Young German girl had her bike stolen in Edinburgh.... anyone of assistance?

Tarka

Reaction score
I've just seen a thread on ADVrider in the 'regional' section (European subforum).

There's a young German girl been touring about and some scumbag has stolen her bike.

I've offered assistance but I'm not exactly local.
Just wondering if anyone nearer may be able to assist in any way?

I can't copy and paste a link from my tablet so you'd have to pop over to ADVrider.

We used to have loads of problems in the late 80's and early 90's with foreign tourers coming off the Newcastle Ferries getting their bikes and kit stolen, unfortunately most of them came from countries where the majority of people are honest , type of places where you don't need to lock your bike and can leave your lid hanging on the mirror with no problems .

Eventually we started to leave fliers out at the ferry terminal warning them of bike theft and getting in touch with German bike magazines just to get them to pass the information on to their readers .

Nice job for the BMF or MAG perhaps ?

Latest update via "Bootlace" who first met her and also broke the news of the theft on ADVrider

"OK. So we have some good news and some bad news...

The bike has been recovered, but is too badly damaged to ride, so she will almost certainly welcome any assistance on offer, re repairer etc.

Trusting your mate in Edinburgh is a good chap...

Her name is Maike and her email is maialb@yahoo(I've inserted the word dot to avoid spam)de

I have her number if anyone wanted to contact direct.

It would be good to mention that Bootlace gave the contact details.

Cheers mate, any help would be appreciated. "

I'll PM you a direct copy from Boot's PM to me.

That'll be the same as the one Bootlace sent me, Tarka. It just bounces...:nenau. Ive texted her but haven't heard back. I pointed her at Saltire Motorcycles, the local Yamaha dealership. I've also texted Calum, the owner there and said that if she does contact them, to let her know I can probably sort out accommodation for her in Edinburgh.

Sorry to hear about you guys having difficulties with trying to make contact.

I've just messaged Bootlace to double check the email and number that he sent me.

Maike's texted me back. I think the bike is now in Saltire Motorcycles as I suggested. I texted my friend Calum who owns Saltire and let him know what had happened to her. I've offered to sort out accommodation for her but she says she's booked into a hostel until Friday but might need somewhere after that. She seems pretty grateful for the little help we've been able to offer so far. Nice to know that folks care. :)

We used to have loads of problems in the late 80's and early 90's with foreign tourers coming off the Newcastle Ferries getting their bikes and kit stolen, unfortunately most of them came from countries where the majority of people are honest , type of places where you don't need to lock your bike and can leave your lid hanging on the mirror with no problems .

Eventually we started to leave fliers out at the ferry terminal warning them of bike theft and getting in touch with German bike magazines just to get them to pass the information on to their readers .

Nice job for the BMF or MAG perhaps ?

I remember those days. I went to visit Paul Blezard when he was running the Motor Project at Langbaurgh and he filled me in on the problem of TWOCers. Calum Murray at Saltire Motorcycles, has previously offered secure parking for a nominal fee to touring motorcyclists but I don't think the word has got out there enough. I've just had a wee text discussion with him about how we need an information campaign, possibly with the Tourist Board to make the problem of motorcycle theft in Edinburgh more widely publicised.

Neither Police Scotland nor the Tourist Board will ever want to admit in public that there is a bike theft problem in a specific area as it will both effect their reputation and potential visitor numbers , foreign visitors need to made aware via the press in their own country (so they can bring a bike lock and book accomodation with secure parking) or at their point of entry into the country (in their own language)

I remember those days. I went to visit Paul Blezard when he was running the Motor Project at Langbaurgh and he filled me in on the problem of TWOCers. Calum Murray at Saltire Motorcycles, has previously offered secure parking for a nominal fee to touring motorcyclists but I don't think the word has got out there enough. I've just had a wee text discussion with him about how we need an information campaign, possibly with the Tourist Board to make the problem of motorcycle theft in Edinburgh more widely publicised.

Neither Police Scotland nor the Tourist Board will ever want to admit in public that there is a bike theft problem in a specific area as it will both effect their reputation and potential visitor numbers , foreign visitors need to made aware via the press in their own country (so they can bring a bike lock and book accomodation with secure parking) or at their point of entry into the country (in their own language)

Not quite.... It's got so bad in Edinburgh that Police Scotland have had to recognise the problem. http://www.scotland.police.uk/whats...orcycle-crime-operation-launched-in-edinburgh How successful this has been is another thing entirely.

Back
Top Bottom