Parking in Dublin

essjay

Reaction score
Have a question lads....

I work around Grand Canal Dock and live in Drogheda (to and from Connolly). I'm starting a course this week in Griffith College and trying to figure my way around.

Does anyone know if it's possible to insure a bike which I might leave permanently in work? Something super cheap to get to Griffith from work and back again. Then I'll stroll back down to Connolly or to Pearse. Even parking in Connolly station might be an option for 2 nights a week but I don't know if that's possible.

A push bike is an option but I'd prefer not be a sweaty mess by the time I get there. Bus is also an option but means a 20 minute walk up to Fleet St.

Thanks....

Hi essjay, long time no hear. I cant pm you so here we go . . . . . If you insure another bike (to leave at work) it's fine as long as you dont tell them you leave it there. Most bike policies now have a clause that says the bikes not covered for theft if its "outside your home address". Alternatively does your current insurer give you coverage (3rd party) on any other bike as long as its not owned or registered in your name ? :augie

... does your current insurer give you coverage (3rd party) on any other bike as long as its not owned or registered in your name ? :augie
Not trying to be a miserable sod (i dont need to try :rolleyes: :p ) but wouldn't that Bike need to have an insewerance policy of its own for it to be covered under your 'third party cover for Bikes you dont own'?
I think insurers call it an "insurable interest" or something.

Not trying to be a miserable sod (i dont need to try :rolleyes: :p ) but wouldn't that Bike need to have an insewerance policy of its own for it to be covered under your 'third party cover for Bikes you dont own'?
I think insurers call it an "insurable interest" or something.

Hi Marc, some insurers say that the "other" vehicle has to be insured others dont. Our car insurers are a good example of this. My car policy wants cover on the other vehicle but my wifes policy doesn't. You need to read the terms & conditions and exclusions.

Cheers lads. I figured as much. Just get the bike but don't tell them I leave it in work. Funny thing is, the basement garage in work is more secure than home. Has 24 hour security, flood prevention doors, swipe card access only etc.....

I'm not currently on a bike either. So going to have to get something within 9 months to keep the no claims alive

dublin bike pass for €20 a year.
take your time and you wont be all in a sweat, no worries about bike being stolen, no insurance etc...
I work in the city centre and regularly use them for jaunts up to about 5k. And you're not talking any more than that!!

dublin bike pass for €20 a year.
take your time and you wont be all in a sweat, no worries about bike being stolen, no insurance etc...
I work in the city centre and regularly use them for jaunts up to about 5k. And you're not talking any more than that!!

But, but BUT ~ they require something i believe is called 'ped-all-ing'!!! :eek:

Yeah have a bike card but really don't fancy cycling through the city. It's mental! I'd have to lock the bike at Griffith as no bike drop off point

Back
Top Bottom