A 1955 Wooler 500cc 4-cylinder (document):

Voyager

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
While I was picking up some rusty 'Tiger Cub' parts, the seller - who was clearing his 92-year-old father's house - started looking through his dad's 'bike papers', hoping to find the buff logbook for the Cub.

His dad had, over very many years, owned Brough Superiors & Vincents, but he wanted to keep the paperwork to show his dad in the Nursing Home.

In the box was a 'four-page glossy' for a 1955 Wooler 500cc four cylinder, shaft-drive bike in black and chrome . . . .

I always thought that Woolers were twins and came in yellow - hence the "Flying Banana" tag they acquired.

Has anyone ever seen one of these bikes ???

I must do some Google Searching ;).

img004_zpsrcbi0yrv.jpg

img003_zpsvkw5zbwz.jpg

img005_zps3ilce0yp.jpg

img006_zps1na7j0vl.jpg

(Grrr - Why won't two of these images display correctly ??? They are the correct way up on Photobucket :mad:).

It must have been quite a machine in its day if it indeed hit the market (there is a registration number in the pictures so I guess some were made).

Fascinating.

Bob.

Thanks Peter,

Only five made - I had a feeling that this wasn't a volume-production bike as I have never encountered it before.

That partially-dismantled motor isn't from the four (it had me confused). The cylinder orientation is wrong and the crank-operated valves wouldn't work on a four cylinder. I guess its a twin ;).

All added to the comprehensive store of useless information stored in my ageing brain :D.

(all the pictures are now the right way up. I guess Photobucket takes time to commit orientation changes :nenau).

Bob.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom