Hard Knott Pass Lakes

batman1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm which is the easiest route over the Hard Knott Pass in the lakes, east to west or west to east, I've promised my pillion a ride over it on Sunday.

Somebody reckoned that one way is more difficult than the other if you are carrying a pillion due to the steepness of climb and a couple of awkward bends near the top. :thumb2

I went solo east to west on my Road King. Yep tight steep bends and a welcome pint afterwards in the Woolpack. Can't speak for west to east.
There was a couple in the group who turned back, god knows where, I only missed them on arrival at the Woolpack. (his wife didn't feel comfortable with it).

If it can be done on my barge I would think any other bike should eat it.

Going up hardknott and down Wrynose is probably the difficult way but it's subjective. I personally don't think either way is that hard as long as the cagers arent fookin about on the turns.

Sent from SYDland...

Go both ways its great just take it easy as some corners tighten up more than you would expect and can catch you out if you dont know the road but once done a few times its no worse than any other

It's steeper west to east, but that still leaves you with Wyrnose Pass, which in my opinion is more difficult due to limited visibility and the narrowness of the roads, either way round just try and time it so you don't meet a car on the bends, if you do you will need very long legs. It's a great route that Iv'e 100's times and I'll be doing again on Friday morning, enjoy.

West to East last summer, two up with luggage...made me sweat a bit ;)

The pic was just before the sweaty bit :augie

Aye it's a nadgery wee run ,,there's bits where you DO need to pay attention :D

Having a run out tomorrow, did the dales today so might go lakes, not done the passes for ages....

The Wrynose is a doddle in either direction, but the Hardknott has a few nasty, tight, bumpy hairpins in both directions. It's probably slightly more difficult east to west. The main thing is to watch out for cars and make sure there are none on the corners as you make your ascent :thumby:

Oh, and check out Wasdale and Langdale whilst you're there - they're the prettiest views in England :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 839
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 836
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 850
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to it now!

Nice photos Sven & Bryn, Cheers

Two up east to west................

........"Where's she gone?........."

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 724
If pressed I would say East to West is marginally easier.
If the roads are clear it's a piece of piss and far scarier in a car than on a bike because the car takes up most of the tarmac but on a bike there is plenty of wiggle room!
Hardknott definitely harder than Wrynose.

Weather is looking good to ok for Sunday so I'd be tempted to do it before 9 am as later in the day there will be hordes of tourists.

Last time I did it was a month or so back and I did them both about 8.30 am. Through the whole length of both passes I only met 4 walkers, a few lazy sheep had to be chicaned around and I had to weave my way through the middle of a herd of cows ambling their way to somewhere......

Whichever way you do it come back to the bottom of Wrynose and take the turning signposted Langdale for some glorious views of Bowfell et al :beerjug:

Ha Ha, lovely shot......Clearly it wasn't steep enough for you Spout!

Actually your words take me back to being a teenager when my brother set off far too quick on his Tiger 110 and he left his girlfriend sat in the road, although not hurt her leather coat suffered a bit of gravel rash!

I've cycled up it a few times in both directions!

It's bloody hard work :rob :D

i'd say east to west - reason - hardnott has some very tight hairpins and I would prefer them climbing rather than braking through them.

It's a public road for heaven's sake!

Okay an interesting one - I've been over it on everything from an FJ1200 to a KLX250.... get a grip on yourselves, please!

:rob

It's a public road for heaven's sake!

Okay an interesting one - I've been over it on everything from an FJ1200 to a KLX250.... get a grip on yourselves, please!

:rob

The voice of reason as usual, although doing in North to South is impossible:D

Back
Top Bottom