects a fair amount of noise - in relly hot weather I take it off and am always surprised by the difference. Also ones visor reflects in the same way when partially open. Doubt I would go to the trouble of adding soundproofing material but interested in your experience!

Mmmm Interesting I use peanut butter in mine but only use the one with the blue top. Mine now runs very smooth. A good jar full in the oil filler cap did the trick :drool

Removed the valve covers and the noise is caused by backlash in the cam gearing.
It's possible, I'm told, to order oversized parts to cure this.

Sad...,,, just use ear plugs, your ears will benefit too :)

Might have known you would make your usual negative comment! Just what Engineering qualification do you purport to hold?? I see no evidence of any engineering prowess whatsoever in any of your comments?

serious response!

30 years ago i had a car that was noisy so was advised to stick some really thick oil, there was a brand name and it did reduce the engine noise down ready for resale...

is it because motorcycle oil so thin we can hear noise? right about the earplugs though, Cannot ride any bike without them.

Might have known you would make your usual negative comment! Just what Engineering qualification do you purport to hold?? I see no evidence of any engineering prowess whatsoever in any of your comments?

I see no engineering reason for stuffing a motorcycle with sound deadening material, the reasons are almost certainly psychological, which is a bit of a worry.

What year is your clattery one? FWIW, the 2015 I rented recently was noticeably quieter at idle and when revving than my 2013, and smoother at 85 mph too. Not that the noise bothers me, but it was an interesting difference. The 2015 had more miles, too, 43k versus 29k on my bike.

I used to fix car body work...when I was young, and we used a very heavy self adhesive bitumen sheet to line the inside of replacement car doors, bonnets, boots and roof skins, in fact anywhere where there was an expanse of flat metal that could resonate or that separated a noisy compartment (engine bay) from a quiet compartment (interior).

The sheet is black, about 3mm thick and very dense, you can mould it to any shape with a warm air gun and it is very effective. It's what is used to make car doors shut with a nice expensive solid clunk! Cars do have it fitted as standard but new replacement panels usually don't, hence the need to fit it onto replacement panels to do a nice job.

Try any motor trade car body factor, I'm sure that it will still be available.

Personal Messaging v Visitor messages

contact me directly, I will forward details (Ebay - cheap as chips)

How does one contact you directly?

contact me privatley member to member

Yes, but how do I do that without your contact details?

I'm guessing MrMcNamara is asking for a PM, but I think these are limited to subscribers only. There is a visitor message facility accessed in members profiles, perhaps that could be used? I'm not sure if these are private or public though?

you are truly a first class Penis! maybe you should change your tag

Thanks but how do you know, you are not my girlfriend :) but seriously don't you think it's a bit weird stuffing a motorcycle with sound deadening material? It makes perfect sense in cars but motorcycles? If you don't wear ear plugs the the wind noise will drown out all the engine noise once you have a bit of speed, on top of that the wind noise will soon destroy your hearing and then you will only have tinnitus to worry about.